Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Beware ordering from Camping World

I made that mistake.
On 6/22 I placed a order for a TST tire pressure monitor. As of today I have not gotten it nor have I been able to get any information about it. ON 7/1 I called customer service and was told they would check on it and let me know, 7/2 no answer so I called to cancel the order and was told they would have to check with the vendor before canceling the order in case it had already shipped. Now it is 7/3 and I still have no information on my order and you are holding $600 plus so I can’t buy one somewhere else and have $1200 tied up. I have a trip planned soon and it looks as if I will make it without tire protection. Also if I buy it somewhere else it will cost me another 12% as TST increased their prices on 7/1.
So as I said beware.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 12:10 PM   #2

I've run into similar ordering issues elsewhere. To the point I'm about to give up online ordering in favor of old fashioned phone calling. No guarantee that the people will be at all competent but at least my credit card payment won't disappear into an automated storefront computer which has apparently been abandoned and ignored by the people charged with actually fulfilling the orders. Apparently what happened with one vendor. (after not being able to contact them either credit card refunded me). Another dragged around for a week before acknowledging the order. Another was similarly slow but at least told me fairly quickly that they only had people coming in two days a week or so. I would have preferred to know that before the fact, but at least they communicated. All that interspersed by orders being taken like business as usual. Ordering online has become a real crap shoot.
I allowed two months for some "last minute" stuff I wanted to do before a trip. Should have allowed four months apparently. Maybe six.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:13 PM   #3

Call your credit card company. They may have more options.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That relatively short delay is not uncommon during this time when many companies are running on skeleton crews if at all. Hope you can get it resolved in time for your trip!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #5

I have run into the same situation with all types of vendors, and it's the lack of communication that is the killer. I understand the present circumstances, but a simple, up front statement that things are slow and deliveries cannot be guaranteed on specific dates would help. However, the death blow for a vendor is to say they will "get back to you," and they fail to do so. That's when I pull the plug. That is where CW really fails in this situation.

At least the OP was able to contact CW. I was unable to get through to a human being. Emails got non-informative automated replies.

It's only going to get worse as the resurgence of the virus spreads. I now only order by phone and ask one important question, is the item in stock? If it is, a second question about when it will ship follows. If it's not in stock, I move to another vendor. The glitch in my new methodology is how difficult it is to reach a vendor by phone and talk to a real person. But that, itself, is my first filter.

I'm afraid these circumstances are another facet of the "new normal" that will be with us for a time.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I have run into the same situation with all types of vendors, and it's the lack of communication that is the killer. I understand the present circumstances, but a simple, up front statement that things are slow and deliveries cannot be guaranteed on specific dates would help. However, the death blow for a vendor is to say they will "get back to you," and they fail to do so. That's when I pull the plug. That is where CW really fails in this situation.

At least the OP was able to contact CW. I was unable to get through to a human being. Emails got non-informative automated replies.

It's only going to get worse as the resurgence of the virus spreads. I now only order by phone and ask one important question, is the item in stock? If it is, a second question about when it will ship follows. If it's not in stock, I move to another vendor. The glitch in my new methodology is how difficult it is to reach a vendor by phone and talk to a real person. But that, itself, is my first filter.

I'm afraid these circumstances are another facet of the "new normal" that will be with us for a time.
I'm afraid you're right!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #7

Talking to a couple managers at Bass Pro today regarding their inventory or lack of

They stated many of their suppliers were back ordered on average 90 days

Locally boats and RV sales and equipment are way above average

Going to be an interesting last half of the year
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #8

If you can cancel with CW, try TechnoRV.com. Super people and great service.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I have had a lot more luck using the online chat windows. It was the only way to speak to CW at all last week.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #10

I was gonna say, it's not just camping world.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:00 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Many on-line retailers carry very little inventory, if any at all. Inventory in a warehouse costs money. Even Amazon doesn't have inventory of many items sold on its websites. Orders are shipped direct to consumers from its suppliers or 3PL in some cases.

Communication is key, Amazon is very good at that. Camping World not so much. I strongly suspect CW did not have the item in stock, if ever, and it will be shipped direct from its supplier with a CW shipping label..... because that's how it's done in the new retail world!
Old 07-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Bill View Post
I made that mistake.
On 6/22 I placed a order for a TST tire pressure monitor. As of today I have not gotten it nor have I been able to get any information about it. ON 7/1 I called customer service and was told they would check on it and let me know, 7/2 no answer so I called to cancel the order and was told they would have to check with the vendor before canceling the order in case it had already shipped. Now it is 7/3 and I still have no information on my order and you are holding $600 plus so I can’t buy one somewhere else and have $1200 tied up. I have a trip planned soon and it looks as if I will make it without tire protection. Also if I buy it somewhere else it will cost me another 12% as TST increased their prices on 7/1.
So as I said beware.

Did you save anything over buying from TST direct in cumming Georgia?
Old 07-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, at the time the price was less than direct from TST. That is not unusual. A lot of MFG's will not sell for less than their distributors. Doing a little checking and fing CW is having financial Problems. I think they tried to grow too fast.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had good luck with eTrailer.com. Not sure they carry everything but what I have ordered has come quickly. Recently ordered a vent fan with cover from them and had it in 3 days.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world