Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

BEST DIGITAL ANTENNA FOR RV's?

I presently have a Winegard RVRZ39W that performed very well until yesterday. It now appears that the amplifier in the antenna has gone south and I will need to replace it with something that actually works!!

What is the best ( best performance / most affordable) digital television antenna for my motorhome?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #2

Here is a link to over 100 previous threads about digital tv antennas for RVs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22d...w=1366&bih=620
Old 09-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #3

there is no such animal as a "digital tv antenna". antennas don't care if a signal is transmitted in digital or analog mode. all they care about is frequency. i mention this so you won't fall for a scam.

to answer your question IMO the Winegard Sensar IV is your best bet.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #4

"Antennas for Receiving DTV
To receive DTV signals from all stations in the area, your antenna needs to be able to receive both VHF channels (channels 2-13) and UHF channels (channels 14-51). Some antennas only provide good reception of VHF or UHF channels, but not both. For example, indoor "rabbit ears" usually need to be augmented with an additional "wire loop" or "bowtie" antenna (see images below) in order to pick up signals on UHF channels. Many of the antennas being sold as "HDTV Antennas" perform best at receiving UHF signals, but perform less well receiving VHF channels. Check with retail consultants and consumer websites to make sure that any antenna you choose provides good reception of both VHF and UHF channels."

While you are technically correct, as you can see from the above, some antennas are better at 'digital tv' than others. So the general label of 'digital tv antenna' may not be technically correct, it certainly serves us well in identifying antennas that receive digital broadcasts better than others. I have heard many people say the same thing about the Sensar IV.

Thanks

A link - https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...tal-television
Old 09-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #5

1000 THREADS!!??!?!
This may take more than ten minutes!!
Old 09-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
When someone asks for help, it is important to make that person feel like a novice. OK, you want an OTA antenna with built in amplifier. I have never seen your antenna but a direct replacement is about $130 on Amazon. I would recommend not buying one of the "OMNI DIRECTIONAL" antennas because while it seems they would be less trouble than having to point your antenna in the direction of the majority of signals, they don't perform nearly as well. I have a King Jack; one of the short antennas that doens't need to be folded down; had a Winegard batwing before that and it had broken parts and it appealed to me to have an antenna I didn't have to fold down because I am kind of forgetful and when you drive away with a batwing still up; well you can guess a tree limb is in its future.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #7

I have a Winegard Rayzar Z1 that works fine out to about 60 miles. About $110. It's low profile.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #8

I use King Jack for OTA mounted on my windgard mast.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have a King Omnipro and it is wayaaaaaay better than the Concord antenna it replaced. I get 47 channels in my driveway and never got more than about 20 with the other antenna.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROONORTH View Post
1000 THREADS!!??!?!
This may take more than ten minutes!!

Naw dude, only 100. Pick a couple from recent posts and that will give you a better answer as products change and improve.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #11

OH, a hundred. thought I got through them 'quickly'!!
Old 09-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #12

"When someone asks for help, it is important to make that person feel like a novice."

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Tags
antenna, rvs