Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #29

OP: When you get it out of storage make note if the smell is there before turning the key or does it appear when you start driving. Are ceiling vents open or closed?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 06:06 PM   #30

It most likely is the backflush valve , usually under the sink. When you backflush they seal, they are an air break so black water cannot go back into the city water system. Mine had a hair in it and that's all it took. The hair came from me using a garden hose I used for grey water to backflush with. New valve 60.00 new hose, new valve went bad in a few months, smell was back. Replaced it with a made up pvc 90 and no more problems. Put a shut off valve at the flush hookup and open it and close it under full water pressure if you flush with any potable water source.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220521_180744.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	366187  
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:47 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's probably your air vents

Four things come to mind.

First, fill your blank tank 1/2 to 3/4 full. Open your campsite water valve and gate valve for your black hose outlet and let it run until you see clean water coming out, then keep it running for another half hour. Do this every time you dump. The object is to see an empty reading on your level monitor along with no smell. Sometimes I empty my tank and the monitor says as high as 36 percent even though it's empty. Two or three extended rinses bring it back to zero.

Second, when you are parked for a week or more put some Rid-X into your tank. Repeat at your next stop. It will eat away at the solids and clumps in your black tank given enough time.

Third, identify where in your RV the smell is coming from. You have more than one bathroom and other cabinets with PVC plumbing inside. Most or all of them will have an air vent mounted at the highest point in the plumbing. Remove the vents and install a Studor brand air vents in their place. Make sure they are mounted at the high point in the cabinet. There should be vents in each bathroom cabinet, the laundry area if you have one, and under the kitchen cabinet. All have air vents. The smell will be coming from one of these. When they no longer fully open or close the stinky air can escape from your tanks into your coach. Several years ago I had a minor odor in my mid bath and it was caused by the cheap air vents installed at the factory. After all of the vents in my coach the problem never returned. This likely is your problem and it's probably the vent closest to your black tank.

Fourth, don't forget to drop a treatment pack into your black tank after you have drained it. It won't hurt to drop two in if needed. I use TST packets but all of them are probably just as effective.

Studor vents come in different shapes and sizes so measure before you travel to Home Depot.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:15 PM   #32

turbo vent cap

Had similar issues. Installed a turbo vent cap and problem went away.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/collectio...-plumbing-vent
Rogan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:15 PM   #33

I'm probably a bit late on this but just saw it. We've experienced similar issues and did all that you stated. It was recommended we get the CLEAR part that goes from sewer hose to dump so we could visually observe the water was CLEAR. The first time we did this, it took 4 3/4 fills and then dump before it was clear. Then I stopped using a lot of the commercial products and went to a solution of 1 cup Calgon Bath Oil Beads, 40 oz. bottle Pine Sol in a gallon jug, filling the rest of the gallon with water. Be careful because it suds up BAD so, carefully, turn the gallon jug around a few times and put 1 cup in the now-closed black tank. Dump every 2-3 days if possible and can add a cup each day if needed. One thing it does is help to keep the sides of the tank slippery so solids don't stick. Now, this may not be for everyone but since we started, have not had any serious odor problems. We put about 10,000 miles on ours a year including living in it several months in the winter. Hope this helps. I find this info several years ago on a site where a fellow actually cleans out and repairs black tanks!
DJsAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:34 PM   #34

We full-timed 16 years and never used an additive. Dumped when full. Never any smells.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:48 PM   #35

Domestic Toilet

We had an ongoing odor in our 2020 FR3 32DS Dometic 300 toilet. Couldn’t find the cause. Called Dometic and were told they had a non advertised recall on the 300. They said they would replace the toilet for free and we could make arrangements to have it replaced locally. Problem was we received little to no assistance from the local RV center and they wanted to charge us to make the change. So, we upgraded to the 310, for $75.00, porcelain toilet, and will install it ourselves rather than pay the charge for installation to the center. Worth looking into.
nancyinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:01 PM   #36

It’s time to have the black and grey tanks professionally cleaned
Jlo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelong View Post
We bought our Class C in December of 2020 and take it out about once a month all year long (we live in Texas). However, we are having issues with our black tank odor. We use Happy Camper, LOTS of water, and flush the tank 3-4 times every time we dump, then load it back up with water and Happy Camper. When we pick it up from storage, it's fine. After one day of use, it smells like an outhouse - no matter what we do. We've checked the vent, by sending water from the roof, and it lands in the tank with no visible leaks. I'm at a loss as to the problem, and we are taking a three week trip in July. I can't live with an outhouse smell for 3 weeks.
Any suggestions about what I could be missing? Or another way to check the vent? I'm afraid that it is venting into the bathroom, but I thought our trouble-shooting measure proved the vent was functional. Help and advice would be so welcomed.
It’s time to have the black and grey tanks professionally cleaned
Old 05-22-2022, 05:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelong View Post
We bought our Class C in December of 2020 and take it out about once a month all year long (we live in Texas). However, we are having issues with our black tank odor. We use Happy Camper, LOTS of water, and flush the tank 3-4 times every time we dump, then load it back up with water and Happy Camper. When we pick it up from storage, it's fine. After one day of use, it smells like an outhouse - no matter what we do. We've checked the vent, by sending water from the roof, and it lands in the tank with no visible leaks. I'm at a loss as to the problem, and we are taking a three week trip in July. I can't live with an outhouse smell for 3 weeks.
Any suggestions about what I could be missing? Or another way to check the vent? I'm afraid that it is venting into the bathroom, but I thought our trouble-shooting measure proved the vent was functional. Help and advice would be so welcomed.
Time to have black & gray tanks professionally cleaned
Old 05-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Professionally cleaned tanks!!?? Do it yourself, it's simple.
Go to your local hardware store or rural grocery store and buy a package of "Septobac" or some other septic tank treatment. Fill the tank with water, add the septic tank treatment, let it sit for a week or more (the longer the better) and after you drain it, if you can see directly down your toilet into the black tank with a flashlight the reflection from the sparkling clean tank will shock you. It did for me when I used that to clear up a partially plugged black tank.
The septic tank treatment releases millions of "Professional" microscopic bacteria that consume all of the things that you put into your black tank and the beauty of it all is that once you buy the treatment, the bacteria work for FREE!
Old 05-22-2022, 06:00 PM   #40

No fan while pooping

Do not have bath fine ON While you are using and flushing the stool. Turn it on, after flushing. Otherwise it will pull odors up when flush valve is opened. EASY PEEZY FIX 😁👍
Gforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:07 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Believe it or not most every tank smell we had was from the grey water tank not the black water tank. Not saying this is your issue but worth a check. I use Tank Blaster in our grey water tank.
Best of luck
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan72 View Post
Had similar issues. Installed a turbo vent cap and problem went away.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/collectio...-plumbing-vent
me x2
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, odor, tank