Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

Black Tank questions

Hello. If this dplicated please tell me how tp delete. Im new here. Ty... Ok... Am a new fulltime RV'r and have some questions about the BT... 1) It doesnt show completely EMPTY on the gauge which i believe works. The BOWL seems empty but cant see whats going on on the bottom part of tank... My concern is WATER LEVEL from what ive read... I flush n flush and pour more water down but still not empty... I empty black.close valve.then empty grey tank. But no empty??? 2) dirty toilet smell coming from bathroom exhaust fan. I forgot to turn it off with one flush 😞😞How to fix n get rid of smell in exhaust system? 3) Its a 2003 Coachman (i THINK is a 5th wheel...no motor just a hitch on one). How to flush out black n grey tanks?? Thannnk you. DEE in VA
Dpmoore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

The sensor get crud on them and then don't show the proper levels. You rinse and clean but sometimes you just have to live with it. I installed the Seelevel system on mine. Sensors are mounted on the outside of the tank. Very easy to install.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Black water tank guage

My tank was showing 1/2 full when empty. I bought a wand that you stick in the toilet and spray all around the tank. My tank now shows empty when it is empty. I don't know about you smell problem. some say us a quart of pine sol in the tank.
Scorpion65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

Make sure you pour water into your BW tank and GW tank after you dump. I have had all sorts of stuff break loose after being sloshed around after another 200 miles down the road.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:59 AM   #5

Ok... Thabks yall! ������ Does anyone know about the flush issiue and toilet smell coming from bathroom exhaust fan when i turn it on?? Ive read something about black tank and exhaust fan connection but not enuf to understand yet... UGH THAT SMELL ������
Old 08-15-2017, 05:10 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmoore1 View Post
Ok... Thabks yall! ������ Does anyone know about the flush issiue and toilet smell coming from bathroom exhaust fan when i turn it on?? Ive read something about black tank and exhaust fan connection but not enuf to understand yet... UGH THAT SMELL ������
Do NOT have the exhaust fan on when you flush the toilet. The connection from the toilet to the holding tank is just a straight pipe. When you open the valve on the toilet to flush, that pipe is wide open and the exhaust fan will pull air out of the black tank into the bathroom.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Dee, do you really mean that the smell comes FROM the fan, or there is a smell when the fan is running?
The fan should be in the ceiling blowing up and out, so no smell should be coming from that (not to mention a fan just shouldn't smell like that).

However if you flush when the fan is running it can draw stinky air up through the toilet into the room (it's pulling air from the vent on the roof, through the black tank, and into the bathroom). So simply turn off the fan before flushing, and make sure that there is water in the bottom of the toilet at all other times - that will create a seal to keep the stinky air down where it belongs.

You could also be smelling the gray tank through the air admittance valve under the sink (gray tanks can smell as bad as the blank tank).
Under the sink you should see a pipe that's the size as the drain coming from the sink, but this pipe goes straight up towards the bottom of the counter.
At the top of the pipe is something that will look like the item in the link below.
If the little rubber flapper inside that has become stuck or warped it will allow stinky air from the gray tank to be drawn in to the bathroom when the fan is running.
Replacing these is cheap and easy (but not necessarily fun).
There is also one of these at the kitchen sink - just FYI.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKSP52...a-305607402370
Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #8

Learned the wrong way not to have the Fantastic fan on maximum and flush the toilet.
Fan pulls in air from windows and black tank.
Won't do that again.

Good idea would be to have a switch that turns off the fan when the toilet lid is up.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #9

Hmmmm. Few things for me to check out! Thank you! And yes the FAN is what smells. But i thnk it had something to do with my mistake of flushing when the fam was on...and it didnt go away yet in 3 days... Made me wonder... Seems i read somewhere about black tank pulling thru something on the roof??? Know anything bout that??? Ty for your information! I will be checking the Sink drain flaps!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmoore1 View Post
Hmmmm. Few things for me to check out! Thank you! And yes the FAN is what smells. But i thnk it had something to do with my mistake of flushing when the fam was on...and it didnt go away yet in 3 days... Made me wonder... Seems i read somewhere about black tank pulling thru something on the roof??? Know anything bout that??? Ty for your information! I will be checking the Sink drain flaps!
Your black tank has a vent that goes out the roof just like your house. When you leave the fan on while flushing it allows the smell to be pulled through the toilet hole. I put one of these pull chains on my fan so we don't have to stand on our tiptoes to operate the fan. Wife loves it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	173160  

Tags
black tank, tank