Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
When toilet 'burps' upon flushing.......time to dump
When sink/shower drains slowly........time to dump
When shower backs up...............should have already dumped
When water pump goes burrrrrrup.....time to refill fresh water tank

Dump waste tanks when full
Volume/weight of liquid will carry solids down and out
After dumping...close drain valves then flush 2 full toilet bowls so black tank stays wet and drain full sink so grey tank stays wet

***NO need to drag a hose into/thru TT

Keep it Simple....
Best advice on in this thread. To many people treat camping like it's a trip to the moon. It is not. Go camping and enjoy. The tanks will let you know when they need emptying. It is all part of the learning curve.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #16

Empty black tank first, then when you empty the grey tank it flushes out the slinky hose.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #17

When it comes to these tanks remember "Water is your friend". After draining the tanks, fill them back up with clean water and then dump them again to be sure anything left behind from the first dumping is flushed out. If you feel you want to do this more than once there is no harm in doing so.
Add a couple gallons of fresh water to each tank and leave it. As you travel down the highway the water will help loosen any solids which may have been left behind and leave them suspended. Use of tank treatments is optional. I prefer to use them myself to keep odors at a minimum.
Never allow your tanks sit for any period of time completely empty. Any solids which may be left in the tanks will become permanent residents. Then the fun really begins to get them evicted.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:03 PM   #18

One other thing for new RVers.. or anyone, for that matter... if you have the time, don't leave early morning when the mad rush to get out happens. Wait until later morning and you won't have a line of RVers behind you at the dump station therefore you won't have any pressure while doing your dumping.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:58 PM   #19

On many RVs the lavatory sink drains into the black tank (to ensure that the black tank gets enough liquids.) Check to see if this is the case and if so then it's very easy to fill the black tank prior to discharge.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
When it comes to these tanks remember "Water is your friend". After draining the tanks, fill them back up with clean water and then dump them again to be sure anything left behind from the first dumping is flushed out. If you feel you want to do this more than once there is no harm in doing so.

Except for the waste of good water

Add a couple gallons of fresh water to each tank and leave it. As you travel down the highway the water will help loosen any solids which may have been left behind and leave them suspended. Use of tank treatments is optional. I prefer to use them myself to keep odors at a minimum.
Never allow your tanks sit for any period of time completely empty. Any solids which may be left in the tanks will become permanent residents. Then the fun really begins to get them evicted.
Adding some water back into the waste tanks will keep tank bottom wet and any stuff left behind
Fill/dump repeat.....why waste all that good water on holding tanks that are just going to get dirty next trip
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:31 AM   #21

If you don't keep an adequate amount of water in the tanks the level sensors will not get cleaned or will dry out with something on them so they don't read correctly.
It's not really like you are wasting water. After all, the water came from somewhere. Out of the ground, lake, river or whatever. When you drain your tanks the water is going into the ground eventually. It will be back someday.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
On many RVs the lavatory sink drains into the black tank
While occasionally true, that isn't common and in 40+ years I have never seen it true in an RV with small tanks. (6 gallon black)
Quote:
If you don't keep an adequate amount of water in the tanks the level sensors will not get cleaned or will dry out with something on them so they don't read correctly.
He doesn't have tank level sensors.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post

He doesn't have tank level sensors.
That was a generalized statement. In his case it can be disregarded
Old 05-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
It's not really like you are wasting water. After all, the water came from somewhere. Out of the ground, lake, river or whatever. When you drain your tanks the water is going into the ground eventually. It will be back someday.
I know I'm in the minority but my experience, of many years, has been that flushing and keeping water in the tanks are not needed. I usually just dump and go. I'll sometimes add a few gallons back into the tank via the stinky slinky and then let it drain a second time but I rarely do that. I have never added water back into the tank after after a dump. Our 18 year old rig has never had a problem with the plumbing or the sensors.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:19 AM   #25

It worked

After too much worry and all the horror stories I heard from Youtube, my black and gray water experience went off without a drop. Flushed smooth as ever and the water and the hose ran clear. My sweetheart video taped me in hopes to catch an experience that would go viral. She was happy and disappointed at the same time. HAHA.
icamp2021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, water