Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2022, 08:49 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush-Overfill Results?

Got distracted and overfilled black tank with flush hose then water ran from underbelly. Toilet bowl was to the top but not overflowing. No water on bathroom floor. What damage was done? Can't tell until bottom panels are removed. Has tank ruptured, fitting broke or something else?

Your advice appreciated,
Russ
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 09:20 PM   #2

The tank is vented through the roof. I don't think it would rupture the tank. There is an airgap on the flush line. If yours is outside the living area maybe it is what leaked or it's in a bathroom cabinet and the water ran down the piping holes.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got distracted and over filled my black tank and it ruptured the seam on the tank before it came out the roof vent. Solution was to replace the black tank.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:07 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Rule Number One when flushing black tank is to stay with it. If you can't, set a timer on your phone to remind you it's getting full.
Later..
Ray
RayandWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:46 AM   #5

Several things can happen when overfilling black, grey, fresh water tanks in an RV
*can sag the tank
*cause it to fall out of RV....weak tank supports by mfg
*split a seam...big leak
*push the inlet drain pipes/vent pipe out of the fittings on top of tank...big leak (many use a 'grommet' type fitting for flexing)
*push water past toilet bowl seal...overflow inside RV
*push water past toilet floor flange....LEAK
*force water out of the Anti-Siphon Vacuum Breaker And flood inside of RV
*Push water up and out vent pipe and spew like Moby's Dick

***Waste water...black/grey leaking into underbelly BAD
Wet insulation, dirty bacteria laden water, mold/mildew
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:51 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I got distracted and over filled my black tank and it ruptured the seam on the tank before it came out the roof vent. Solution was to replace the black tank.

Ken
Eeek - in my rig that would be a nightmare... I think they put the tanks in on top of the frame before the floors were installed. I am doubtful one could successfully replace without MAJOR surgery.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Good info from Old Bisquit (as usual). In my experience the most likely of his scenarios is #4 (push out around the top fitting) and #7 (exit thru the anti-siphon). Either of those can be a nuisance leak or a disaster, depending on the amount of water and where it escapes too.

The water (which is black tank stuff) that leaks out around the top grommet or caulked fitting runs over the tank and down. What that harms depends on where the tank is and what's in the way. If you are lucky, only the underbody covering is dirty and you can usually vent it by cutting slits or making a flap (3-sided cut) to help clean it out and dry it.

If the anti-siphon water can drain away easily, it may dry out by itself and not be too much trouble. It's clean water. If it soaks the interior wall and floor, mold and/or rot are possible issues and it may not become apparent right away.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:12 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintnut View Post
Got distracted and overfilled black tank with flush hose then water ran from underbelly. Toilet bowl was to the top but not overflowing. No water on bathroom floor. What damage was done? Can't tell until bottom panels are removed. Has tank ruptured, fitting broke or something else?

Your advice appreciated,
Russ
Before you tear apart any bottom panels, try and access the tanks through a body panel or bay door. My guess.....you blew water past the vent pipe or blew the vent pipe off. Typically, if you can see the top of the tanks, you can see that vent pipe and see if its been dislodged.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:15 PM   #9

Too late to read the instructions. The black water drain valve is supposed to be open when using the tank flush.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #10

Tough lesson if things don’t simply dry out.

But hopefully, someone else will learn from your miscue. Don’t be to hard on yourself. Stuff happens.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:12 AM   #11

Yep. Spray tubes don't do much good under water.if you just want 5 gallons fill should only need a few minutes. We all have moments of oops did I dooo thaaat.
The vent tube grommet might just be not water tight anymore especially tank maybe swelled at over full.
I'd suggest a snake camera to inspect top of tank. Sometimes you have to recreate to see what happens , best not to in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
Too late to read the instructions. The black water drain valve is supposed to be open when using the tank flush.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:08 AM   #12

I have seen several threads on here telling of problems caused using the black tank flush set up. Guess I sound like a broken record but I've been RVing for over 40 years and have never used a black tank flush on any of the RVs I've owned. Never a problem with sensors or a stoppage.

Ymmv but imo, using one is a waste of time, isn't worth the trouble, and if you're at a busy dump station, causes an unnecessary delay for everyone behind you.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'll sort-of agree with Mudfrog. This black tank rinse thing has taken on ritual status,, far out of proportion to its value. It's a useful tool, but hardly the necessity the OMG brigade makes it out to be. Some owners rinse religiously and still have problems. Other seldom or never and rarely have tank problems. And "Aw crap!" moments such as the one in this thread are not exactly rare.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
THIS.

Tags
black tank, tank