Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Birmingham Campgrounds

Does anyone know of good campgrounds in Birmingham? Iím not seeing many options. Thereís the Birmingham South RV Park, Oak State Mountain Park. I generally like staying at state parks due to the space between sites and greenery. However, looks like that might not be the case at Oak Mountain. We be traveling that way in the summer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

I lived in Birmingham for about 5 years back in the late 80's / early 90's, while living there we would often take day trips to Oak Mountain State park on the weekends, hike back to Peavine falls (65 ft waterfall), short hike to the upper side of the falls, somewhat adventuresome climb down the lower part (and that was 35 years ago), if I recall correctly there was also a longer trail that lead to the base of the falls without the climb. I can't comment about the RV campground there though, as we did not have an RV at the time. I do think there is an RV park at the exit off I-65 in Pelham (10-15 miles south of Birmingham) near Oak Mountain state park. Of course a lot could have changed in the last 20+ years since the last time I was in Birmingham, a lot had changed even then from when I lived there 10 years before. As a general rule in Birmingham the nicer part of town is the south side, south of Red Mountain, and not in Birmingham proper. Also from what I have seen online there is a MAJOR construction project going on rebuilding I-20 in the downtown area.

p.s. as I recall it is a fairly long slow drive from the interstate exit to get back into Oak Mountain state park to where the campground is located (low speed limit)
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I lived in Birmingham for about 5 years back in the late 80's / early 90's, while living there we would often take day trips to Oak Mountain State park on the weekends, hike back to Peavine falls (65 ft waterfall), short hike to the upper side of the falls, somewhat adventuresome climb down the lower part (and that was 35 years ago), if I recall correctly there was also a longer trail that lead to the base of the falls without the climb. I can't comment about the RV campground there though, as we did not have an RV at the time. I do think there is an RV park at the exit off I-65 in Pelham (10-15 miles south of Birmingham) near Oak Mountain state park. Of course a lot could have changed in the last 20+ years since the last time I was in Birmingham, a lot had changed even then from when I lived there 10 years before. As a general rule in Birmingham the nicer part of town is the south side, south of Red Mountain, and not in Birmingham proper. Also from what I have seen online there is a MAJOR construction project going on rebuilding I-20 in the downtown area.

p.s. as I recall it is a fairly long slow drive from the interstate exit to get back into Oak Mountain state park to where the campground is located (low speed limit)

Thanks Issac! Appreciate the intel.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #4

Not real close to Birmingham but we've stayed at Wind Creek State Park which was very nice. You could try someplace new!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #5

We stayed at Birmingham South about 2 years ago. The park appears to be an old KOA it was nice and clean and close to I-65.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:19 PM   #6

Just curios, why Birmingham, is this just an overnight stop, or are you spending some time there. Don't get me wrong I like Birmingham, enjoyed living there, but there are not that many general attractions, and people from Birmingham would typically travel to either Atlanta or Nashville to go to a city on weekend trips, etc.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:43 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Just curios, why Birmingham, is this just an overnight stop, or are you spending some time there. Don't get me wrong I like Birmingham, enjoyed living there, but there are not that many general attractions, and people from Birmingham would typically travel to either Atlanta or Nashville to go to a city on weekend trips, etc.

I have family there. Will likely spend time in the Gulf Shores and then head back toward Birmingham. Also this would be later this summer.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:25 AM   #8

In 1999, I transferred to Birmingham. I stayed in Oak Mountain SP for 2 months, October and November. If I remember correctly, there was a weekly rate. Had full hook ups. I liked the drive in and out if the park. Early morning I would see many deer. Late afternoon, wild turkeys. The campground was quiet and wasnít packed full. With current RV sales that may have changed.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
In 1999, I transferred to Birmingham. I stayed in Oak Mountain SP for 2 months, October and November. If I remember correctly, there was a weekly rate. Had full hook ups. I liked the drive in and out if the park. Early morning I would see many deer. Late afternoon, wild turkeys. The campground was quiet and wasnít packed full. With current RV sales that may have changed.

Thanks! Appreciate the info.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We stayed at Oak Mountain in March of last year for 2 nights. If wife and I remember correctly this was a very nice campground. We'd stay there again.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #11

We stayed a couple nights in Birmingham earlier this month (we have some rentals in Bham). We used RV Trip Wizard to find parks on our trip. As you found, options, both state parks and private, are limited. We wanted to stay in Oak Mtn but it was booked. We ended staying at Carson Village. Owners were nice. The park is predominantly long term tenants & transient work crews. Canít say for sure but I think we were the only RVíers there at the time. No amenities other than your hookups. Weíd look elsewhere if possible but would stay there again in a pinch.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #12
jrs

If your family lives on the east side of Birmingham, we just stayed at Logan Landing RV and Campground Resort in Alpine last week. Ok place and worth a consideration. Fishing and nice trails to also utilize.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:48 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we need to stay in Birmingham for just a night or so we stay at the Hoover Met RV Park. It's part of the Hoover Met Sports Complex. It's a gigantic paved parking lot with all full-hookup sites. We go to Birmingham for medical visits, and the park is very convenient for us!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and booked Oak Mountain State Park.

Tags
campground