Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Never place your phone number there.

Many spell it but that is just stupid.

We have sold many things and so far no issues.

Always state communication will be via the cl email.

Some will argue that they need to call...but if they can see the add then they can send email.

That will create a paper trail so to speak and usually spammers refuse to do that.
Why so secretive? A seller not wanting to give me his phone number or address would turn me off quickly. Trust works both ways, and it's pretty easy to determine (via a few e-mails) whether things are on the up and up.

If I'm selling a vehicles of any kind, I expect to get scammers. For that reason, my ad clearly states, "If you respond to this ad, include your zip code and area code, or I won't respond. Feel free to include phone number if you'd rather talk about it." works like a charm, because scammers don't know what I'm referring to.

Replies that state, "I'm Charlie in zip 35244 and AC 205 and please tell me more. Call me at 205-984-5555." always get my attention. Those that don't include it are discarded.

Additional photos have to go to an e-mail address, not a CL addy. There's that, too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #44

Phone numbers come after the email contact.

Never ever list phone number in cl.

We usually list something like an old air compressor pump with photos and indicate best way to contact is via email first as schedule is always changing (it is).

Interested parties usually will ask a question in their email and ask to call at a general time.

We call during the time they indicate and all is well.

We get enough telemarketers already and we have no inbound calls from cl to add.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #45

I don't like brining people to my house. I usually will meet people in front of our local police station. If someone is going to rob me there, they can have whatever they want.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:48 AM   #46

Most of my buying is done for appliances that go into rental properties, so all of those transactions are done at peoples' homes; usually garages.

My selling is all over the board, so if it's something of value and if it's small, I meet people. There's an Urgent Care center that happens to be near a WalMart, so meeting in that parking lot is easy....and if anything goes weird, it isn't very far for the perp to crawl for help

Agreed with previous posters about phone numbers. I only give it out if a responder appears to be legit and has provided their zip and area codes (if it's large-dollar purchase)
Old 02-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Put the gasser on CL 2 weeks ago. The day after I posted the ad, this came in, copied directly from the e-mail.

"Thanks for your mail,Am interested in buying this and i will paying you the asking price so consider me as your favorite buyer and Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it. I would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my flexible schedule. I will be paying you with my PayPal Account because it's attached to my Bank Account and its safe and very secure way to make payment online. If my mode of payment is accepted kindly email me with the Your PayPal Email Address and Your Picked Up Location Address...Thanks

1) What is the condition?
2) Are you the First Owner?
3) Your PayPal Email Address or send me an invoice
4) Your Picked Up Location Address

And if you don't have paypal you can easily setup one visit www.paypal.com and get back to me with your paypal email address and the full name you use to register,after the payment has gone through my pick up agent will contact you and make a pick up arrangement with you,i wont be able to call you the only means of communication is via email."

The red flags here are a combination of these elements.

1. Paying full price
2. Doesn't want to inspect it.
3. Using PayPal to pay
4. Pick up agent
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #48

...add the following to your other hints:

5) use of English is limited, grammar isn't correct.
6) this is a Generic response that is used on most anything sold on CL, because it makes no reference to what you're selling; just refers to the item as, "it".

I don't respond to any message that doesn't specifically reference what it is I'm selling. Do not "play" with them, either. All it does is verify that your e-mail address is a live one, and they sell those to other scammers.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #49

I had a pickup traile on CL and a guy from way out of state contacted me. Wanted to pay more than I was asking to hold it and someone would pick it up. I told them they person picking it up can give me cash when they come get it.

Another good one is the email that said they are interested but to call them and the only way to get ahold of them is their work number. I email back with my number they never call.

This is one I got the other day.

Hello this is Valerie Watts, I saw your Equipment for sale on Craigslist, I would like to talk to you about it. The best way to reach me is at work , That number is (800) 546-8456 Ext. 224 or Just ask for Valerie.
1975 Doonan pup

I emailed back they never called. I dindt call them either Ive done this before. They want to sell it for me. For a ton of commission.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post

Another good one is the email that said they are interested but to call them and the only way to get ahold of them is their work number. I email back with my number they never call.

I emailed back they never called. I dindt call them either Ive done this before. They want to sell it for me. For a ton of commission.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Hasn't happened to me, but some phone numbers connect to some sort of private phone system that bills their calls at outrageous amounts, so you call them back and then get a phone bill reflecting a ton of money for the call.

Phone experts will hopefully chime in on this, and why our local phone companies can't erase the bill just as CC companies can.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
we have bought many things from cragislist in us. from east and west
coast. and we live over seas. some i had a friend that would go look
some i trusted and paid to ship others i paid and had picked up .but
i call to get more imfo ask for more pics ect. some paid with paypal
some bank checks but i do tell them i am not from the us and explain
that dhl or others will take 10 days to get to them .and when check
clears to contact us to have picked up. so far all has been good
two motorhomes toad golfcart scoter and more
my point is not every one from outside the usa is bad
who knows you may lose a sale to me one day keep a open mind
we have been screwed on e bay a few times. cragislist all great
thanks
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #52

Beware of title washing when buying used.
I almost bought a new toad today until I Googled the VIN and found it was a salvage title with major frontend damage late last year but the title in hand was branded as clean.
There's no federal regulation for states and it will be fixed in one and titled new in another.
Also, from the second owner, a picture copy of a CarFax report from before it was damaged, upon closer inspection showed the date printed was covered in whiteout.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #53

I have both bought and sold on CL. Bought my 5th wheel off CL and it was only about 50 miles away. I know a scam when they try it. they've sent me really good looking cashiers checks only to omit putting an account number or routing number on it. They waste several dollars sending them overnight or first class. I think it's kind of amusing that they are so stupid. I'll usually google the bank or business the check may be written on and give them a call and talk to their fraud dept. and let them know what's going on. But I haven't been burned yet. But, likes already been said, the improper grammar, broken English, job, schedule etc. is usually a dead give away.
rv9apilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #54

No question there are scammers on there. It seems they are always widows who need the money etc etc.

Many honest people also though. I bought an older 32' MH from a dealer on craiglist sight unseen. When i got there it was better then he discribed. In addition he did a lot of work on it before I arrived. Well satisfied
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
No question there are scammers on there. It seems they are always widows who need the money etc etc.

Many honest people also though. I bought an older 32' MH from a dealer on craiglist sight unseen. When i got there it was better then he discribed. In addition he did a lot of work on it before I arrived. Well satisfied
With dealers catching all the flack we throw at them, it would be a service to name the dealer you bought from.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #56

OK the outfit is Five Star in Hudson Fl. Try them out
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote