Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #1

Beware Camco Water Heater Tank Rinser

I bought one of these to clean my hot Water tank. Five seconds after I started, the long tube blew off inside the water heater where it now permanently resides. I don't know what this means for the future of the water heater but would advise others to use extreme caution in using this poorly designed and manufactured device. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #2

Wow that sounds frustrating, thanks for the tip.

Have you tried filling the tank with water and then removing the plug, maybe if you do that a few times it will come out. If not you may consider getting one if those endoscopes and maybe you can get to it with some kind of grabber thingy.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #3

Had one of those Camco Water Filler that you attach to your hose then stick down into gravity port to fill fresh water tank Second time I used it the Tube blew off.....been inside my fresh water tank since 2008 Plastic tube inside your Water Heater????
I can see several issues:
Getting hung up on one of the Dip Tubes
Banging around breaking one of the DIP Tubes
Getting stuck in drain hole and blocking draining of tank

If Suburban ....easy to remove the electric element and give you larger hole to retrieve it from
Same if Atwood ...access not as easy due to element being installed from backside of tank Either way....I would remove it

CAMCO......CHEAP, JUNK and I refuse to purchase anything from CAMCO

HINT: To flush water heater
Turn water supply off
Relieve System Pressure...open faucet hotside
Remove drain plug
Turn Water Supply ON...FULL Stand back and let it BLAST out the drain hole
*Cold inlet dip tube points downward and will stir up sediment on bottom of tank
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #4

I totally agree. Camco is mostly junk.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That’s sucks, as mentioned you can try a long fingered grabber. Used mine time when I drop a nut or bolt that my fingers or arms can’t reach.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-24...396H/206264355
Old 11-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
That’s sucks, as mentioned you can try a long fingered grabber. Used mine time when I drop a nut or bolt that my fingers or arms can’t reach.

If Atwood drain hole is only 1/2" opening...may be too small to use grabber and pull tube out

Suburban has 3/4" drain hole and MIGHT be able to use grabber

Personally I would remove element ...1" Opening

Plastic....Suburban WH it could get stuck between combustion/exhaust 'U' tube which is STACKED on top of each other.
Plastic up against combustion/exhaust 'U' Tube can melt
Less chance with Atwood due to diagonal 'U' Tube...
Water temps could reach 170*/180*F if T-STAT fails which could make that cheap plastic very soft/pliable (heck 130*/140*F might also...don't know temp rating of that cheap plastic)

Remove it...be done with it....why leave it to cause problems
Old 11-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post

You beat me to it. I have had one in my toolbox most of my life. I also have several types of magnetic picker-uppers for the steel stuff.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #8

That's an easy one, the grabber will get it in no time, mine has saved me a bunch of times. I've even started small nuts with it. Take out the T&P valve, it's another opening to work from.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for the grabber! I couldn't get by without that thingy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #10

Funny.. I just bought 1 of those things. I guess I'll have to test it out before I use it.
Old Biscuit's method should work well, too. but since I've already drained the lines I'll try it next time.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
That's an easy one, the grabber will get it in no time, mine has saved me a bunch of times. I've even started small nuts with it. Take out the T&P valve, it's another opening to work from.
Well, hopefully. Just went out and looked at my 6 gallon Atwood and see that the drain and the t/p valve holes are both 1/2 inch. On top of that, the drain on mine is angled up which would probably make things even more difficult.

The tube went in so it'll come out,,, but spotting it and getting it lined up might be the fun part. If it doesn't work out to be easy, then I'd think one of those spring loaded grabbers and an endoscope might be the solution.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Well, hopefully. Just went out and looked at my 6 gallon Atwood and see that the drain and the t/p valve holes are both 1/2 inch. On top of that, the drain on mine is angled up which would probably make things even more difficult.

The tube went in so it'll come out,,, but spotting it and getting it lined up might be the fun part. If it doesn't work out to be easy, then I'd think one of those spring loaded grabbers and an endoscope might be the solution.

Good luck 'fishing' thru those small openings

Unfortunate Atwood installed the element on backside...that is a 1" opening
If you have a combo gas/electric model
Old 11-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #13

Maybe because mine is so old, I have used it for at least 15 years without any problems. But maybe mine wasn’t manufactured non-USA.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
I bought one of these to clean my hot Water tank. Five seconds after I started, the long tube blew off inside the water heater where it now permanently resides. I don't know what this means for the future of the water heater but would advise others to use extreme caution in using this poorly designed and manufactured device. Chuck
Sorry but I chuckled.

Might fill it with cold water and unscrew the nut and see it it flushes out.

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater