Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Best Roadside Assistance

What is the best for your $$ Roadside assistance. My primary concern is tire change - esp for coaches with no spare.
Gnomad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #2

Coach-Net was a great experience for us when things got dicey. I have had Good Sam and also now have Escapees. I never needed a tow with GS and so far have not with Escapees so it is difficult to compare.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on who you ask! Many folks say CoachNet is the best, and maybe so, but they are also the most expensive. I have used Good Sam and FMCA. I had a couple of satisfactory experiences with GS, never needed FMCA. I have heard that they all use the same towing companies so I suppose it's pretty much how efficient the reps are that handle your emergency.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:57 AM   #4

They all use the same tow companies but many will not provide service to the company who pays them less. I have heard but have no first hand knowledge that Good Sam pays the least and many providers will not go out for them unless they have down time and can fill it with a GS call. Also, customer service varies from service to service and call to call. A lot depends on who answers the phone call.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
They all use the same tow companies but many will not provide service to the company who pays them less. I have heard but have no first hand knowledge that Good Sam pays the least and many providers will not go out for them unless they have down time and can fill it with a GS call. Also, customer service varies from service to service and call to call. A lot depends on who answers the phone call.
TXTiger

I believe you are correct. I had a poor experience with Good Sam a couple of years ago. On Hwy 59 south of Gillette, WY.

GS told me that no one would respond to help me; that they called all of their tow companies in the area. I asked what to do, and the GS person said to "call 911", and then hung up!

My brother, who was riding along with me on trip, called his AAA number, and a tow company arrived within 45 minutes with fuel. After the tow driver was told about Good Sam, his response was, "I am on their call-list and they didn't call me."

So much for GS as far as I am concerned. I had GS since 2008 with no calls for service. No longer using GS.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #6

We had Good Sam with our travel trailer a few years back. Had a blow out on the trailer, the nearest tow truck that GS could find gave us a 6 hour wait time. We were on the side of a busy highway. I dropped the trailer, drove one exit away, bought a tire and wheel, and put it on the trailer myself at a cost of $150. I wrote about my experience on the Good Sam forum, and a rep. contacted me and sent me a check for $150. While I appreciate the repayment, the whole point is for me to not be stuck on the side of the road for 6 hours. We do have Good Sam now for our Class A, but I think we're going to also get Coach Net before our big summer vacation (7 weeks across the western US.)
Old 04-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #7

After doing a ton o research several years ago, once we had purchased a Class C MH, Coach Net came out on top in all categories, expect pricing. They were a bit higher, but they do provide the service. They also do not limit the miles on towing as other providers do. Yo have to really get into the details of the plan. We have since upgraded to a class A, and stayed with Coach Net. I will be renewing my plan the first of the month with them.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #8

We are also trying to decide on which is best for us. Not sure if you have a class A, but I found this resource helpful:
https://rvnstyle.com/best-roadside-a...son-and-costs/
Time2roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
GFC

I wish I had found this page 2 weeks ago. We bought a used Monaco Cayman 35'er and on the way home we stopped for fuel and when we were ready to leave it wouldn't start due to dead batteries.

3 hours and $460 later we were on our way after calling a local wrecker company. He brought us two new batteries and it started right up.

I'm going to go through that article again, decide which company I want to sign up with and do it before we take another trip.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #10

Look into your vehicle insurance and do as an add-on. Much cheaper. That's what we did.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #11

Add roadside to vehicle policy.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #12

I use State Farm roadside assistance. Over the past 20 years, they have towed my motorhomes three times. The last time they towed my coach 52 miles at night after dark thirty, and I never had to pay a dime.
They are expensive at $10 per year!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:22 AM   #13

If you have time to wait possibly hours for roadside assistance they all are about the same.
Otherwise call the local guy, pay the man, and be on your way.
We've been lucky with few issues on the road but none of them have been anywhere near civilization.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #14

THANK YOU...this thread is full of great information and I hope it is helpful to others!
After reviewing my insurance policy (Duh) I found that Roadside is included.

Has anyone had experience with flat tire without a spare? How is that handled? Do they bring a tire (at my cost of course)?
Gnomad1 is offline   Reply With Quote