Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2023, 04:36 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Duraflames cheaper than wood sold at campgrounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandDeb View Post
I use a duraflame log and pile the firewood on top.
This is my preferred campfire method as well (but not for cooking!). One Duraflame and a couple of pieces of real wood will last hours. Buying Duraflames in bulk from Costco is much cheaper than burning up a whole $6-8 bundle of wood for an evening fire. If we're not going to be outside too long, I'll use my axe to cut the Duraflame in half for a shorter duration fire!
murraymcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2023, 04:39 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
I wish I could find those strike anywhere stick matches. I think they quit making them for safety reasons. Fun pass time as a kid.
I recently found them at a Family Dollar store in northern Michigan.
m.elliott63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:30 PM   #45

Best fire starter ever is a small propane torch with an igniter built into it. No looking for matches or lighter. A small tank last for hundreds of light. It could even come in handy if you had to heat a stubborn bolt. I have heated my home with wood my whole life. I wouldn’t waste my time lighting a fire any other way.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:04 AM   #46

A couple of years ago, we were just walking thru the woods behind our campsite at a local state park, and noticed a couple of small pieces of lighter pine -- broken off limbs/logs from fallen pine trees. I picked up a couple or three of these, took a hatchet and sliced off small slivers of wood about 3" - 6" long. I keep these in the basement of coach in a plastic screw top container. Couple of these will get a fire roaring pretty good in no time.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:48 PM   #47

Fire starter

Cheeto puffs! Works every time, I have a bag in a small Tupperware
container in the camper doesn’t matter how old, they still light and they still taste fine! 🔥😲😝
Cfreeda14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:24 PM   #48

We used to save McDonalds when they had really well waxed cups, back in the day . Get someone to get us a warm case of beer"$1cheaper",ice it down. Head down too the woods for a bonfire.
A few of those cups would get damp sticks going.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:06 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfreeda14 View Post
Cheeto puffs! Works every time, I have a bag in a small Tupperware
container in the camper doesn’t matter how old, they still light and they still taste fine! 🔥😲😝
OMG, Cheeto Cheese Puffs? That's against all the rules. I'll trade a few sheets of newspaper soaked in Coleman fuel any day for a bag of Cheetos.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:12 AM   #50

Pine straw. Cheap. No digging. No carving. No splitting. Loaded with terpene.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:46 AM   #51

Just got back from our annual spring break camping trip. The last two days had a lot of rain, everything wet, even deep down into the pine straw. Didn't have any problem getting a fire started using my old method.

Wet or dry, I always start with two larger sticks/logs laid parallel to each other. I lay small twigs crossways on top of them and then add larger, and then larger wood to form a teepee shape, all the while, keeping the small tunnel between the first two logs open on one end. A single match placed inside the little tunnel below the twigs usually gets them going fast but with everything being so wet this last trip, I used my small Bernzomatic soldering torch to make things go faster.

Works every time and I don't have to pay for or carry extra fire starting paraphernalia like charcoal lighting fluid, dura logs, wd40, homemade waxy stuff, or cheetos!

Edited to add: Just read TandW's post above, pine straw is my go to fuel to place inside the tunnel when it's available and dry. One match and she's a going!
Old 04-09-2023, 06:30 PM   #52

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
I wish I could find those strike anywhere stick matches. I think they quit making them for safety reasons. Fun pass time as a kid.
You're right. Ohio Blue Tip Matches were the first ones I knew about and that was over 60 years ago. The company was bought out and they discontinued the strike anywhere matches. I was taught the teepee method by my dad, a scout leader, when I was 5. These days I carry a propane torch with a built-in igniter. Ya, I have gotten lazy!
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:43 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
OMG, Cheeto Cheese Puffs? That's against all the rules. I'll trade a few sheets of newspaper soaked in Coleman fuel any day for a bag of Cheetos.

Newspaper soaking in Coleman fuel probably tasted better than Cheetos and leaves no orange fingers.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:49 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Cotton balls coated in Vaseline
Dryer lint
Sawdust mixed with wax
celluloid film
Pine knots
Pine cones
Everclear

All work on damp wood
Old 04-09-2023, 06:50 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
I've found that a ziploc bag of cow farts works the best, along with pieces of road flares..........(;+)..............Just don't use gasoline, I've seen many idiots making that error..Foooomp!..........911.....
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:03 PM   #56

I bought a box of fatwood at WM and used a piece to start a fire last week. The doggone fatwood went out, partly burnt and partly not, before the rest of the wood caught! It was very still, no breeze at all. So I re-lit the fatwood and used my small O2Cool battery powered fan to blow gently at it, and that got the fire going. I guess the fatwood is no 'magic bullet' after all.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, starter