Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #1

Best Way To Remove Silicone Caulk From Paint???

I need to remove old silicone that is bad from the windows and clearance lights. What is the best way to do this so I do not scratch paint??? A putty knife is not good with paint. I found this out the hard way :S Is there a spray or some household product that will help remove the silicone caulking easily???

Thank you.
1995 Safari Sahara 33' (5.9 230HP Cummins B-Series Diesel, Allison MD3060 Transmission) Diesel Pusher. Daily Driver even to the store, Home Depot, restaurants, etc. 2 Dogs (Great Dane/Greyhound Mix and a pure bred Great Dane) goes everywhere with us.
dieseldrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a remover that I've seen at Lowes, I don't know how well it will work on your type of silicone, also, they do make hard plastic scrapers that shouldn't scratch your paint.

Dennis

Shop Motsenbocker's Lift Off 16 Oz. Spray Silicone Latex Caulk and Foam Sealant Remover at Lowes.com
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
KIX

In my experience there is no easy way to remove silicone. Best to never use it. I've used plastic razor blades with success before. Try a vinyl sign/decal shop and see if you can buy a few from them. Or you may be able to Google for them. They look like the old double edge razor blade and will fit in the double edge razor scrapers you can find at Home Depot.
If you're going to try something like Goof Off or mineral spirits be careful on your paint.
Good luck with getting that stuff off.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once you have removed the majority of the silicone with a scraper or putty knife use rubbing alcohol or acetone to remove any residue. You may want to do a test first with the acetone to make sure it will not attack the paint. Alcohol will work but it takes a little longer and more elbow grease.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've used a chiseled tipped Exacto knife with great success, but was careful in using it. I've also used the same in removing wax buildup in areas you can't get at... Fine Detailing!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #6

I have been cleaning up my '87 Itasca that also had alot of silicone on it from previous owners. I used a sharpened popsicle stick to scrape off the majority of it, then a cleaner labeled Omni Au, MX190. I bought this years ago when painting a car. It is used after sanding to remove paint and grease, etc. Did not hurt the paint at all and is not offense to use. I'm sure an auto body paint supply store would have something similar. I wore nitrile gloves and used a coarse cloth rag, demin works well with the cleaner to scrub off all remnants of the silicone. It even removes the black sealant the oozes out from behind the window frames. This is after most is removed by the stick first.
To rechaulk areas that needed it I have been using SeamerMate from Home Depot. This is an adhesive used on rain gutters that is silver in color. I like it as it seems to self level and gets a fairly hard surface that does not allow dirt to cling to it like silicone does. It is removable but it is hard to do so. So far the sun here in Az. has not affected it and I have some going on a year old on the coach.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #7

Silicone Removal
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I would be very worried about using acetone on any surface that is paint or fiberglass. Acetone (and also MEK & laquer thinner) is a very strong solvent for both paint and fiberglass.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote