Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #1

Best RV Park-Davis Mountains-TX & Season

Anyone have any places they can recommend at the Davis Mountains to stay in our RV? Full hookup ? And what did you do, while there, that you'd recommend? And what season was your favorite? Grocery store or restaurants as well ?

And is it safe ?

Thx so much.
Bella222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #2

Is it safe???? What does that mean? It's in a gorgeous area. The town is tiny.

Davis Mtn. State Park is the best place to stay. The observatory has awesome presentations. Hiking is nice.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Agree with twogypsies.
Safe? What are you worried about? Just watch the night drive to and from the star party at the observatory. Lots of javelina are on the road
Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #4

The Davis Mountain state park has a big camping area, but there are a lot of small sites to watch out for, and it looked like most of the bigger sites weren't very level so bring a good supply of leveling blocks.
There is lots to do there; the obvious ones are the Observatory and the old west fort. The town of Fort Davis is small, but there is a nice grocery store close to the park and you have to stop in the old general store for an old fashioned milk shake.
One other thing we enjoyed was just outside Alpine (about 30 miles from the park) was an art trail made by a local artist named Harry Weekley. There were lots of unusual displays made from mostly scrap steel.
The park is over 4,000 ft in elevation and a local told me that even in summer the temperature usually stays in the 80's for highs and wildflowers bloom all summer so it's almost a year round park.
We didn't make it to Marfa, but that's supposed to be a nice artsy kind of place with a few good restaurants.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 PM   #5

We stayed at the state park and found it great. Went to the Star Party at the Observatory but was a cloudy night. Went to Marfa and didn’t see the lights the night we were there. Don’t plan on eating in Marfa there aren’t many choices. We did go to the old general store in Fort Davis and it was great.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #6

Haven't stayed overnight in Ft. Davis, but since you're so close head on down to the Big Bend area. We just returned from there and stayed at the Maverick RV Ranch, which is part of the Lajitas golf resort. Very cool place. You could also stay in Big Bend, but it's not really big rig/trailer friendly.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #7

It's been many, many years since I was in Ft. Davis.

That said;

We use Google Maps for almost all of our looking for parks. We are also huge fans of Texas State Parks and would highly recommend them.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Haven't stayed overnight in Ft. Davis, but since you're so close head on down to the Big Bend area. We just returned from there and stayed at the Maverick RV Ranch, which is part of the Lajitas golf resort. Very cool place. You could also stay in Big Bend, but it's not really big rig/trailer friendly.
I also recommend going to Big Bend Nat'l Park while at Ft. Davis. It's awesome. I disagree with it not being big rig friendly. Our 40' motorhome fit in Rio Grande Village campground and Cottonwood campground just fine.... many times. There's also a Rio Grande RV in the area of the campground but we love the campground.... more room and more pleasant.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #9

I know this isn't Ft. Davis Mountains specific but i HAVE to put another recommendation in for Maverick Ranch RV park (part of the Lajitas resort). We have stayed there 4 or 5 times now and continue to return to it every fall. Great people, large level sites (FHU) with many pull-thrus, clean bathrooms, lovely views. It is literally one of my most favorite places to camp, second only to Moab, UT.

In fact, if you are worried about taking a big rig to Ft. Davis Mtns, it's only a 2 hour drive from Lajitas. Maybe stay there and visit the ft. davis mountains on a day trip!

To address your "is it safe" question: I find south Texas to be one of the safest areas I've ever been to. We've never had an ounce of trouble with people or property throughout the south Texas/El Paso/Big Bend area.

When we camp we almost always Mountain Bike on very expensive carbon fiber full suspension race bikes ($6,000 and up each), and we have never worried about them being stolen.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #10

Prude Ranch also has RV spaces with full hook ups. They have a website you can peruse.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #11

We were in that area in February and stayed at the Lost Alaskan RV park in Alpine. Nice clean park with large sites. Park has an RV wash area available. It was awesome. We had just left Big Bend and we're visiting the tri cities, Alpine, Marfa and Ft Davis.
Terry in Kalamazoo.............
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #12

My first choice would be Davis Mountains State park, Prude ranch is a second choice, though be aware their electrical setup (some sites are 20 amp only), sites, and elevated sewer dump connections are less than great. Also their RV campground is next to their small rodeo arena.

If you want to stay in town within walking distance of dining options, crafty stores, etc. you might consider the Overland Trail RV campground and motel, as it is in the middle of town, though basically a gravel parking lot. (location is about the only thing this place has going for it) being within walking distance of 4 or 5 dining options ranging from burgers and hand made milk shakes at the drug store, to somewhat fancy dining at the Limpia hotel (across the street).

As has been mentioned Fort Davis is tiny (when I first started going there nearly 30 years ago the street around the court house was only paved on 1 side (the main highway side), they have one grocery store, which should not be confused with a "supermarket" the place has all the basics, just don't expect anything exotic. Its the sort of place with about a dozen parking spaces out front, and about 10 shopping carts inside. There is also a Family Dollar in town now (or was as of last year), which is the only chain store or restaurant in town. As to being safe, I would be more worried about wildlife than anything else, even in town in the middle of the night.

p.s. I prefer spring or fall, April - early June or Late September - Early November, though it can be hot in the daytime by June and into September many years, temperatures still tend to drop at night
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #13

Two of my friends just left Prude Ranch headed to BBNP and raved about the park. Haven’t personally been there myself I’ll second a thumbs up for The Lost Alaskan in Alpine and back when we had the 45’ coach Maverick Ranch worked well for us in Lajitas.