Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #1

best slideout support

I am looking for advice / product suggestions to deal with my slide-out sag.

I pull a 29'TT with a wide slide-out and often have it in one location for a couple months at a time. My TT is a 2014 but I am noticing a bit of sag. The level bubble is slightly off center when I measure.

I have seen a few slide-out supports for sale on amazon but they do not seem like they would fit my rig because of the lack of a bars to mount the support brackets under.

My rig's slide-out just comes out differently. I will include pictures of both the slide-out supports I have seen and pics of my slide-out to make this point clear.
https://imgur.com/gallery/buBd3

First, should I be worried about the sag with such a new TT? I just bought it but it is only 3 years old.
Second, if traditional slide-out supports wont fit my rig, does anyone know of a product that will work?

Thx guys, you have been an invaluable resource for my family and our adventures.
MrWanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your modern slide should not need any outside supports and in fact they will damage the slide rather than support it. If it is sagging at all it can be adjusted but it looks normal from your pictures.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Never put a support under a slide out. Picture the damage if a tire was to go flat and the coach settled down, but the slide didn't.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #4

how do i adjust the sag without supports? Do i need to take it to a professional?
MrWanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
IC2

I use a pair of slide supports.

The chances of a tire failure is slim though sinking in the mud - tires or support is higher but still slim. I have a secondary set of BAL stabilizer screw jacks I put under the frame ahead of the wheels, the front landing gear as well as the electric set of rear stabilizers so I don't worry regardless of the doomsday naysayer prophets that tell me our 5er willl be destroyed if one of my $225 each tires fail. If you have front and rear stabilizer jacks ----

You DO NOT use a slide support to raise a sagging slide to level. If your slide is more then a couple degrees out of line with the main floor, you have other problems.

A slide support is just put into contact with the slide and maybe another half turn. They are IMO, only for use to help stop the rocking of your trailer when someone walks around by reducing the lever arm hanging off the side and past the frame rails.

Most slide supports are too short and will need something to increase their effctice length. I made up a pair height 'adjusters' from a 2x4 and spread the load from a single small point to about 18". I also put them on a wide board on the ground.

Measure your slide height, buy the tallest that will take the least amount of built up blocking to fit and go have a good time. Also consider using supplementary screw jacks that may reduce others verbal comment.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

Need some more info--is the slide itself sagging, or is the entire trailer sagging/getting off-level to the slide side?
Most often, the weight of a large slide will tend to cause settling toward that side--the answer is better support/pads under your frame jacks. Spreading the weight with a large pad (16x16) may be all you need. If you have scissor jacks, try solid jackstands under the frame once you are setup--scissor jacks may move lower with movement in the trailer, especially if they are extended all the way.
I used support jacks under my '02 Sunnybrook--most times, the trailer settling toward the slide side caused too much strain on the jacks to suit me. Quit using them and went to better support under the frame jacks--problem solved.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #7

My last RV was very specific and bolded saying never use a slide out support. If, in fact, the slide out is sagging you have issues that a support will not solve. If the entire RV is leaning the last thing you would want to do is to use the slide out to support it.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the slide is sagging but the trailer is not actually leaned, then the slide is not extended completely at the bottom; it may have creeped in a bit. Try hitting the button to extend it again. Not a single RV manufacturer that I'm aware of will recommend using supports under a slide out; take that however you want.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slideout, slide