Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Bicycling

Which forum has info on bicycling?
My irv2 search button never gives me what i am looking for. Maybe my fault. Just want to ask what is the best all around bike for rving? I do not ride bikes on highways or in the mountains or desert. Just ride in county parks and state park trails. Never been to west coast national parks but will go there in the future. I see big tires and bigger tires on bikes at walmart but looks like they will not last long. We bought 2 bikes a long time ago for 250 dollars each but they have 10 gears and i kind of want a single gear since i am too old to go real fast any more. I see people flying down the highway on skinny tires, not for me. Dont need a beach cruiser but something that will go through dirt and rocks and on pavement too. Looked at CW folding bikes but not what i would take on a trail in the woods to a waterfall.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Kim,

Not sure what the answer is for you, but looking forward to it. I just use a Schwinn 3 speed with medium tire width that I bought at Walmart years ago for about $90. It's older but it works and like you not interested in more than just riding where I can safely go and get some exercise.

I will be watching to see how people respond. Good Luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As a long time cyclist - my recommendation would be to visit a reputable bike shop and discuss your needs/wants with them. They're typically experienced cyclists and have lots of product knowledge.

While I certainly understand "too old to go fast" sentiment (I'm there myself!) - I wouldn't give up having multiple gears on my bike for love nor money. My gears are there so I can go fast - they're there to help make pedaling up hills and/or into a stiff breeze eazy! You may want to rethink the desire to have just a single speed.

A reputable bike shop will help you find the bike that's right for you - and will ensure it's properly assembled and fit to you (... fit is extremely important if you want to enjoy your bike!)
Old 07-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #4

Go to real bike shops. Tell them what you want to do and they will have several bikes to look at in the right size for your body.

Gears aren't so much to go fast as to make peddling easier on hills. Enjoy the ride
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We weren't sure either, had touring bikes and mountain bikes but couldn't bring them all.

We settled for Schwinn hybrid bikes we found at Sams, but they are also at Target/Walmart. 21 sp, tires are in between a touring bike and mountain bike and have a little bit of a dirt tread, front suspension, mountain bike type handlebars and good brakes. They were $229 each so I won't have a heart attack if they get stolen.

http://www.target.com/p/schwinn-mens...n/-/A-15287650
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

You might want to look into hybrid bikes - a cross between the skinny tires and fat tire cruisers. They allow you to sit up straighter so they're more comfortable if you have back issues. For off pavement I'd highly recommend some gears. As stated, gears aren't for going faster, they are for going easier. Even a slight uphill will be much easier for you with gears. If going on rocky trails be sure to carry tools to fix tire punctures. I'd also recommend going to a bike shop rather than deciding from a big box store such as WalMart. A bike store will fit the bike to you. Many will also give you free tune-ups. Good luck...sounds like fun for you!

Also....I agree with you on the 'search' feature on forums.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #7

My wife and I got tired of trying to ride around parks on road bikes, so we went to a local bike store and told them what we wanted. The guy there said I have just the bike, I call it our national parks bike. They are a little pricey but we have been on horse trails @ Homolovi SP,roads to the beach at Elephant Butte SP and just rode around town roads along the way. Much nicer that the road bikes for comfort and slow speeds. Here is a link to the bikes we bought. Like the previous posts, the shop will get you the right sized bike and fit you to it.

Happy riding

https://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/...te-disc/106440
https://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/...te-disc/106444
Old 07-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #8

Some dedicated bike shops will take time fitting you to a bike suitable for your needs but others just want to move product out the door. So be as wary of bike shops as of any other business.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

We're on our second set of folding bikes. First set lasted over 8yrs. They stand up in basement of our dp and stay clean. Maintance is much better also. The ones we have now have six speeds and no problems. Had the awkward twist /grip gear changed to thumb lever like our old ones, much better. These work well for us and like the gears. We've road them 8miles on bike paths to town and back 8miles.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hybrid type is likely what you want to look for.
That said, we have a pair of schwinn bicycles that kind of look like beach cruisers - but have medium sized tires and seven gears. Also a rack on the back that combined with a box and a couple bungee cords is handy for light grocery runs and the like.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:06 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Looks like I will be going to a bike shop soon. I really dont know what bike trails are like out west in NPs and places like Arizona.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
Looks like I will be going to a bike shop soon. I really dont know what bike trails are like out west in NPs and places like Arizona.

Go to TrailLink and search. Bike, Walking, Hiking, Running, Snowmobile Trails and Trail Maps | TrailLink
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The bike trails out west and in the national parks reflect the terrain they are set in hills, paved, not paved, beach paved or sand. We have two sets of bikes. One set are crossbones, between mountain and street and ride seated more upright, with 21 speeds and soft bigger seats. Then this last year we picked up a pair off electric cross bikes, we have the choice with them of either peddling or assist or just turn the throttle and go. Like said go to a bike shop that carries several brands and try them out, nothing like a test drive. For cost we paid around $600 each for the cross bikes and over a $1000 for the electrics. We are just under 70 years old so we are on the down hill grade and that has nothing to do with riding the bikes but now can still do 12-15 mile rides on the cross bikes and more than this old butt can take on the electrics.

LEN
Old 07-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #14

Keep in mind that most national parks won't let you ride on hiking trails. Some might have specific bike trails created alongside the roads to keep bikes out of the traffic. Otherwise you would ride the roads of the national parks or transport your bike to a gravel road in the park or a trail out of the park.

States parks may be different.

For Arizona, if you get to the greater Phoenix area, there are some wonderful Maricopa County parks with terrific campgrounds - big sites and most have water/electric and a dump station. McDowell Mountain Park is such a park with many nice bike trails within the park.

Typically, Arizona's trails are gravel with some larger rocks dispersed. They will have curves and dips.

For traveling, check online for various official bike trail web sites. Rails To Trails is one. Biking is very popular so you won't be without a place to ride although you might have to have a way of transporting your bike to a trail.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote