Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #15

Best RV Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Last time I looked, floors, generally, are located INSIDE buildings, and MH are located OUTSIDE buildings. Why would ZEP add any ingredients to protect against UV? Why would any vehicle use ANY finish product that does not protect against UV? Like dryer sheets for mice and skins-so-soft for mosquito repellant.

A thick wax finish is often some of the best UV protection money can buy because it keeps fiberglass from drying out. It acts as an oxidation blocker critical to the long life of fiberglass. Fiberglass is naturally UV resistant. All I know is the top experts in the RV and boating industry are using ZEP with great results, and it works really good for me too. This wax job survived 120 F degree heat this last summer and I just took this picture today. Do a search on YouTube. There are hundreds of videos about this.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimemeone View Post
Removed the oxidation and started waxing using Maquires marine wax with a DA polisher but while it's giving me a nice shine it's not giving me that wet look I see on other RV's and will last more than a couple months.
Thank's in advance for all replies,
Jim & Diane 98' HRE 37'
Take a look at this product from Chemical Guys. I have had good success with their products and customer service.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Phase_5_...p/gap11464.htm
Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #17

Cimplex, I am happy that you have such good results with ZEP, but I question that fiberglass "is naturally UV resistant". I have never seen a fiberglass surface that can outlast the sun. I have tried and tried to keep the sun from oxidizing the gel coat on my boat, 5ver or TT, but the sun continues to win out. But I'm open to learning sumtin.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I use what I use on vehicles at home...Nu Finish or Meguiar's Cleaner Wax.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #19

Fiberglass is not UV resistant. Depending on the resin used it tends to break down at the fiber/plastic interface. Gel coat is used to block UV. The pigment blocks the UV but the resin still breaks down hence the chalking.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Getting a deep shine out from weathered gel coat isn't easy and keeping it looking good is even harder. Automotive products may work but unfortunately the effect will be short lived. I've got a shelf in the garage with multiple products that claim to restore the finish and for the most part they did for a few weeks. The base material just isn't there to hold the shine like clear coated paint. Gel coated fiberglass has very different wear properties than automotive paint so what works on your daily driver might not work on the coach.

The idea of using commercial floor coatings came out of the boaters world and first caught on with the small towables owners and has since migrated to other rig types. Many owners, myself included, have been using Zep with very nice results. My effort lasts about a year out in the sun and weather 24/7. Each spring I'll I wash with a strong detergent that will strip the coating off. Saturday wash with a Sunday wax. If I happen to pick up a heavy layer of road dirt a light wash with dish soap cleans the coach easily without harming the coating. Takes multiple of light coats to achieve the deep gloss shine you might be looking for.

I've had no issues with yellowing but over winter I do get some peeling on the front and rear caps but nothing on the side walls. I suspect this is due to thermal expansion and contraction during the colder months and the different material and construction technique used to make the caps as compared to the sides. The fifth image is of the rear cap and shows the peeling. No problems during the rest of the year.

In the images of my coach the red strip is automotive paint while the others are the original decals from 2006. Paint replaced a black decal that didn't hold up to the heavy sun where the former owner lived. The black decal looked like crinkle paint when I striped it off. After 12 years and five with Zep the original decals are holding up well. The paint I had mixed with extra UV protection and have not had any degradation since applied two years ago.

One word of caution to any other owners reading this and thinking of giving Zep a try, IT DOESN'T WORK ON CLEAR COATED PAINT. Stay with conventional products and procedures. And if you want to point out I have paint on my coach well I didn't clear coat the stripes. Single stage paint.

Good luck restoring the rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-16 12.52.28.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	192468   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-16 12.52.43.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	192469  

Name:	2017-04-16 12.53.26.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	192470   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170416_125309.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	192471  

Name:	2017-04-15 11.01.14.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	192473  
Old 02-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I started seeing Zep floor wax being used on badly oxidized boats almost 20 years ago. It will get you several seasons of good finish and then it will crack and start to peel. At that point it has to be stripped which is a huge, messy, labor intensive job.

Over the years on each forum it comes and goes in popularity as that eventual peeling part of the cycle comes around. Then it goes away for a couple years and eventually it comes back. The one thing everyone eventually comes to is there is no free lunch. You may be able to put the labor off for 2 or 3 years but eventually you will have to do all or more of that labor to get the stuff off so you can start over.

There are other fads for restoring fibreglass such as wiping it with Penetrol which is a paint additive. The best method is to wet sand and buff with progressively finer polishes until it is super glossy and then wax or use polymer sealants to keep it from oxidizing again. Unfortunately the fibreglass on campers has very thin gel coat which is less conducive to this before you go through the finish. Boats have much thicker gel coat on average.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The best wax/polish, IMO, is whatever 3 or 4 young dudes apply while you sit in a lawn chair and watch while drinking a cold Bud Lite .
Old 02-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
The best wax/polish, IMO, is whatever 3 or 4 young dudes apply while you sit in a lawn chair and watch while drinking a cold Bud Lite .
We're not worthy.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Attachment 192456

Believe or not I use this stuff. Zep commercial floor wax. I use the wet floor look wax. I needed something that was safe with fiberglass. A lot of RV experts recommend Zep. I did my entire 30 foot Motorhome RV with half a bottle. I applied the wax on mine over 4 months ago and my RV still has that Beverly Hills shine. Just use a cloth or mop to wipe it on evenly and then allow it dry completely to the touch. It will stand up against rain, weather and the elements.
Zep was recommended to me as well as was cleaning it was TSP first. It worked great and I will use it again the next time.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I'd rather sit and drink something that tastes like beer.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #26

Fiberglass itself is very uv resistant. The resins used are where the issues arise. Polyester resin is not uv resistant and will shrink and crack with uv exposure. Most all boat and rv's are made with polyester resins and Loose strand fiberglass as they are much cheaper than their epoxy resin and woven cloth fiberglass counterparts. Epoxy resins hold up much better to uv, but still require top coats to prevent uv degradation.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:52 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I'd rather sit and drink something that tastes like beer.
Pretty much told my son the same thing one time when he offered me a Coors Light. Although, I'd even drink a couple of those if it'd get some younger guys to wax my coach.

No beer smilie? Why is there no beer smilie?
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
I use Rejex on my Motor Home and truck. It rated for 50 washes. It is used in aviation and marine applications. The Navy even uses it on the radar covers on naval ships. What I like is easy on easy off no buffing needed. I also use the wash that they sell. I do not work for them.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote