Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Those look nice, do they roll up for storage?
Yes....I marked the corners with initials with the white pencil that comes with the kit for measuring as to which window goes where. We roll them up and place in storage. We are quite happy. It only takes about 15 minutes to install 4 side windows and the windshield.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 01:14 PM   #16

The fairly-clear ceramic window tint is awesome and does an amazing job of not allowing heat or UV to come through anything the tint is applied. While tinting the windshield is illegal in most states, this new film is very hard for anyone to see that it’s installed. You can also get a letter from your doctor if you have any type of disease, medication or eye problems that you can’t take a continuous dose of direct or reflected light. Check with your state OMV/DMV and do a bit of Googling because it’s worth it in a huge way.

My wife has been fighting Stage3C Ovarian Cancer since June 2013 and we use our Phaeton mostly for trips to Nashville from Louisiana or even New York when we have to go there. That’s why I bought something as big as I could and because I had to have 2 bathrooms/toilets. I almost bought a MagnaShade but spent $300 for a roll of ceramic tint that I can get at least another 3 windshields out of if I ever have to remove like for an inspection. I can use my “Day-Shade” and the temps are slightly better than what I’ve seen with the MagnaShade plus you have the added benefit when driving. They have several types now and some have a polarized effect that turns the sky super blue and intensifies the other colors, but it’s also a lot more expensive.

You definitely want to invest in a small tint installer kit so you have all the right tools and you will also need a heat gun to help shrink the tint to fit the curve. I made templates for my windshield from layered poster paper and then transferred that to thin MDF to maintain the edges. You will have to do it under heavy shade so you aren’t fighting with the sun or heating the glass. It’s not exceptionally fun to do but well worth doing and reduces a lot of eye strain plus helps save your dash from the UV that intensifies constantly.

It was after I purchased mine that I talked to a local tint shop owner that said he would have done a “Cash&Carry Cut” for me to do myself. You never know so it’s worth asking…$1000 really isn’t that bad for what you get!
Old 06-26-2022, 01:19 PM   #17

Perfect timing, I was just looking at tint options for my trailer.

I was going to settle on ceramic myself since some videos I saw with a heat lamp on one side seemed pretty convincing to me.

Anyone know of a decent ceramic tint a DIY'er can do at a low buck?
I'm going to call some places this week to see what they will charge.
Otherwise a roll of reflectix is definitely the cheaper option instead of wasting money on dyed tint.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:43 PM   #18

I just found the link to the place that I bought from and wanted to post the windshield film I bought and it’s DEFINITELY gone up in price, but the roll is now much longer so it probably works out the same. I got the 60” 86% Clear with the Lifetime Warranty….

https://tintdepot.com/product/nano-c...tint-70-80-86/

I believe they have partial rolls also and you may want to check out the main site for everything else….

https://tintdepot.com

Tags
heat, wind, window