Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #15

Black particles in fresh water system:

Black hose or pipe liner is deteriorating. Many hoses and flexible connecting lines are lined with black rubber.

Black rubber seals are deteriorating.

Iron particles from deep well come out black and turn rusty red (often accompanied by sulfur dioxide smell).

Carbon particles from a carbon water filter filter. You may have an old water filter somewhere that is now breaking down.

Organic stuff growing inside system is breaking down. (This is the only one that bleach will help with.)

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #16

During your cleaning, you need to take the unit out for a spin and let the water and whatever else you are using splash around the inside then drain.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:08 AM   #17

OP, have you considered having the water tested to know for sure?
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...tertesting.pdf

Bleach (chlorine) as sanitizer in city water is somewhere around 50 ppm. Bleach used as a stand-alone sanitizer should be no more than 100 ppm. Anything more causes lingering odors and, as noted, is hard on the system. Test strips are cheap and widely available at WalMart, Home Depot, Amazon, etc. https://www.walmart.com/ip/VersaPro-...rips/170534951
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #18

rough one but in a stick and bricks I had sulphur in the well. Used bleach and a carbon filter that took it out.

I am with the poster that said the black could be carbon particles. Could the old owner have had sulphur water and threw in a carbon filter?

I had the carbon filter on my sticks and bricks do that when I didn't install it correctly.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #19

When the fresh water tank is not completely filled with bleach/water solution the tank cannot be sanitized. It requires direct contact to kill bacteria and virus.

reference: https://www.rvbasics.com/techtips/sa...er-system.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:40 AM   #20

Maybe the OP should back up and try to find the actual source of the black spots.
Using the same hose you are using to fill the tank with run some water into a clean pail and check for black particles. If the water is clear proceed from there.
Drain some water directly from the tank drain into a clean pail and check for black particles. If particles are present, the tank is likely the source. If the water from the tank comes out clean, disconnect the outlet hose from the water pump and with a hose connected to the outlet, pump some water into a clean pail. If there are particles present there is a problem within the pump such as a faulty impeller or check valve etc.
If city water is hooked up to the city water inlet does the water coming out of faucets or into the toilet(s) have particles in it after running a few minutes. There may be some residue left in the plumbing if it came from the tank or the pump. If the water clears up then the particles return after switching back to the tank the plumbing beyond the pump would appear to be alright.
This is no more than a process of elimination.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

If you have a water filter inline, either built in or on the hose, that's a potential source of black flecks (carbon granules) and a badly decomposing filter will indeed turn the water blackish.

The smell is most likely from the heater tank, a microbe that thrives in hot water and excretes a sulfur compound. Sanitizing the entire system, heater tank included, is the way to get rid of it. However, it comes back if the source of the water has the microbes, e.g. a well or contaminated hose.

It's possible you took on water from a sulfur spring - they are common is some regions (central Florida, for one). That can cause odor and discoloration too. Plus it really gums up a water filter. A thorough flush usually gets that out of tank & lines, but toss the filter away. There is no saving that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:10 AM   #22

My motorhome has a 90 gallon fresh water tank. I use 1 tablespoon of pool shock in my tank to sanitize it.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #23
US1

I went to drain the 20 gals of water and bleach and low and behold the mix foamed when drained. Read just yesterday of the no splash bleach doing this. RV is stored at brothers place in country with well water. I did hook up and use the city water connection and bypassed the water tank and WH just to flush out the lines and faucets. No specks and no smell, and no black toilet water. Then I Filled the water tank a little ( 10-15 gals) only to try and flush out the foaming bleach before the foaming gets out of hand. Very little smell and specks. Didn’t do anything with WH. Waiting till I bring the RV home this weekend to do the thorough flush and sanitizing using our city water vs well water. Should note, there was one of those blue water filters in the stash of cleaners the PO left, so I know he’s used them. There is currently no filters in use.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #24

Black water in a toilet can easily be the seals in the toilet breaking down. If it's only black there, then I would start with that.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #25

I was thinking the same thing about the fresh water filter especially new filters. Hook it up to the fresh water hose and run the water prior to connecting to the house. You would be surprised on all the black stuff that comes from the charcoal stuff in the filter. The black tank mixing with the fresh water... in my thoughts, no way. Now it could mix with your grey water if there is a leak or accidentally have a black and grey water valve open at the same time. Touching on placing chlorine in fresh water. Fill at least 1/2 way with fresh water, run until you get the chlorine smell and drive your unit around for a few miles as this will do a slashing motion in your tanks. I have actual filled the black water tank about 1/2 way with water (after its been emptied) and put about 2 or 3 cups of automatic dish washer detergent and drive it around for a few miles. It's so nice to come back to lemon smelling toilet prior to a trip.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Don't forget to check the strainer on the inlet side of your water pump.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If you have a water filter inline, either built in or on the hose, that's a potential source of black flecks (carbon granules) and a badly decomposing filter will indeed turn the water blackish.

The smell is most likely from the heater tank, a microbe that thrives in hot water and excretes a sulfur compound. Sanitizing the entire system, heater tank included, is the way to get rid of it. However, it comes back if the source of the water has the microbes, e.g. a well or contaminated hose.

It's possible you took on water from a sulfur spring - they are common is some regions (central Florida, for one). That can cause odor and discoloration too. Plus it really gums up a water filter. A thorough flush usually gets that out of tank & lines, but toss the filter away. There is no saving that.
Our rig was only a few months old when we encountered sulfur smelling water at a campground. Had a bit of discoloration that went away fairly quickly but that smell was released every time we opened a faucet for a couple of years after. Guess it got into the pex and was slow to dissipate.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
rough one but in a stick and bricks I had sulphur in the well. Used bleach and a carbon filter that took it out.

I am with the poster that said the black could be carbon particles. Could the old owner have had sulphur water and threw in a carbon filter?

I had the carbon filter on my sticks and bricks do that when I didn't install it correctly.
The sulphur smell can be mitigated by putting peroxide directly into the water heater. about a quart of peroxide directly into the relief valve hole, let set 24 hours.
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water