Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Blackstone griddle v. Grill

Right now we're using a small Weber charcoal grill when we go camping, but considering purchasing a Blackstone griddle. Anyone switched from a grill to a Blackstone? Happy with your choice? I'd appreciate thoughts of those who use the griddle instead of a grill.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #2

We have a Blackstone Griddle and its great for what we use it for.
But I will not Griddle Steaks, Hamburgs, Chicken and BBQ, those need charcoal.
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conesus1 View Post
We have a Blackstone Griddle and its great for what we use it for.
But I will not Griddle Steaks, Hamburgs, Chicken and BBQ, those need charcoal.
I Have the 22" Blackstone combo from Wal-Mart that comes with an integrated stand that we use when camping. I find it a fantastic replacement for the grill that we used previously. I have the connector that allows me to use the onboard propane from the coach.

The best steaks I have ever had come off the Blackstone, actually most high end restaurants actually do steaks on a flattop and I just don't use the grill anymore.

But the best part is that it's PERFECT for breakfast, hot dogs, hamburgers and especially Fajitas!!

Here's our set-up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2181.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	274331  
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #4

We just got our Blackstone 22" today. We used to use a Weber Tailgater. It was ok, but cooking a steak on burgers on it was always a mess to cleanup. Decided to go with the Blackstone instead. It is smaller also so that's a plus on the storage capacity. Haven't used it yet but will in March when we hit Corpus for the month.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #5

I am considering getting one to do breakfast in the mornings. Looks like it would be good for pancakes, bacon and eggs. For steaks, burgers and dogs I'll keep my Weber, for which I also have a cast iron griddle.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #6

Switched to a 17in Blackstone 2 years ago. Love it. Every time I make steaks and or burger everyone loves them. Breakfasts is super like previous poster said fajitas etc are fantastic.I bought the 22in combo at Walmart that has the stand with it got mine for the combo for 147.00.
I have a adapter so i can run a hose from the coach quick connect to it for propane
The only thing i would add to my outdoor cooking would be a small portable smoker for some ribs etc but that's only if i can find a spot in the basement storage.

Currently i carry a Camp Chef 2 burner weekender stove that can handle a couple of bigger kettles for steaming lobster clams etc and any smaller kettle. Then the Blackstone

No regrets
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:36 PM   #7

Blackstone

We have both a Blackstone griddle and a Coleman propane grill. I haven't used the Coleman grill since we got the Blackstone and I am thinking of taking it out of the RV completely. The Blackstone is just too easy to clean and put away compared to the Coleman grill.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #8

We have both. A whole collection of cooking appliances actually.

In my opinion each has it’s use, and a grill and griddle are not equivalent. We prefer to cook meats on the grill, mostly. The griddle is great for things I’d otherwise cook in a cast iron skillet.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought both my son-in-laws the 22" for Christmas. They love it. I think you can cook meat on it just as well as a grill. If you get the 22", it has two burners so you can adjust temps on both sides.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Got a Blackstone a little over a year ago and shortly after parted with the grill. Just never used it anymore. Steaks are awesome , always good compliments from quests and the DW Hash browns ,cakes ,eggs ,bacon ,sausage all are great and easy clean up with only only one thing to do it all!
Old 02-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I Have the 22" Blackstone combo from Wal-Mart that comes with an integrated stand that we use when camping. I find it a fantastic replacement for the grill that we used previously. I have the connector that allows me to use the onboard propane from the coach.

The best steaks I have ever had come off the Blackstone, actually most high end restaurants actually do steaks on a flattop and I just don't use the grill anymore.

But the best part is that it's PERFECT for breakfast, hot dogs, hamburgers and especially Fajitas!!

Here's our set-up

X2. Easy to clean, also have the connections to use my RV propane. It's now my primary outdoor cooker home and away.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #12

You can put a griddle/plancha on a grill if you want to cook all or part of a meal on a surface. To me if you're going to cook everything on a flattop you may was well cook indoors.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:16 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Might be slightly off topic, but any time I hear about meat or fish on a grill, I think of two words... Grill Mat. Don't leave home without'em.

This is just a random image, there are a gazillion brands..

Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #14

I just looked the cleaning of the grill and it seems to take a lot of care so it doesn't rust. You also need a good large place to store it & it will be greasy. It's also heavy. It would be ok at home but I'm not sure I'd like to take it in the RV moving from place to place and having to pack it up. Just some things to think about.

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/h...omplete-guide/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote