Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #1

Best window blinds

I am building new valances in our motorhome and putting in new blinds. I want to use a roller blind. What is the best roller blind for a motorhome? Probably only going to put up blackout blinds since that is all we use now.

We currently have the pleated day/night blinds which I hate. Probably need something that can be secured if pulled down and driving down the road so they don't flop around. Any recommendations is appreciated.
dbhhcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #2

Expensive but I have MCD shades. They're roller shades and are a 2 part system. Closest to the window is a sun shade that works great during the day. Filters out the sun and allows light to enter the coach. The outer shade is solid and serves as a black out shade. They offer many colors and they're either electric (12 volts DC) or manual. I have a mix of both. The windshield covers are electric as are the windows next to our sofa and directly across from the sofa. The rest are manual.

Along the leading lower edge of each shade (on each corner where they would hit the window frame) is a piece of stick on velcro (the soft hook part) It cushions the shades and there's virtually no 'flapping' noise when driving. An alternative to the velcro would be a piece of self adhesive rubber weather stripping available at Home Depot or Lowes or just about any decent hardware store.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the help
dbhhcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #4

https://www.shadepro.net

http://automotionshade.com/English/P...44&productid=1
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:06 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
We had MCD shades but took them out and went with Automotion. The MCDs broke and no replacement parts available. Buy the complete shade, both day and night side when one breaks
Old 12-29-2019, 12:48 AM   #6

May I ask what you don't like about the day/night pleated blinds? We like ours.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
May I ask what you don't like about the day/night pleated blinds? We like ours.
The strings will eventually break and are a pain to replace. They need adjustment. I replaced my strings with fishing line, they work better but still need adjustment which I haven't gotten around to. They don't come up evenly and if not adjusted properly one side will hang lower than the other.

Spring roller type will do away with that. I'm going to look at Lowes and see what they have.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:13 AM   #8

The problem with any shades (pleated or roller) is that they block the breeze when you want to have the windows open. We prefer mini-blinds since they can be angled to block the sun and still let the breeze blow through. Down the road, you either pull them all the way up or put a small pillow behind them to stop the rattle. If the sun is really hot, and we are using the AC, we put a reflextec sheet against the window, as we do with the windshield when parked.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:24 AM   #9

If you are looking for "best", then you are looking for motorized shades. Keep in mind the wiring needs as you build your valances et al.
Also the control system to easily operate the motorized shades.

So, Lutron or Somfy blind motors. Lutron only comes with their own shade material. Somfy you can choose and have the installer put on what you want.

You can use two motors and shades per window for blackout vs. privacy shades.

RS485 control via my favorite control system.

That's the "best".

I have a sneaky suspicion you are not looking for "best" however as few will make the investment.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #10

I personally would not install motorized shades as this just complicates the setup and will eventually need repair.

When possible I keep to the KISS principal, especially on such an easy thing to do manually.

But that's just me and my opinion.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 12-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I personally would not install motorized shades as this just complicates the setup and will eventually need repair.

When possible I keep to the KISS principal, especially on such an easy thing to do manually.

But that's just me and my opinion.
sure, but we can also walk to our destinations pulling our little red wagon with our stuff.

Good motorized shades (ie: the Best) have very very good life. Cheap blind motors are just that.

I think the windshield and drivers / passenger windows are best suited for power to be operated by the driver when needed for glare control without having to reach for the blinds which is very distracting. One mistake paid for all of the blinds and then some.

The rest of rig motorized blinds is a deluxe feature found in the Best RVs.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Down the road, you either pull them all the way up or put a small pillow behind them to stop the rattle.

I also opted for miniblinds when replacing the day night shades. To keep them from rattling I built boxes that surround the window, the bottom and sides are lined with carpet. The heavy bar on the bottom of the blind rests on the carpet which lessens movement, the side carpeting means there's nothing hard to bang against.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valence1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	271192  
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
WDW

We removed the pleated junk and replaced them with room darkening insulated shades ( from Lowe’s). We also have awnings outside these main windows which are deployed when necessary. No need for “sun shades” in our book.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
We removed the pleated junk and replaced them with room darkening insulated shades ( from Lowe’s). We also have awnings outside these main windows which are deployed when necessary. No need for “sun shades” in our book.

Could you take a picture and Post, thanks.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV

Tags
wind, window