Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #113

Lots of interesting comments... We've not crossed the Canadian border in our Motorhome yet, but probably will in the future; we will leave or weapons at home.
A couple of comments:
1- CCW permit holders are generally some of the most law-abiding citizens around. In any state that grants them, you can only get them if you pass a background check.
2- federal law prohibits persons from buying handguns on a state other than their state of residence; don't plan on buying a handgun in Alaska unless that is where you reside.

Jorge
1990 HR Limited 37
JorgeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #114

Monaco Owners Club
Having crossed both ways many times I've found as a Canadian coming back into Canada I get a harder time than when going into the US. Some real rude
Canadian border guards but they are outnumbered by the more polite ones.

Even in uniform once a Canadian border guard gave me hard time - until after repeated statements that I had to prove my citizenship and military ID was not sufficient etc(pre 911 and this had never happened before and a passport was not required), I finally pulled out my government courier documents (exempted me and my luggage from searches) and then she shut up and let me through.

When we travel in the RV we usually check the rules on what is and what is not allowed in (groceries, veggies/meats etc. both ways. It always changes!

One time US border guard was not happy with me was when I forgot to shut off the genny and the exhaust was blowing right into his shack.

It seems to have gotten easier lately with veteran's plates on my vehicles but that could just be me.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Did you have any trouble getting back into the states with the 5 remaining shotgun shells (or more if you had any doubles)?

Nope.....
Only thing inspected on way back in was the 'number of birds'
(actually breasted out with just one wing left to prove they were white wing doves)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olroache View Post
I was on a cross country trip in my classic 1970 caddy going into Niagara Falls. I reviewed the info on the website downloaded the forms in order to bring a handgun in to CAN. When I got to the border they said the website was incorrect and only long guns could be declared and brought in and I would have to leave my Glock at the border and return to the same crossing to get it when finished with my sightseeing. I pulled up to the office. Another car pulled up next to me. Agents preceded to go through that car with a fine tooth comb. I was traveling with my wife, 2 daughters and my niece. I went in my trunk pulled out the locked case containing the Glock and walked inside. They took it, tagged it, gave me a receipt and said see you in two days. Two days later when I returned they just handed it back wished me well and that was that. This is what stood out for me

1. They were VERY nice on both occasions

2. At first, having to return to the same border crossing put a wrench in our travel as we planned to go through Canada down into Michigan by the Great Lakes and then down into Chicago. Instead we had to go through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, etc to get to Chicago. IT WAS WONDERFUL going through that part of the country especially for my girls who were 10&12 at the time.

3. When re-entering the country I must say we got the most unfriendly border agent. Here we are 3 American citizens , my wife and niece British citizens, traveling in a vintage Cadillac with California plates,

you would’ve thought we were on the FBI’s most wanted list. Other than that it was glorious. This was 2004.

So 2 points, Being forthright caused you no inconvenience, and since you didn’t really need your gun, you had free storage.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #117

so I've crossed over like a half dozen times now. every time has been a breeze, a few minutes of questions, just questions no searches and have a nice day. I cross over again next month. anyone who plays the odds would say I'm gonna hear gloves snap on...
2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
so I've crossed over like a half dozen times now. every time has been a breeze, a few minutes of questions, just questions no searches and have a nice day. I cross over again next month. anyone who plays the odds would say I'm gonna hear gloves snap on...
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR View Post
REALLY! Do you really believe that the feds do not track such items. Part of obtaining a CCW permit is a FEDERAL BACKGROUND CHECK. Do you think they check me as an individual and just throw that post-a note away?

We live in an Orwellian time and the amount of information the feds have on any of us would scare us if we knew the truth.
We crossed into Canada from New York. Th agent ask about guns at home. He seemed to know I had Kansas Hunting license. Not sure how, but he ask a lot about my shotgun that I never mentioned until he specifically ask.. Who knows whats on their screen.
Racer Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:41 AM   #120

A week ago we crossed into Canada north of Culbertson, MT (US-2 was in terrible shape). Easiest crossing ever... Agent peeked into the pickup cap with a light as I had the back locked, asked the usual questions about money, bear spray, guns, ammunition, holsters, mace and said, "Have a safe trip" About 5 minutes and he had to walk back to run the passports as we were too high to get to the window. Canada to Alaska equally quick and easy. Boys seemed to be getting mellow. And yes, I have a CCW permit from 2 states.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #121

there have been some post claiming harder to get into Canada then back down to the states. My experience the opposite, on returning to the states it takes twice as long, twice the questions. they did a quick look in the basement once. My GF is Canadian so maybe easier to get into Canada but not back down ??
2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:07 PM   #122

That motorhome is still sitting at the border.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:09 AM   #123

I've been up to Canada twice so far. Canadian crossing has been nothing but trouble. They always try to ask me the same questions then claim that I said something that I didn't say the first time they asked. First time took me almost an hour to get through. Second time, I just showed them my dashcam footage proving that I didn't say what they claimed I said. I don't know, maybe I just look like an axe murderer or something.

The way back down to the states was always nice and quick. Where'd you go in Canada? How long were you there? Can I see your passport? Welcome back home and drive safely.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #124

No one is supposed to be using cameras or recording devices in border & customs areas for good reason. You should have deactivated yours. If you didn't have a flag on your name for Homeland Security...you do now.
ChuckandSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:44 PM   #125

That's US law. Canada is a different country and doesn't have the same laws. Canada doesn't mind people using dashcams at ports of entry as long as it doesn't interfere with the customs officers.

Coming back in the states is a different story. Then you definitely should.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #126

Dashcams at the borders:

https://clearit.ca/canadian-customs-...s-ports-entry/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote