Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2022, 09:35 PM   #1

Best on a budget anti heat window tint.

So, I'm in AZ and now I know why people go north in the summer. A tint place gave me an estimate of $1000. I think I could do it my self. I don't care to much about bubbles or how it looks. I just need to cool this thing down. So, do I need any special tools. I'm guessing a razor knife, squeegee, spray bottle? Most importantly. What is a good cheap tint that reduces heat. I would still like as much light as possible.

Thanks,
Hugh
Libra8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2022, 08:33 AM   #2

Unfortunately there really isn't a "good cheap" window tint that blocks heat. Your cheap window tint is basically tinted plastic which does little to block UV and Infra-red light. UV causes sun damage, while infra-red is the source of most the heat.

Middle of the road tint has a metalized layer that blocks some UV and Infra-red... and often blocks mobile phone signals too.

Ceramic based window tint is some of the best at blocking heat, you can even find a nearly clear version that can cover the entire windsheild and no one will ever notice so you won't get a ticket for "tinting" the windsheild". This stuff tends to be pretty spendy.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #3

Snowbirds , who store their RVs in AZ , use water heater insulation cut to fit the inside of the windows , that would be a low $$ solution if you have windows you don't care if you see out . Or only install on windows that face the sun during the day .

LIGHT and heat go hand in hand .

I have exterior mounted windshield 90% sun block material , BUT I usually bail out of AZ when the temp climbs to the mid 90s.

BTW: If your RV is black or dark brown , windows will not be the only way the heat enters the unit .
Do you have dual pane windows ?
Old 06-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #4

A reflective window tint will stop a good bit of heat entering the trailer. It also make is harder to see into the trailer, so it keeps prying eyes from looking in.

As said, the inexpensive films are not worth the work or money.

If you have dual glazed windows, the film should be installed on the outside.

Putting it inside will allow heat to build up between the glass panes and may cause seal failure.

I did my 2016 since it did not come with all windows tinted. I used the 3M medium tint. Made a big difference.

The hardest part was cutting the film to fit. I made templates out of heavy craft paper.

As jrolf said, the ceramic coated is the best to reflect heat.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:12 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra8 View Post
So, I'm in AZ and now I know why people go north in the summer. A tint place gave me an estimate of $1000. I think I could do it my self. I don't care to much about bubbles or how it looks. I just need to cool this thing down. So, do I need any special tools. I'm guessing a razor knife, squeegee, spray bottle? Most importantly. What is a good cheap tint that reduces heat. I would still like as much light as possible.

Thanks,
Hugh
It's not tint...so forgive me. But I use the solar screens from EZ Snap. EZ Snap

I have them for the windshield and drivers side windows. It was about $400 total. A little bit of a pain initially to cut and install snap pads...but they work well. I was able to keep my coach to about 77deg in Vegas one summer.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #6

You want Reflectix over the glass and then cover your windows and doors (including the metal frames) with quilts or blankets as curtains (I have harbor freight packing quilts up year round and toss them every other year as the sun destroys them). And you will still be hot, just not as hot. At 105F my two air conditioners shut down the compressors to save them from burning out. It hits 90F inside, more if we are hitting temps above 110F like yesterday. The roof is also coated with an reflective elastomeric roof coating. I also have fans to move the air around. Later this summer, we will be hitting 125F and up. At that point all I can do is take lukewarm showers to cool myself off and stick the dog in the shower to keep her alive. I have a wicked strong exhaust vent over my gas range that I open for a few minutes every few hours to exhaust some of the built up hot air out. It helps slightly. Even many of the commercial air conditioners stop working for a few hours at those temps.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You will get more benefit from applying an external solar screen. You can buy the solar screen material from a number of sources and make your own and attach them with some heavy-duty loop and hook tape.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You need a reflector, not a tint. There is window tinting that has a reflective component, but anything that permits some light to pass thru isn't much of a heat reflector. So, your first decision is whether you want windows you can see through and get light, or maximum reflectivity. a related decision is whether the reflection can be temporary (like for summer storage) or is a permanent installation. Another decision involves the windshield, which is a major source of sunlight and also radiant heat. Obviously you cannot block the windshield while driving, but what about when parked? A combination of a reflector with an insulated backer will make a huge difference in heat gain thru the windshield. And don't forget the skylights, including the shower.

Last, windows are only one source of heat gain. A lot of heat radiates right thru the walls and ceiling/roof. You can put radiant barriers in the back of closets and cupboards to cut that down. Also use your awning(s) as much as possible to shade the sides. If you don't have window awnings, consider adding them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:20 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I figured a template would be easier because there are only 2 size windows. She's an old girl, so single pane.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:10 PM   #10

Llumar CTX is the good stuff and very expensive. I have it on all my vehicles.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:17 PM   #11

There is a clear ceramic window "tint" designed for use on the inside of windshields that claims to reduce radiated heat a great amount; however it is not cheap.
Just to block sun heat, the best results come from placement on the outside of the vehicle windshield instead of the inside.

I bought a partial roll of reflectX (8'wide) from a pole barn builder, they put in under the metal roof. It is aluminum on one side, white on the other, bubble wrap in between.
I think I paid $20 for the partial roll.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKimball View Post
It's not tint...so forgive me. But I use the solar screens from EZ Snap. EZ Snap

I have them for the windshield and drivers side windows. It was about $400 total. A little bit of a pain initially to cut and install snap pads...but they work well. I was able to keep my coach to about 77deg in Vegas one summer.
Those look nice, do they roll up for storage?
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You will get more benefit from applying an external solar screen. You can buy the solar screen material from a number of sources and make your own and attach them with some heavy-duty loop and hook tape.

Ken
This cuts down amazingly the heat. We had a solar screen on the outside of our windshield in the motorhome and you couldn't feel any heat radiating from the window. Home Depot, etc. may carry it by the yard.

For windows you don't care to see out of get some insulation to tuck inside the window frame.

Draw your curtains/shades.

Window awnings help a lot.

If your windows are single pane putting tint on them won't help as much as some of the above options.

Also, put something in your roof vents. RV supply sells a ready made cushion to fit up there but you could cut some thick foam or insulation to stuff in the opening.

Your refrigerator should be on a site where the hot afternoon sun doesn't beat on that side of the RV.

Get a refrig. thermometer and keep track of the temp. so you don't get spoiled food. A small battery-operated refrigerator fan or two will help.

110 deg in the Tucson area today!! Can't you move up to Show Low?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:41 PM   #14

Thanks everyone. You have some good advise.

Tags
heat, wind, window