Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #29

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larcougar View Post
how about Arizona nice and warm In the sedona area not to much rain or snow.
State income tax and higher sales taxes than many, if not most, States. Although cheaper than CA, AZ property prices is higher than a kite which adversely affects CG rent.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AZ vehicle registration is high. At one time it was almost double the CA rate. Not sure what it is like in CA now, but AZ still high.

Glenn
Old 11-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #31

The 50 state list is helpful, but it does have some inaccuracies. For example, it lists NY taxes but doesn't mention that government pensions are exempt from NY tax as is Social Security. Also regular pension and IRA distributions have a $20,000 per year per person exemption. Some states may seem attractive because of little or no income tax, but they ding you with a personal property tax. Also be aware of estate taxes. Florida is very attractive from a tax standpoint while you are alive, but it does have some tough estate taxes. Every situation is different and I don't see a one size fits all state out there.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
not sure about sd
but in texas if your a disabled vet over 60% or over....free dl and i pay 3 per year to have a tag on my rv,

plus we get free hunting and fishing licenses

oh and zero property tax up to 20 acres
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #33

iRV2 No Limits Club
This link is loaded with info about taxes, etc. in the States.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #34

All those full timer folks who go to South Dakota can't be serious about staying there in the winter can they??. It's just a mailing address right?? You can still come to Florida in the Winter, right??
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been from sd for 3yr. & love it, also with alt. Resources
DRBARBER001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
This link is loaded with info about taxes, etc. in the States.

Great Link, Lady Fitz. Kiplinger is pretty accurate in their assessments. We use them a lot here in my practice.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #37
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You only have to go there once every 5 years to renew your drivers license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
All those full timer folks who go to South Dakota can't be serious about staying there in the winter can they??. It's just a mailing address right?? You can still come to Florida in the Winter, right??

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
wnytaxman,

We still own a home in central NY but escape the weather for half, or so the year to Florida. This could easily be over half. Is there a legal way to change our residency (or would it be domicile) to Florida and keep the "summer" home? From what I understand we lose the STAR exemption but the $20K deduction won't matter for a few years since we retired way before 59.5.

I won't hold you to it because we are having a tough time cornering our tax guy about it. PM me if you like.

TIA Mark
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #39

I too am anxious to cross the border and get the HELL out of California. Tired of taxes, inept government and I sure don't want to pay them 8.25% sales tax on a 30k or 40k motorhome. I have family in Oregon so establishing domicile there is not difficult. In some counties you can add another 1.5% tax on top of that. Ain't that something? In Oregon my SSDI nor my military retirement earned prior to 1991 (retired 1993) is taxed. Why not make Oregon my home. I am with you Doggy Daddy; Goodbye California.
GoodbyeCalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
But how do you deal with the weather? I plan on going full time next year as the wife retires but I'm not sure how our joints would hold up to those harsh winters.
Mikief2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
wnytaxman,

We still own a home in central NY but escape the weather for half, or so the year to Florida. This could easily be over half. Is there a legal way to change our residency (or would it be domicile) to Florida and keep the "summer" home? From what I understand we lose the STAR exemption but the $20K deduction won't matter for a few years since we retired way before 59.5.

I won't hold you to it because we are having a tough time cornering our tax guy about it. PM me if you like.

TIA Mark
Owning property in a state does not make that state your domicile. You normally cannot claim a resident "homestead exemption" so your real estate taxes will be higher. Your home insurance may be higher. We own property in several states. Our domicile is Florida. You do not even have to spend much time in your domicile state, in most cases. Where you register to vote, register your vehicles, etc is the determiner.

One caveat, though. Most states will want to tax you as residents if you work in the state. Health insurance can also be an issue if you change domicile states. Check with a competent tax adviser and perhaps a knowledgeable attorney for definitive answers.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #42

I absolutely despise cold weather. I am only thinking of Oregon to get out of the horrible tax mess in CA. Central Oregon is beautiful in the summer. Would definitely head south in the winter; some time in San Diego, Parker NV, some in NM. etc. I'm sure I would not stay in Oregon in the winter; snow looks great on a postcard where it belongs.
GoodbyeCalif is offline   Reply With Quote