Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #85

Interesting !

Visited Canada for the first time last summer. 60 yo retired firefighter. 30' 5th wheel behind a 200 F350 dually 7.3. Understand public service and challenges of LE. First stop at the booth going in to Canada am asked if I have have any firearms with me, I say no and am asked if I have any at home, laugh and tell them I live in in Idaho and yes I have guns. She asked what kinds and I told her multilples but none gong to Canada. Was directed to secondary and went inside the office while the inspection was done. After 30 minutes an officer came and got me and asked that I come out and open my slides. While walking out to the 5th wheel the officer told me he had smelled marijuana in the 5th wheel. I told him I don't partake and the previous owner who was 78 probably did not either. He then said that as I was from California I was suspect. Told him I had lived in So Cal 40 + years ago but nothing in the 5th wheel was suspect. After putting the slides out returned to the office area and after another 30 minutes of searching ? he came and told us we were good too go. He was professional but obviously overeaching, the question as to whether I own guns at home has no bearing on my visit to Canada, the accusation that he smelled pot was ridiculous and my having grown up 45 years prior in So California was significant in his mind. Border agents everywhere have a tough job, but I was taken aback at the reception we received in Canada.
rimrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #86

Entegra Owners Club
Canada is very serious about their gun rules. While I support the second amendment, it does not apply in Canada. I don’t blame them for wanting no part of the mass shootings seen too often on TV. I am curious as I will be passing into Canada (without guns) next month for the first time since I received my license to carry. Have done it numerous times before, each time with the greatest of ease. We’ll see what happens this time.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #87

When we entered Canada two years ago, the first question was do you have any guns. I said “not with me”. BP Agent said both Montana (lic. Plate of RV) and Florida (lic. Plate of our toad) are gun friendly states. He asked how many guns my wife and I owned. I told him five handguns and one rifle. He again asked if I had any with us and if not why not. I told him I read the blogs and knew it was not legal to take a handgun into Canada. We were pulled over and after a through search of both RV, including basement compartments and our toad by five agents we were thanked and allowed to continue into Canada. There was no question in my mind that he knew we had the concealed carry permits and guns registered in Florida. Thus the reason for such a through search.
FrankMulliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #88

No 1 reaason to travel to Mexico

Thanks for reminding everyone about what they stand to lose with what I've actually seen happen even if you have one cartridge in some compartment crossing into Mexico. (A guy next to me lost his dully truck because of one shell.) And in today's more strict Mexico, there's no bribing your way out of it either.

Still it's nice to get away from the "gun culture" and the relentless banter of various blow-hard's gun tales once you get down far enough "into the bush". In fact for me personally this is one of the nicest things I've found about getting out of the US for a while. Is nice to live a little and not worry about whose gun is doing what or the lines of fear that surround most American's lives, even if it is just for a little while :-) .
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Hand guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
As long as you're not carrying, there should be no problem. However, if you have a handgun with you and the ferry has a problem that requires them to land in Canada, you better have a plan. A few years ago a small tour boat that operates out of Valdez hit some rocks while en route from Seattle to Valdez. The Captain landed in Canada for emergency repairs and got into a real problem because he carried one or more handguns on the boat. (no passengers on this trip). I don't know all the details but for a while there was discussions about the boat being confiscated, long prison stays and fines of no end. As I said, it's not that you cannot do it, but you might do some research if you carry, on your person or in baggage.
Interesting, This is not too far off that subject.
I was Flying a USAF aircraft back from Alaska and 5 of us on the crew stopped in Canada for fuel. Upon a quick inspection of our passports; a very polite Customs agent commented to me; I"m not even going to ask if you have weapons onboard" I grinned and she walked away with a smile.
I didn't have the heart to tell her that only the Flight Engineer had the 9m with him as SOP. The other times driving and flying across the boarder in civilian attire I've never been bothered and the questions always appeared to be brief and to the point. I do have to say though that 15 years ago in an RV with the family I had some delays coming back from Canada to the US. The major question at the US boarder was do you have any "Cuban Cigars?" not sure why they asked that with 3 young kids and a wife in the RV? Maybe there was a run on Cuban cigars arriving into the states that year.
rlsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsharp View Post
Interesting, This is not too far off that subject.
I was Flying a USAF aircraft back from Alaska and 5 of us on the crew stopped in Canada for fuel. Upon a quick inspection of our passports; a very polite Customs agent commented to me; I"m not even going to ask if you have weapons onboard" I grinned and she walked away with a smile.
I didn't have the heart to tell her that only the Flight Engineer had the 9m with him as SOP. The other times driving and flying across the boarder in civilian attire I've never been bothered and the questions always appeared to be brief and to the point. I do have to say though that 15 years ago in an RV with the family I had some delays coming back from Canada to the US. The major question at the US boarder was do you have any "Cuban Cigars?" not sure why they asked that with 3 young kids and a wife in the RV? Maybe there was a run on Cuban cigars arriving into the states that year.
I flew heavy transports in the USAF for 21 years so I know what you're talking about. Our guidance was that the plane was US soil and inviolate as far as inspection, confiscation, or even questioning. If something was removed from the plane it was then fair game for whatever the "host" country called it's rules. That was why we had a secure gun box on the plane secured to the plane and why weapons and any other (objectionable) materials such as certain magazines could be secured when we were not physically present. A passenger on a ferry would not have the same protections if forced to dock for major repairs when they could not stay aboard or secure their possessions aboard indefinitely.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #91

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I still think the best option if you must have a side arm in Alaska is to either buy it there or ship from/to a FFL dealer. I know some people will declare and pack it in checked baggage on commercial flights. Always the unexpected lading issue.

If you go to Alaska frequently, perhaps just store one there with a trusted person or business.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:32 PM   #92

Always, ALWAYS Be Polite.

During a weekended ride around Lake Michigan my friends and I took an overnight trip into Canada in 2014 and when my friends and I came back into the US this happened. We were riding our motorcycles and approached the US Custom's booth. The guy leading us that day gave him his passport and they sent him on his way as well as the 2nd. guy. I rode up and gave him my mine and he asked me a few questions and then asked if I could put down the kickstand and get off of the motorcycle. I said yes thinking that they needed me to take my helmet off to verify that it was the same as the passport picture.

He then asked me to step to the back of my bike and when I did 5 officers " 2 from the front and 3 from behind " approached me with their weapons drawn aimed at me. I thought it was that tv show called " What Would You Do ? " which it was NOT.

They handcuffed me and took me inside. The whole time we were all polite to each other as there was no reason not to be.

It turned out that they had a Warrant for a man with the same name and birthday as mine ( MY FULL NAME IS VERY COMMON ) who was known to be ARMED & DANGEROUS.

Well, after about 30 minutes it was confirmed that it was mistaken identity. They gave me some paperwork for me to file a complaint. I gave that paperwork back to them and asked where can I write to praise them for doing their job.

Be polite and all will be good. I could have caused a stink and it could have gotten a lot worse for everyone involved. I have never worn handcuffs until that day and I am close to 60. I have thought numerous times though that I should change my name.

I had a GoPro mounted on my motorcycle to film our ride and when we left the hotel that morning I turned it on to document another part of our ride and I have the whole thing recorded. It was funny to watch them walk me away in handcuffs and they even pushed my Harley to the side.

IronRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:45 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post
Sort of a question for this thread..... We are looking to spend some time going to Canada this summer. I store a few weapons in the coach but will be leaving them home as most of you know, Canada does not allow US citizens to carry into CN. However, having had the weapons and ammunition in the coach, some have mentioned that there will be dogs checking RV and vans etc. I'm guessing I might get the evil eye if the dogs smell my past storing of ammunition. Has anyone experienced this?
Went into Canada with the motorhome one time in 1994. Was asked at the border if I had any firearms and said yes. I was able to leave it there at the border, spend our day in Montreal and pick it up on the way back. Was not a problem. I did have to wait about an hour before they returned it to me so I assumed they were running checks on it. MoMule
MoMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:19 AM   #94

Been There

I was on a cross country trip in my classic 1970 caddy going into Niagara Falls. I reviewed the info on the website downloaded the forms in order to bring a handgun in to CAN. When I got to the border they said the website was incorrect and only long guns could be declared and brought in and I would have to leave my Glock at the border and return to the same crossing to get it when finished with my sightseeing. I pulled up to the office. Another car pulled up next to me. Agents preceded to go through that car with a fine tooth comb. I was traveling with my wife, 2 daughters and my niece. I went in my trunk pulled out the locked case containing the Glock and walked inside. They took it, tagged it, gave me a receipt and said see you in two days. Two days later when I returned they just handed it back wished me well and that was that. This is what stood out for me

1. They were VERY nice on both occasions
2. At first, having to return to the same border crossing put a wrench in our travel as we planned to go through Canada down into Michigan by the Great Lakes and then down into Chicago. Instead we had to go through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, etc to get to Chicago. IT WAS WONDERFUL going through that part of the country especially for my girls who were 10&12 at the time.
3. When re-entering the country I must say we got the most unfriendly border agent. Here we are 3 American citizens , my wife and niece British citizens, traveling in a vintage Cadillac with California plates,
you would’ve thought we were on the FBI’s most wanted list. Other than that it was glorious. This was 2004.
Olroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:07 AM   #95

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMule View Post
Went into Canada with the motorhome one time in 1994. Was asked at the border if I had any firearms and said yes. I was able to leave it there at the border, spend our day in Montreal and pick it up on the way back. Was not a problem. I did have to wait about an hour before they returned it to me so I assumed they were running checks on it. MoMule
A lot of things have changed since 1994, especially after 2001.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:25 AM   #96

Misinformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyman195 View Post
Dogs are trained at sniffing nitrates of which gunpowder is a nitrate but bullets are sealed off and a dog would not be able to pick such a minute smell given off by bullets.
I am not sure where you got your information harleyman195. I drove onto a US Air Force base to work and the military dog alerted and discovered two rifle rounds I had on the back floor of my truck. I had no idea they were there since target shooting weeks earlier. I was not in trouble but the dog definitely sniffed out two rounds from walking around outside the truck.
ChuckandSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OR.....
Transmission quit, engine blew, drive line fell out, rear differential seized, or or or or or

Driver had a medical emergency.........
Just why in the world would border authorities seize the rear differential?
JerryTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
We live in B.C. close to the Border and cross frequently. I don't see a difference in the border agents either side. The odd time you may get a snarky one but like I say it happens both ways. They have a job to do and with the amount of people they have to deal with in a day has a big factor of dealing with stupids, hence bad moods.
I 2nd the above. I have encountered good and bad on both sides.
Jgriff1954 is offline   Reply With Quote