Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #1

Best Self-Leveling Sealant For An Aluminum Roof?

I'm trying to figure out which self-leveling roof sealant would be best to use for my 1996 Lance Squire 8000 truck camper with an aluminum roof and sides.

The guy at the RV store recommended Nu Flex 311 Self-Leveling Silicone for the roof.

I've read that some people hate using silicone because it can be difficult to remove. I got Auto Tech Quick N Easy Adhesive Remover, and maybe that would make dealing with it easier if I needed to redo the roof's sealant, but I'm not sure.

I know that the Dicor brand sealant is popular for roofs, but I read that some people hate it because it shrinks too much.

The Nu Flex 311 only has 7 reviews at Amazon, but they're all good: https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-95502-W...pe=all_reviews

Also, someone said, "Sticks well to other silicones (including CSL)." and a couple reviewers like it better than Dicor.

I haven't done a lot of research on self-leveling roof sealants yet, but this one seems like it might be a good choice.

Any thoughts on what sealant is best for an aluminum roof?
BreakAes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 05:01 AM   #2

Pretty hard to beat dicor. Ive never noticed any issues with shrinking. Both rvs I have had are 2000. The caulking had been on them a long time, and still looked pretty good. I redid both of them with dicor just because it looked old, and peace of mind. The layflat is very easy to work with. You just blob it on, and it lays out perfect. Makes it look like you are a pro. I wouldn't use anything else on a fibreglass or rubber roof. I don't see why it would be any different for aluminum. Some of my antennas and other things have aluminum bases on them. It seems to stick just fine to them.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:18 AM   #3

Dicor can't be beat in my opinion. I had to remove some to remove our TV antenna and it was quite a project to get that stuff off. I figure anything that difficult to remove is certainly sealing things well.

Of course, I used plenty when I replaced the antenna and it's been a perfect seal.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #4

Have you looked into EternaBond tape? The manufacturer says it can be used on aluminum. I've been using it on the roof of my RVs for many years and it works great.

Theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #5

Henry’s
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would use the Dicor 501LSW or 502LSW.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for Dicor. Always does the job, and looks good. Just clean the area real good before you apply it.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
I might leave that silicon in the tube. Over the years I have not been disappointed with Eternabond tape. Never used it on aluminum, but EB would be my choice after cleaning it thoroughly and sanding the surface to give the tape something to grab on to.
I used the fabric backed EB on an fiberglass Itasca MH and then painted the UV resistant paint on it. Worked great on rounded corners and no puckers. I keep a small roll for emergencies in the coach with us now.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Since it's a metal roof, you don't need an EPDM-compatible sealant. That really opens up the possibilities. Geocel Proflex RV is a good one, but not self-leveling. Geocel also make metal roof sealants, e.g. Geocel Roof Pro and Geocel 4350. Sika (Sikaflex) and 3M also have a wide variety of sealant products that could be used, depending on the properties you favor.

I suggest you Google 'metal roof sealant' and go from there. Your biggest problem will be too many options.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, roof, seal, sealant