Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

Best place to list a Motorhome for sale

We have a 2006 Class C Itasca Sundancer we’ve decided to sell. Listed it on the local free sites and one paid internet site but so far have received only low ball offers. [moderator eit] Does anyone have any suggestions for a productive site? Does eBay work for Motorhomes? We really don’t want to put it up for consignment as they don’t want to give even book value on it. Though when they want to sell you one they quote the high end book. We’re losing our very cheap storage site and really need to sell by the end of the month.
Sailorman295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #2

So, do we have to guess at what sites you have listed it?

If you "really need to sell by the end of the month", then get a bunch of towels as your about to get hosed because you are at the mercy of the buyers, especially if they are aware of the timeline.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman295 View Post
We have a 2006 Class C Itasca Sundancer weíve decided to sell. Listed it on the local free sites and one paid internet site but so far have received only low ball offers. The rv is in excellent condition with new tires no leaks etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for a productive site? Does eBay work for Motorhomes? We really donít want to put it up for consignment as they donít want to give even book value on it. Though when they want to sell you one they quote the high end book. Weíre losing our very cheap storage site and really need to sell by the end of the month.
I listed my '88 Bounder on Craigslist and sold it almost immediately for the asking price.

Don't expect to get book value selling it on your own. About the best you can expect is NADA wholesale. Be sure to put the effort into making it show its best. If it doesn't show well it will be hard to get a buyer. If you have maintenance records be sure to mention them. If you have made improvements in looks, function or performance be sure that you mention them in your ads and show lots of pictures.

Good luck.

By the way, did I say post lots of pictures? Be sure to post lots of pictures!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #4

We’ve listed it on Craigslist, Let Go, OfferUp, and RVT. Also a neighborhood blog. Haven’t mentioned that we must sell. Best offer we got was $25,000. NADA low wholesale is $30,000. No one has even come to look at it. All offers made unseen.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #5

Have you searched for similar motorhomes to see how they are priced?
Old 09-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Yes there aren’t a lot exactly like ours, but the ones closest are some selling for more and some for less.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
One of the things I always put in my ad's is;

"I WILL NOT NEGOTIATE ON THE PHONE, COME AND LOOK AT IT, THEN YOU CAN MAKE AN OFFER"

Another thing I always put in is that I will not accept text's, or email's, phone calls only. If they do not want to pick up the phone and talk to you , do you really want to bother with them?

What that does is eliminate the tire kickers, and the people wanting to steal it and flip it for a profit. Take a LOT of pictures, and write up a very detailed description.

Plus like stated above, you can not expect to get retail prices, about the best you can expect is low retail unless it is like brand new. And if it is like brand new, you should have already spelled out in your ad why it is so.

Your market is VERY limited right now to people that are looking to be snow birds, or possibly a hunter, and most hunters do not want a perfect RV.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 09-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlckmj View Post
One of the things I always put in my ad's is;

"I WILL NOT NEGOTIATE ON THE PHONE, COME AND LOOK AT IT, THEN YOU CAN MAKE AN OFFER"

Another thing I always put in is that I will not accept text's, or email's, phone calls only. If they do not want to pick up the phone and talk to you , do you really want to bother with them?

What that does is eliminate the tire kickers, and the people wanting to steal it and flip it for a profit. Take a LOT of pictures, and write up a very detailed description.

Plus like stated above, you can not expect to get retail prices, about the best you can expect is low retail unless it is like brand new. And if it is like brand new, you should have already spelled out in your ad why it is so.

Your market is VERY limited right now to people that are looking to be snow birds, or possibly a hunter, and most hunters do not want a perfect RV.

Good luck,
Jim
If I had put those requirements in my add that you stated, I would have missed the sales on my last 2 MH. Iived in Ga and sold 1 to a couple in Pa. and the 2nd to a couple out of Mi. Neither would have driven the distance required to view the unit without assurance of a sale. I sold both on RV TRADER using the cheapest add available. Sold both close to NADA low retail.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #9

One thing you have going against you is this is the end of the summer season when most people do not get excited about buying an RV to go "camping". Right now, any perspective buyer is looking for a bargain basement deal. Winter is almost here.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman295 View Post
We have a 2006 Class C Itasca Sundancer we’ve decided to sell. ….. We really don’t want to put it up for consignment as they don’t want to give even book value on it. Though when they want to sell you one they quote the high end book.
Not all consignments are the same. Take one last trip with yours and take it to PPL in Texas. They have a few places. Then you won't have to worry about the storage costs. We sold ours in one month for the price WE put on it. A party from Florida flew in and bought it. PPL doesn't 'buy' your RV. All negotiations are between the seller and buyer. We didn't want to bother with umpteen phone calls, appointments set, no-shows and taking the time to show it to those 'just looking'.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #11

I've used craigslist. I can't tell you how much difference good pictures make in selling one. Put as many different pictures as are allowed and make sure it's clean. Look at the pictures like you were a buyer and correct defects. I always used the Dallas Craigslist because it's closest. There's no limit on the text for the description, List everything.
If you want to sell it, You'll have to be more reasonable on the price. 30,000 is about 6000 too high, it's a 2006, that's why no one has come and looked at it.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:02 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
WE used RVTrader and sold our Class C in 2 days at basically asking price.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I think the PPL idea might be a good one.

Other than that all you can do is have the best RV and lowest price of all comparables.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think RVTrader.com is the best place to sell an RV. Take the deal that lets you post LOTS of pics and can run the ad at least three months.

I would also list it in the free Classifieds here on IRV2.

I would state in the ads that "I will only accept a direct transfer of funds between your bank and mine, NO EXCEPTIONS!". That's the only safe way to do it!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, motorhome, sale