Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Bears, bears and more bears

Hi,

I'm interested in reading some bear stories! I'll start off ...

I was staying at a campground in central BC near Kamloops. The area is known for black bears and also free range cattle. The first year I stayed at this park, I picked a site at the edge of the forest and noticed a path heading into the forest from my site. Sure enough, early one morning (5:00 am and still dark), I hear the occasional branch snap off in the distance and the sound gets closer and closer, then I can hear the actual steps and they got closer and closer, then I can heard it breathing right by my tent (no trailer or RV at the time). I immediately sit upright and listen ... I hear the bear eventually go over to my picnic table (nothing there except the water jug) and eventually the bear leaves my site and continues on. Well, when it got light, I was real curious as to how close it actually got to my tent; no exageration, the closest print was two feet from where my head was while in my sleeping bag!! It was simply looking for an easy meal and since I always keep a clean site, it decided to continuing checking out the other sites.

Story number two ... fast forward two years and I'm back in the same campground but a site on the opposite side but still close to the forest edge. Well, I'm cooking up some spaghetti and sauce for my dinner and I hear the neighbours say "oh look, a bear." Well, I don't see a bear so I get up from cooking at the picnic table and walk to the front side of my SUV ... and out pops the bear at the back edge of my SUV 10 feet separate us ... and it's looking ... it's not looking at me, it's looking at my dinner cooking; I think to myself, there's no way this bear is getting my dinner ... so I clap my hands and it runs away. My great grandmother used to clap her hands to scare off the bears from her farm, so I remembered that it actually works.

Later that night, I hear the same bear munching on the blueberries around my site. Well, this time I have an A-liner solid wall trailer and keep my BBQ inside. The only storage place I have is under my bed. I feel the whole trailer shake so I bang on the side wall and the bear runs away. The next morning I look at the outside wall and I see 5 indentations where the bear pushed against the trailer. This bear was a 2 year old that the Rangers said was the cub of the mother bear in story 1. Now, when I see little free range calves in the area, I know us humans are probably fairly safe. During hikes and going back/forth on the highway, I saw 8 different bears in the 7 days I was at this campground!

I have left out another story which is the only time I've had to not only unholster my bear spray but take the safety off. I'll post that one later.

Let's hear how some of your experiences went.

BTW, I've only seen one grizzlie bear on the AlCan. I did get it on video but it was too busy munching away on plants and would not lift its head up.

Cheers, Steve
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, I've got a couple.

We used to tent camp in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. Our neighbors across the street wanted to go with us and try camping out. OK. She asked if there were any bears there and I told her there were no bears in the state of Virginia.

As we pulled into the CG there was a cut out of Smokey and she motioned to me pointing to it. I assured her they were in all the National Parks. Not to worry.

That night was their wedding anniversary and with the children in their sleeping bags in the tents we were sitting around a camp fire drinking wine when I saw a bear walk behind our tent. I said, "Why there goes a bear now".

We all jumped to our feet to see where the bear went and as I started to follow my DW, something grabbed me from behind in a bear hug.

Just as I thought I was in trouble she screamed, "Don't leave me!" It was her, our neighbor.

Turned out there were four bears roaming the CG and each had a Ranger following it. Nothing happened that night.

Later, in the middle of the night I heard their little girl say, "But Mommy, I have to go!" She replied, "No!" After several of these exchanges, each becoming more pitiful, I heard the tent zipper going down and I just had to see this show, so I stuck my head out our tent flap.

The little girl was extended out the tent flap, held in the air and her Mother said, "Pee!" Then she was pulled back through the flap.

I thought that their experience had soured them completely on camping, but the next week they purchased a pop up.

She never forgave me though.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #3

Too Close for Comfort

Here's a too close for comfort story

I'm in northern BC, on the AlCan, beside a major river and, it's lunch time.

I find a spot off the highway and found a nice level spot for my RV to make my lunch. After lunch, I decide to walk down to the river to see if it's worth taking any photos or videos before I bring any camera gear with me (it wasn't). The river bank is probably 50 feet of hard packed sand before you reach the river. I'm walking on the river bank looking for tracks and only see 4x4 tire marks, bison tracks/poop and fire rings.

I walked about 1/2 mile away from my RV and was up close to the forest edge when I see the low brush moving all over the place only 10 feet away. I know exactly what that means and immediately pulled the bear spray out of the holster and remove the safety. The bear comes out into the open only 12-15 feet away (I was slowly moving backwards). Well, this bear walked about 10 feet straight out on the river bank and then did a 90 degree turn away from me! I never had to use the bear spray. Guess the bear wasn't hungry b/c it definitely knew I was there yet went in the opposite direction from me. Being so close to the AlCan, I figured it was accustomed to humans and was indifferent to me being there.

I watched it continue walking down the river bank right on the edge of the forest until it went out of sight. I decided my lunch break was over at this point.

Steve

And, yes, I do have more bear stories.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

We were on our way to Ak. and pulled off to boondock right after Burwash landing. Woke up the next morning, opened the front, and I was looking down at a good sized brown bear. Needless to say I quickly shut the door, gave a couple blasts of the airhorn, the bear took off, and then I changed my underwear!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #5

I am dealing with a raccoon from HE11 and he is out to get me
me and him hit right at my rv steps and he meant business..fur up, that LOOK and stance...oh yea he was gonna rumble

then I got 2 feral cats thru the site. driving my little dog insane and it is funny cause I swear the cats are just taunting him outside his chain length HAHA

No bear story but I sure can't wait to have one!!!!

I think we all need an AIRHORN can and seriously I am getting one for this camper
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

Another Bear Story

Hi, here's another one from the early '80s first trip out to the Canadian Rockies and pulled into a site in Jasper. We are all hungry and make our lunch upon arriving at the site. Within 30 minutes 2 6-month old bears come through our site (fortunately we had already finished lunch and had put everything away). These young bears are playing and we see them run up and climb a tree soooo fast, it was evidence that you can't get away from a black bear by climbing a tree!

Across from us is a small creek (very cold) in which 2 twenty somethings setup camp beside it. One of them decide to cool off their beer by placing it in the creek (good idea actually). The next morning I hear one of them say "someone stole our beer out of the creek." His friend replied "it was probably a bear!" There were no drunk bears in Jasper he was looking in the wrong part of the creek and eventually found the stash of beer.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
We were on our way to Ak. and pulled off to boondock right after Burwash landing. Woke up the next morning, opened the front, and I was looking down at a good sized brown bear. Needless to say I quickly shut the door, gave a couple blasts of the airhorn, the bear took off, and then I changed my underwear!!!
The first time I was up in that area, I was doing a day trip and checked out a campground on the shore of Kluane Lake due to Grizzly bear activity, they had the campground closed down for people staying in tents and tent trailers.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #8

If you're interested you can go to my (Ramets) "Member Galleries", and look at some bear photos that were taken by my Grandparents during one of their many trips. The bear pics are from 1937, and were shot at Yellowstone. It looks to me that bears back then were a lot friendlier than they are now. My Grandparents were quite the adventurers which was passed on to my parents, then down to me. I guess it's in the genes.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #9

I was three at the time (the youngest of five) and don't remember it so this story has been passed down from family.

Evidently we were camping in dads old canvas tent just outside of West Yellowstone Mt.
All of us kids were in sleeping bags and mom and dad were under just blankets.
Well dad had left the tent flap open and woke up to a black bear licking his toes.
He yells (more like screams) and smacks the bear in the nose.
Bear stands up almost pulling the tent down on top of us and runs off into the forest.
After that mom puts herself and all of us kids in the old station wagon and that's where we spent the rest of the night.
Dad being the brave one spent the rest of the night in the tent but this time with the tent flap closed.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were in Deadhorse, Alaska a couple years ago.. We took the oil field tour that Arctic Caribou Inn offered..

While out on the Arctic ocean (it was still frozen) an Alaska DNR (Game warden) officers came out to "keep an eye on us".. There was a polar bear and cub about 1/2 mile from us, we could see them and were keeping an eye on them. The guide warned us that if the bear started heading toward us, we would need to re-group and leave...

The warden says they have been following this bear for a few hours and basically keep his path clear. According to the Warden, they are not allowed to interfere with the bears activities..

REALLY - I mentioned to the Warden that he just interfered with the bears activity by warning us that we were the potential lunch..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My parents from Minnesota were visiting us in Virginia when I lived there.

We were picnicking at a campground on Skyline Drive. My now ex wife and my Mother had gone over the hill to the ladies room and my Father and my children were putting away what was left of our picnic when my Father climbed up and stood on the table. Then he cleaned his glasses and exclaimed, "Why that is a bear coming this way."

I told my daughter to run tell the ladies to meet us at the car and finished packing stuff up while my Father and young son headed for the car.

Finally I followed them but now the bear was chasing me, I guess she wanted the food I had, and her cub was following. I figured I could beat her to the car, but I just barely did.

After I got in the car she stood up and looked in the window at me so I opened the door a crack and took her picture. My now ex wife called me a nasty name.

I you plan on doing that make sure you have a big head start. You'll need it. I figured if she got too close I'd just drop the food and keep running.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #12

Too Close for Comfort Part 2

Hi,

same trip with my parents at Jasper they had a unique tent trailer that folded out into two different levels. Each level had a sleeping area. I was lying on the lower section, my feet resting on a water jug sitting on the picnic table seat. Well, we hear a bear enter our campsite early in the morning and is checking out our site. Eventually it is knocking things around on the picnic table and, yes, you guessed it, knocked over the water jug my feet were resting on I slowly moved my feet away just in case the bear decided to take a swipe at the canvas. It found nothing of interest so moved on.

This campground had a service road that circled it. It was at the base of a mountain. One evening I was walking on the "valley" side and saw a deer. As I continued on, I reached the "mountain" side and saw all these trails going up into the mountain. I was nave in those days and wondered "who the heck is walking up there?" Well, as I continued to walk, I heard someone yell from the campground "BEAR!" Then I made the connection and no longer nave. Fortunately, no bears were in my area.http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/whistling.gif
Old 08-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #13

Staying in a CG in Coram MT (outside Glacier Nat Park)
Sitting at dinette table having coffee watching sun rise when a FACE appears looking back in AT me. Hello bear..nothing to see---time to move on. And bear did AFTER a few sniffs and glare. WHEW!

Another time...different trip/year we were out adventuring/day tripping from campsite and stopped to have lunch in a national forest campground.
Windy road with picnic tables/bbq pits etc laid out as you went up.
As we were sitting back enjoying the area a FAMILY group began setting up across the road and down from us.
Lots of food stuff being moved from vehicles to picnic table......just as they finished we noticed movement in tress above their site.
Sitting just in the tree line was a big black bear....Sniffing the air and swaying back forth.
I YELLED at the folks and pointed. THEY Looked, gasped and jumped in their vehicles and left......everything still on picnic table.
Bear slowly wandered down and it was 'Yogi Bear' and the pic-a-nic basket scene

Then one year in Yellowstone Park.......
Driving thru one heavily forested area in a small valley saw a flash of golden brown in tree line. Stopped and took a long hard look.
BIG grizzly having himself a little lunch.....Large elk in velvet

Grizzly would flip elk over like it was 30# lump and have him some rump roast......then flip and have a snibble of shoulder roast...then flip and have him some loin.
Then traffic showed up....road block/traffic snare so we moved on.

Many other stories/sightings of bear/elk/moose/deer/antelope/raccons etc etc during our 7 yrs of FT travels
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote