Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #1

Best Credit Cards For Fuel Discounts

All of us are concerned with current high fuel prices. I have been trying to research using credit cards for either cash back or discounts at the pump to help save some money on fuel. What I'm finding is very confusing and doesn't really give me any definitive answers. So I thought I would go directly to the source. Those that are currently using cards for that very reason. So what are you all using to get the most discounts for your fuel purchases. I am not interested in getting any kind of rewards points. I'm specifically looking for discounts at the pump or cash back for gas purchases. What say you? Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 09:00 AM   #2

MyOpenRoads fuel card is what we use when traveling. Used to be known as the TDS card. It is not a credit card, though, and must be tied to a bank account for funding.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:11 AM   #3

Since that appears to be for diesel fuel only, it doesn't help me much. Chuck
Old 06-26-2022, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
All of us are concerned with current high fuel prices. I have been trying to research using credit cards for either cash back or discounts at the pump to help save some money on fuel. What I'm finding is very confusing and doesn't really give me any definitive answers. So I thought I would go directly to the source. Those that are currently using cards for that very reason. So what are you all using to get the most discounts for your fuel purchases. I am not interested in getting any kind of rewards points. I'm specifically looking for discounts at the pump or cash back for gas purchases. What say you? Chuck
I've used the BP Visa card for years and get fifteen cents per gallon off after a 20 gallon purchase each month (or something like that) I think the first year I used it I got twenty cents per gallon off. They also have an app that gives a discount price. I've used the app to turn on a pump when I needed fuel and the station was actually closed. They also give cash back for non fuel purchases, but I don't keep track of that.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:39 AM   #5

I thought I was fairly tech savvy but apparently not. I have the BP app on my phone but have yet to figure out how to make it work at the pump. Chuck
Old 06-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #6

For gas I use a 2% cash back credit card like the Wells Fargo Active Cash, there are a few others. The more expensive the gas, the more cash back you get per gallon as opposed to the fixed per gallon discount like Gas Buddy. At $5.00 per gallon, I get 10 cents back per gallon. Even if gas is as cheap as $2.50, I would get 5 cents per gallon back, still matching gas buddies average discount. Not to mention with the credit card I get the cash back everwhere, with a service like Gas Buddy I have to go to specific gas stations.

The same issue with gas company credit cards, have to go to specific gas station, and often only get the discount on the first so many gallons, and/or you have to jump through other marketing schemes to get the discount. The disount is the same amount per gallon no matter how cheap or expensive the gas is, not a percentage.

Beats the average 5 cents off per gallon Gas Buddy gives you. Gas Buddy's premium service isn't worth the cost, when I do the math, you just break even every month when you hit your maximum monthly gallons, and then it reverts to the free tier discount for the remainder of the month.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:52 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Since that appears to be for diesel fuel only, it doesn't help me much. Chuck
Have a gasoline vehicle? You're in luck! Coming soon in 2022 we will be offering a gasoline discount card as well...... TSD Logistics
Old 06-26-2022, 09:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
For gas I use a 2% cash back credit card like the Wells Fargo Active Cash, there are a few others. The more expensive the gas, the more cash back you get per gallon as opposed to the fixed per gallon discount like Gas Buddy. At $5.00 per gallon, I get 10 cents back per gallon. Even if gas is as cheap as $2.50, I would get 5 cents per gallon back, still matching gas buddies average discount. Not to mention with the credit card I get the cash back everwhere, with a service like Gas Buddy I have to go to specific gas stations.

The same issue with gas company credit cards, have to go to specific gas station, and often only get the discount on the first so many gallons, and/or you have to jump through other marketing schemes to get the discount. The disount is the same amount per gallon no matter how cheap or expensive the gas is, not a percentage.

Beats the average 5 cents off per gallon Gas Buddy gives you. Gas Buddy's premium service isn't worth the cost, when I do the math, you just break even every month when you hit your maximum monthly gallons, and then it reverts to the free tier discount for the remainder of the month.

I would prefer a % cash back credit card for all the same reasons. But looking at most now, they are beginning to assign "categories" each month for cash back discounts that don't always include gas purchases. I'll look into the Wells Fargo card. Thanks. Chuck
Old 06-26-2022, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Have a gasoline vehicle? You're in luck! Coming soon in 2022 we will be offering a gasoline discount card as well...... TSD Logistics

Yeah, I've found that coming soon does not necessarily mean in my lifetime. Chuck
Old 06-26-2022, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
I thought I was fairly tech savvy but apparently not. I have the BP app on my phone but have yet to figure out how to make it work at the pump. Chuck
There's at least a couple potential "gotcha's" with that app. First, the app has to detect that you are actually at a participating BP station. Another that I learned the hard way is that they only allow you to use the app two or three times in a 24 hour period after which it quits working.

I don't know that BP is the best card for fuel out there, but when I was pulling campers it was the most convenient for me since there was a BP station in Goshen with DEF at the pump near the storage yard.
Since I no longer do that and there are no BP stations close to my home, I've been considering getting an Exxon card, since there are a couple of those stations nearby.
BTW, don't forget your BP card also works at Amoco stations.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #11

Quote:
I would prefer a % cash back credit card for all the same reasons. But looking at most now, they are beginning to assign "categories" each month for cash back discounts that don't always include gas purchases. I'll look into the Wells Fargo card. Thanks. Chuck
The Wells Fargo Active Cash is a flat 2% back on all purchases, no categories to worry about.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yeah, I've found that coming soon does not necessarily mean in my lifetime. Chuck
It states coming in the summer of 2022........ you planning on checking out soon
Old 06-26-2022, 10:06 AM   #13

Here's a thought:
My BP app will allow me to pay using other credit cards - even PayPal - and gives five cents off per gallon minimum.
I wonder if the apps for Shell, Exxon and others will do the same?
That would at least be a way to get some discount even if you don't have a card for that particular brand.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:16 AM   #14

Use a BOA Visa with 3%/2%/1% Cash Back

I choose which category to set for the 3%......can be changed monthly
Set for 3% Fuel currently

Have another BOA Visa with same 3%/2%/1% categories
Set for 3% On-Line purchases
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel