Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Big Time RV and Going RV TV shows

I wonder how many people on here who watch these shows. I notice that, on every show they have a quick clip of them after buying their RV. In all of these clips the people love their choice and their RV. No one has a problem or bad experience. My DW always wonders how these people feel 6 months, 1 year, 2 years down the road.
I thought this might be a good subject for the people who are interested in buying an RV for the first time to read about. Who better to ask then the people who have been there done that.
Not opinions about brands or types, but more about, would you do it again? Was it worth the money you have spent? What would you have done differently? Any regrets?
Cedarmancity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

We watch and enjoy these shows, but take everything with a grain of salt. It has never been discussed how much of a discount the buyers would get. It is most likely very scripted as I tell my wife about the reality shows she loves to watch.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

I watch the tv show and I think it is just a TV show, they have completed their shopping and made a decision before the camera starts.
I think about motorhome that we have purchased, I looked at many different motorhome at different dealers and RV shows.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
WDW

The begging questions is how much manufacturers paid to have their models be the solution to the perspective buyers.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

I watch it but feel it's just as much to advertise the dealer as show the RV.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
There are no retirement age customers on the shows. They are purely rv commercials aimed at younger buyers. We boomers are dying off and will become a much smaller share of the rv sales made. Every time I hear a salesman quote the list price, I scream at the tv customer " 30% off list you idiot ". Speaking of idiots.... They call their RV salesmen experts. At what? And that guy with the Black dyed hair piece....REALLY? I would love to spend a day there, asking real questions, just to hear the answers the salesman comes up with.....Security !!!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:33 AM   #7

I look at those shows as Infomercials for Lazy Days. And my guess is they are completely fake. I seriously doubt the actors in the shows have bought anything. I've looked up some of the people on the shows, found their Facebook pages, and have found no mention of a new RV in their lives. That seems really strange to me not to let their friends/family know about a major addition in their lives. Yeah, it's all a fake infomercial sold as real life.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I watch the shows but wish it wasn't non stop buying RV's but actually after the sale experiences and I'm talking about showing people what RV'ing is about, not details about problems with their purchase. People are only seeing the "car buying" aspect which no one likes to do. How about shows/episodes of RV'ers out RV'ing?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

I love watching them as well as the house hunting/renovating shows. They are scripted as well. I know that the house hunting shows are scripted and the house they're buying (if in fact they are really buying) happens before they shoot the show. So, I'm sure the RV shows are the same.

I also think when they say the RV list price is "out of their budget" that they can bring it into their budget by a 25-30% discount. They always act like the list price is the price they'll have to pay. They usually tell what they paid, and sometimes it's within reason of the discount and sometimes not. What I notice is that they might be a family of 4 who'll be fulltiming, and there's no mention at all of CCC.

Just saw Neal's post as I was posting mine. I think that's a great idea.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I saw one show of a young couple who bought a class C that looked a little "different" than most class C. What struck me was I actually followed these two on their YouTube blog. This was NOT the same RV they currently had. I looked back at all their videos and the one I was following was their third RV. I have since quit following them as they've went from RV to a large boat. On the show and on their YouTubes, they did present well. So, yea, those shows are more like infomercials.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Storage wars is funny but total fake .... Yep this here storage shed is worth 20,000$ and I gots it for 20 bucks ....
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
I love watching them as well as the house hunting/renovating shows. They are scripted as well. I know that the house hunting shows are scripted and the house they're buying (if in fact they are really buying) happens before they shoot the show. So, I'm sure the RV shows are the same.

I also think when they say the RV list price is "out of their budget" that they can bring it into their budget by a 25-30% discount. They always act like the list price is the price they'll have to pay. They usually tell what they paid, and sometimes it's within reason of the discount and sometimes not. What I notice is that they might be a family of 4 who'll be fulltiming, and there's no mention at all of CCC.

Just saw Neal's post as I was posting mine. I think that's a great idea.
What is CCC? Chocolate chip cookies?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #13

Use to watch Grease Monkey Garage till I stopped in one day and saw all the SOLD vehicles sitting there in a fenced in lot.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #14

I talked to the producers of Going RV and you are correct that the show is at least partially scripted. They wanted someon who had already purchased an RV. I asked them if this was promotional for the dealer, assuming the dealer was absorbing some of the cost, and I never got an answer to that question.