Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2017, 06:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
Another vote for Wunderlist. It’s cross-platform, so it works on PCs, android phones, and any Apple product. It syncs between devices. I routinely setup the grocery list on my iPad, which then syncs with my iPhone. Items can be easily rearranged. You can also share a list if desired.
So, let me get this straight. You have long CHECK LIST that you repeat for when you are doing something on your RV using Wunderlist? And when you are done, you go back and uncheck each and every item to reset the list?

The reason for having a CHECK list is because there are lots of steps that need to be done in order (typically) and you don't want to miss a step. Perhaps its because you don't do the steps everyday, and missing a step can cause damage.

I don't need to sync this startup list. I use OurGroceries for shopping lists, sync, works on computer....yada yada yada. Same as Wunderlist, but I preferred the interface on OG. I would NEVER think of using it for a checklist. On OG, when I check off an item I am purchasing, it also puts it just below the existing list with a strikethrough. I can put it back on the list by clicking on it again. If I had 50 steps on OurGroceries, I think around step 30 that I was UNCHECKING after completing the steps, I would be asking myself, "Why the heck am I using a ToDo or Shopping list as a CHECK LIST?"

Someone else already mentioned RV Checklist. I think everyone should at least test the app to see what I was looking for....at least close.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
So, let me get this straight. You have long CHECK LIST that you repeat for when you are doing something on your RV using Wunderlist? And when you are done, you go back and uncheck each and every item to reset the list?

The reason for having a CHECK list is because there are lots of steps that need to be done in order (typically) and you don't want to miss a step. Perhaps its because you don't do the steps everyday, and missing a step can cause damage.

I don't need to sync this startup list. I use OurGroceries for shopping lists, sync, works on computer....yada yada yada. Same as Wunderlist, but I preferred the interface on OG. I would NEVER think of using it for a checklist. On OG, when I check off an item I am purchasing, it also puts it just below the existing list with a strikethrough. I can put it back on the list by clicking on it again. If I had 50 steps on OurGroceries, I think around step 30 that I was UNCHECKING after completing the steps, I would be asking myself, "Why the heck am I using a ToDo or Shopping list as a CHECK LIST?"

Someone else already mentioned RV Checklist. I think everyone should at least test the app to see what I was looking for....at least close.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:05 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

Obviously everyone has their own checklist that they use that works for them. It just so happens that we have been using Wunderlist for a long time for multiple list and it works for us and we really have no desire to change. If you are using something that you like and it works, then so be it.
Thanks for all of the suggestions and great ideas. It goes to show you that as careful RV'ers, we are all concerned about forgetting something important in our daily routines.
journey15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #32

I note no one mentioned Evernote (https://evernote.com/), which is what I use. It is more than a checklist app, but it's what I've found to be most effective to run my life. Here's why:

- good applications on desktop/laptop, and iPhone
- cross platform, OS X, iPhone, Windows, and probably Android phones - synchronizes automatically - I typically create/edit a list on my laptop
- reusable checklist function, although the boxes are a little tiny on a phone; lots of formatting options
- I only need the free version, and I use it a lot, but I like it enough that I'd pay if I needed to

I try to minimize the total applications in my life, so I don't often use single-purpose apps. For RVing, Evernote also holds copies of all the pdf manuals for what's in my rig, destination info, how-to's...and a lot more about all parts of my life.

Give it a try - you have almost nothing to lose.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #33

I've adopted gtd methodology and use MLO on android and PC's.
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:01 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I will weigh in and/or add to the confusion . Lists are used in many different ways by different people. I mainly use RV Checklist to create a list of things "I don't want to forget the day I leave". I rely on my own memory to pack everything up in the days before, and I really only need the list for the things I do right before I leave, or for things I am likely to forget. In my case then, a master list works very well, because it contains everything I may need to bring for every type of trip imaginable. 95% of the things on the list remain checked, because they are routinely done in advance. The night before leaving, I scroll through the master list and only uncheck the things I had forgotten, and also the things I need to remember to do right before leaving (not everything on the list) - this is only a small number of clicks since I am not starting out with a blank checklist. Just because the items are checked doesn't mean I am bringing them along on this trip, it just means I don't have to worry about them. Example, kayaks and fishing gear have their own section/subgroup within the master list, and are left checked even if I'm not taking them on this trip. But if I am taking them, and have already loaded up the toad, I can confirm everything is loaded by scrolling through the list which contains all the kayak / fishing related items. It is then that I may realize I forgot to put the paddles in the car, then I will uncheck paddles so I remember them in the morning. In essence I am creating a new sublist from the master by unchecking items that require future attention.

Your example using OurGroceries is valid, I use Yummly in exactly the same way (by the way, Yummly is a fantastic recipe and grocery app). I agree with you that it is silly to use a grocery list app as I have described above as a checklist, and that is where RV Checklist has much greater flexibility. You can set it up to create a variety of very useful short checklists for certain tasks, ToDo lists, or for different types of trips. I reverted to one master list that is divided into sections simply so I don't have to remember which list to use, manage multiple lists, or worry if there is something I left off one of the lists
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:15 AM   #35
tcg

My wife takes care of stowing things on the inside.

I take care of the outside.

I hang a bright orange tag on my sterring wheel and it doesn't get removed until everything is checked.

You guys sound like a lot of things need to get done when arriving or leaving.

I just need to unplug, store the water hose and sewer hose if at a full hook up, put away awnings, steps, chairs and carpet, and check storage compartments are latched. If the scooter has been used I also check all the ties downs (this gets done every time we stop for anything).

So my check list is completely visible. Walking around the rig a couple times is all that's necessary.

Winterizing is another story, I have a checklist for that, it starts out on my desk at home so I can make notes on what I need and then it goes with me to winterize, as I complete each task I cross it off.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been using RV Checklist for a few years now; love it. I only have 1 main list that I use to load/prepare for a trip, but it has within it subcategories; Things to Buy, Things to Do (pre-chill fridge, check LPG, etc), general Camping items to load, ATV/PWC things to load, Clothes to load. It can also be exported as a .csv file, and opened/modified on the PC, and then imported back (although it is actually easier to modify on your phone than going through the steps of export/modify/import), and it has an easy backup/restore feature as well. I save a backup to the Cloud (Google Drive).

I don't use a checklist for preparing to leave the campsite/head home; I find that a final walk around usually suffices for that.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
while i think platform, feature set, usability, etc are certainly important, my experience is the app (in this case the "best checklist app") is the one you're comfortable using and will actually consistently use to meet your needs.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote