Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Best RV insurance

Have any of you heard of Blue Sky? Does anyone have that or GMAC or National Interstate...what do you think of it?
Thanks
JudyandLisa
judyandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #2

Judy: I have found better prices for RV Insurance at Progressive, I tried GMAC through the Good Sam website and found it to be higher. Progressive offers the same credit for "part time" RV use and they credit you cost wise for the time your RV is not used or kept in storage. We just bought a new Tiffin Phaeton 40 motor home and I found the Progressive coverage to be cheaper than GMAC. Hope this helps......
Largeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We also have Progressive to be the most competitive in price and coverage for our RV.
fishngjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #4

Why don't you use your the insurance company that carries your home policy?
I have been with State Farm INS. for over 20 years now. State Farm is insuring my home, car, truck and 5th wheel. I am extremely happy with them and their rates. Everything is package so I receive the maximum discounts I can receive and I can get an agent when I need one.
I had a tire blow out when on vacation this year in Kearny NB, Sunday at 8:00 Am. Called my agent back in IL and was connected to a service claim rep. She authorized a tow service to change the tire and started the claim process. She also authorized temporary repair service of the gray water tank drain.
When I return from vacation the trailer was dropped off at the dealer to be repaired. One week later trailer was repaired as good as new with my only cost to me was the deductible.

Jim W.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also have Progressive coverage for the RV. I found that they had the best price by far! (GMAC wanted DOUBLE what Progressive quoted me)
Old 10-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just remember that you get what you pay for. You don't really know how good the insurance company is until you have to make a claim. I have Farmers because I know they won't fight you on every little thing.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have GMAC.

Just made my first claim.

While driving I 90 through SD the wind pulled my awning out and up. Called GMAC they issued a claim number and told me to take it to the shop of my choice. They asked that the shop send a couple picks and the estimate.

Dropped the MH off at the shop yesterday. I will keep you posted on how they do but so far no hassles.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Why don't you use your the insurance company that carries your home policy?
I have been with State Farm INS. for over 20 years now. State Farm is insuring my home, car, truck and 5th wheel. I am extremely happy with them and their rates. Everything is package so I receive the maximum discounts I can receive and I can get an agent when I need one.
- SNIP -
Jim W.
I've had State Farm for over 40 years for home and toys. Have been pleased with their service.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #9

I wish someone had told me this before I got Progressive. Check their chairman, Peter Lewis, prior to purchasing. Had I done that, I would not be looking for another company.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We went with Progressive after one of their customers ran into us. They could not have been better handling a very expensive relatively complicated claim. They followed up when things were not right and stayed with us for three years until it was all handled.

We just went through an insurance review combining insurance for better pricing but when it came to the RV we stayed with Progressive (our agent agreed we should not change even though he was cheaper). The issue was full replacement and Progressive has an impressive full replacement program which we could not walk away from, at least our policy does.

I will add that when we did this study we found out a lot about what we had---and because we have been basically with the same company for many decades for car insurance when we challenged the price we discovered the benefits of staying where we are, same policy. For instance some of these new pay back policies have you agreeing (or maybe not maybe it is just automatic) to be credit checked every so often and if you miss payments elsewhere it can effect your insurance pricing.

Our old policy has no such condition.

During this same time frame we had our mortgage company ( a well know huge corporation) claim we missed two payments. We have never missed a payment in our life but it took some wrangling to get their error corrected and we are automatic withdrawal.

The implications of changing insurance policies and having this kind of mistake made were unsettling.

Be careful it's a jungle out there---look before you leap.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #11

Was going with Progressive until I found out who owned it. Am now with GEICO for RV coverage. Other ins. is Farmers. Pennies difference. Since had coverage with Geico I stayed. As my RV is older, could not get replacement coverage.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to see this thread. I had called GS today to check on membership expiration date and while I was on the phone I decided to check on RV insurance. I'm went with State Farm this past year after AARP (Hartford) went raised our rates by over $400 this year because DW and I both are over 65. I'm 6 months out on next renewal so I thought I start checking around now.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #13

12 responses and not one mention of Blue Sky so far, so I'll just note that after doing a little homework we went with them recently. Our home/car insurance company doesn't underwrite motorhomes, and the policy we had on our old motorhome would have neaqrly doubled with the purchase of the newer one. We received what I feel is a very reasonable rate from a very pleasant agent. FWIW
Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I have never heard of Blue Sky. (but they have never heard of me either)
I had State Farm for over 30 years on the house and cars. But, since they didn't want to insure houses in Florida anymore, I took my auto insurance to USAA and they are one of the 2 top rated insurance companies.
But, they do not insure RV's. They refer folks to Progressive. I will have to check them out.

Tags
insurance