RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #1

Beware of parking next to eucalyptus trees!

This RV has been sitting on the side of the road in San Diego for a while now. I did a web search and found no local news stories at all. I hope the owners weren't inside when it happened!

Be careful out there people, it's a crazy world sometimes!

vincebodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Is weak limbs a characteristic of that kind of tree?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Is weak limbs a characteristic of that kind of tree?
The root system is very shallow causing many of them to blow over in bad weather. The local college is in the process of removing 200 of them due to numerous damage from falling limbs and whole trees.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Three years ago, we stayed a popular local campground in Southern California, called Pismo Coast Village. It's a nice campground on the beach, a place we stay at a couple of times a year. The campground had gained some notoriety when one of their large pine trees fell and smashed a small trailer. It should be noted, that since this campground is so close to the beach, these large pines only root to about two feet and several in the park were 80' tall.

During our stay three years ago, we were there with three other couples, when the evening turned cold and drizzly and the wind picked up. We all joked about how the tree had fallen last time they had bad weather.

Well......about 2:00am, we heard the wind really blowing and then a loud crash. A few minutes later, our friends called and said they were trapped in their motor home, two spaces from us. I went out and saw that two trees had fallen. One crushed a trailer next to our friends and the tree canopy (large branches) pined their door closed. I had to saw away a large branch so they could get out. Across the road, the other tree fell and crushed a 34' trailer right in half, all the way down to the frame. The Monaco in the photos, belongs to our friends.

After this incident, the second time now, they had a tree crew in the next day and cut down EVERY large pine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160308_102908.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	305053

Name:	20160307_131711.jpg
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	305054

Name:	20160307_085939.jpg
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	305055

Name:	20160307_033021.jpg
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	305056

Name:	20160307_083155.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	305057

Name:	20160307_083205.jpg
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	305058

Name:	20160307_083211.jpg
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	305059
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've always been nervous about parking near large pine trees!
Old 10-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #6

Out west, cottonwood trees are even worse. When they hit water they get really big, really fast, but they only live about 30 years before they start dropping limbs.

They'll live a lot longer, but you don't want anything underneath them, especially hen the wind blows.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #7

Considering the odds of this actually happening to any single RV I don't think I'll worry about it unless hurricane or tornado weather is on the horizon. More likely to get T-Boned in traffic.
tfryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincebodie View Post
This RV has been sitting on the side of the road in San Diego for a while now. I did a web search and found no local news stories at all. I hope the owners weren't inside when it happened!

Be careful out there people, it's a crazy world sometimes!

Looking at the last pic it appears that tree had a lot of rot in the forks!
Old 10-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #9

I lived in San Diego for 35 years. This was a common occurrence related to Eucalyptus trees.
TXTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #10

Been camping in California all summer. I see a lot of old live oaks with similar failures. The campground I'm in has several roped off. It's usually caused by rot working it's way down into into the crotch as you can clearly see in the photo. Not terribly uncommon in old trees. I think the big danger with trees like this comes from their size. A couple year ago not far from where I lived a couple was killed by a large limb from a fir tree dropping on their car and crushing them.

That certainly IS a dramatic photo!

I grew up in California and the smell of Eucalyptus reminds me of summer. I loved riding my motorcycle past the aromatic stands. Last month we were camped in Napa and took a bicycle ride on a trail along Hwy 29 past Yountville, home to the largest example of this species in North America. The tree is truly massive. This is where I saw the information sign calling it an invasive species. It stated the danger from falling limbs, shallow root system and flammable oils. There are large eucalyptus along the bike trail and it passes right by this massive tree right in the center of the highway. When I see huge old trees I always wonder what they've seen in their long lives. On a side note, the next day we had a wonderful lunch in Calistoga just prior to riding the motorcycle back to Napa along the beautiful Silverado Trail road. Two days later, that area was ravaged by fires and many of the beautiful wineries we passed were destroyed.

https://californiabigtrees.calpoly.e...s-viminalis/59

If this peaks your interest in big trees, check out the page listing them:

https://californiabigtrees.calpoly.e..._search=search

Here's a photo of three Oaks that are roped off in our campground, and one across from our rig.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LiveOaksRopedOff.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	305061   Click image for larger version

Name:	LiveOak.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	305062  

astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #11

That happens to any tree with an equal fork in the trunk when it gets old and near the end of the life cycle.
Water collects in the fork and eventually rots the wood.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here in So Cal these Eucalyptus trees were planted a few decades ago for lumber and wind breaks around fields.

Never worked out for that purpose, but some live on. Many are being removed due to aging and killing folks. A few years ago a large limb fell on a car stopped at a red light in Newport Beach and killed her. Huge city payout to her survivors and all of the trees on that street were removed. Liability issues.

Continues to this day. The San Diego picture appears to be a homeless motor coach parked along public right of way. Many dozens around here.

My brother-in-law was at Pismo Coast RV during that wind event a bit away from the falling tree. Quite an ordeal he said.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking