Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #57

It's been my due to my training (for upteen years in commercial aviation) that I learned that in event of this type of emergency(tire blowout) reacting in the correct/safe manner depends more on anticipation rather than simply quickly getting your brain in gear so as to start figuring out what to do (by that time, it's too late). As pilot in command, I've successfully handled many real-world emergencies. Keep in mind that in commercial aviation, flying high-performance jets, you do recurrent training every 6 months.

BTW I never said that you should depend on the cruise control to save your bacon. AND, I have never depended on the programmed flight management system to save my bacon either. I asked some simple questions, that's all. I mainly was curious as to how much confidence you have with regard to what YOU would do. Thanks
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've just installed a steering control unit ( S-T-S ), hoping to stay safe. After reading all these great posts I will be more vigilant while driving, watching for debris, eating/drinking while driving. I will keep a grip in the wheel.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #59

Blowout close call on I-26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
......depends more on anticipation rather than simply quickly getting your brain in gear so as to start figuring out what to do....
I asked some simple questions, that's all. I mainly was curious as to how much confidence you have with regard to what YOU would do. Thanks

It's no different than dodging road debris. Having done so forever, the reaction is not from a thought process but an automatic reaction. So, I'm confident. This does not mean I always win!
However, for this topoc, I have TPMS to provide early warning and the opportunity to make proper decisions.
I sense that some folks are not so equipped and may be delayed by overthink or doubt.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #60
IC2

There are lots of 'what ifs' and very valid points being discussed in the event of a tire failure. There is not much discussion on the driver's capabilities. Unfortunately, many MH (heck, let's not discriminate with only MHs but include towables as well) drivers/owners have become too infirm to really be behind the wheel of a large, heavy vehicle traveling at near or above the posted speed limit which can be as high as 80 mph. We have done a bunch of traveling over the past few years and have seen and talked with a lot of folks - and quite frankly I am concerned. We have found some that can't construct a coherent conversation. Then there are others that can barely walk --- and they are all behind the wheel, driving. Makes me wonder what, if any, reflex capability they have. I watched that Michelin video - great information, but not real world for the driver who is sitting comfortably in his captain's chair, his vehicle on cruise, comfortable climate temp control on and Sirius tuned to his favorite station. Bang goes that front tire - he is not mentally prepared so nasty things happen with serious consequences - and quite likely a partial reason for the barrel rolling MH.

Then there is the quality of the tires provided on RVs. Our 5er had the infamous China Bombs ST. They were changed to a very good quality LT tire. I have no clue as to what a MH has as OEM, but would bet they are bare minimum for the weight. Of course, tire pressure, age and road debris can becontributing factors and unknowns in the videos attached.

Do the best we can and hope others will as well
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Man that's scary
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #62

When I saw read the topic I thought this might have been about me. I was on I-26 last week and had an emergency stop but I did not go into the median. Instead I pulled over as fast as I could only to find the the shoulder is very narrow and the grass hides a very steep gully. When I stepped out of the MH I fell into a ditch. I did not loose a tire but a truck did and I hit his shredded tread. It severely damaged the exhaust system and the MH had to be towed to a repair facility where it remains to this day. I had to leave it in Columbia SC and drive the toad back to Florida to put up hurricane shutters only to have the hurricane pass me by and hit South Carolina. Now I can't get back because I-26 and I-95 are closed. There is no gas and no hotels available in the hurricane effected areas so all I can do is wonder what awaits me when I finally get back and smell what its like to not empty your black a grey tanks for two weeks.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
That also can be a real problem. Finding a safe place to get off the road when you have an emergency. It is pretty easy to get clipped on the side of the road by a driver not paying attention.

I hope everything turns out ok for you and you get fixed up and on your way.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #64

I26 is notoriously bad for narrow shoulders. I had a blowout on I26 just east of Columbia. The shoulder was very narrow and I had several people in the rv. The outside right rear blew and took out the black tank connection in the wet bay. When I saw fluid coming out of the rv near the fuel fill, I ordered everyone out. We could not get the door open all of the way and ended up stepping out over the guardrail, but got everyone out in a hurry. Since we were towing a trailer, I stepped up on the trailer tongue to look around the back of the rv to see what was going on, and nearly got my head taken off by a semi flying by.

Realized it was black water spilling out, got everyone back on board and limped to a rest area about a mile up the road. When I opened the wet bay door, the rest of the black tank contents came rolling out accompanied by many gagging sounds and a few folks headed for the trees. The wet bay was contained in a molded plastic compartment, so there was still plenty of overflow. I hope to never be in such a situation again.

BTW, a coworker's son was traveling west on I26 just a few minutes after us and told his dad about seeing a rv broke down on the side of the road. Said he just could not figure out the abominable smell they encountered as they passed by.

I feel for you Dennis, and hope it is not too bad.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I totally disagree with the Michelin video. I've had two blow outs, the most recent was a RF tire in May 2015. The last thing I wanted was more speed or more forward thurst. I slowed (did not brake), maintained control and got off the road. I'm sure the MH driver in the video, flying across the median nearly out of control, wanted or needed more speed.

The Michelin video sounds good and looks good, however, all the scenarios are scripted with safety the primary consideration. It's like a lot of "school solutions," every aspect of the demonstration is planned. However, when doing it for real, I doubt it's merit.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #66

IMO There's several points in the Michelin video which are misleading. They imply that the front steer tire blowout produces a side force, and IMO this is what scares many drivers who do not understand what actually happens. There has NOT been any analytical explanation for how in the world a blowout tire can produce a side force. Just saying that it does, is NOT an explanation. The other thing is that they, and many others, make reference to the blowout as causing a "pull" to the side (of the blowout). THIS is NOT what happens. Another thing is that they do NOT explain exactly why they believe it is beneficial to "step on the accelerator". If the driver of the big motorhome is in trouble due to a front tire blowout what would indicate to him that he should step on the accelerator? AND, if he's not in trouble, again WHAT would indicate to him that he should step on the accelerator? IMO all of these instructional videos CLEARLY show that the most important control mechanism is the STEERING WHEEL. So, why do they fail to FIRST emphasize THIS about the steering wheel. And, why don't they explain that allowing the steering wheel to go UNATTENDED for just ONE second will allow the flat tire to cause the motorhome to begin to self steer to the side of the flat tire? Could it be that they don't want to mention what can happen if the driver is frightened and has a momentary brain cramp (brain freeze)?
Old 08-10-2019, 10:01 PM   #67

Wow! This post is 3 years old and has run its course.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:22 AM   #68

Two very important items, TPMS to monitor tire pressure and Safe T Plus steering stabilizer, if you go to their web site they show where they installed on several vehicles and at 70MPH blew the left front tire with a charge and safely pulled the vehicles to the side of the road. After seeing a video of a coach doing a roll I installed one on my 40DP. The additional bonus was the difference in handling, went from two hands on the wheel at all times to easily driving with two fingers and don't know a semi passed me unless I look out the window. Would never be with out one.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #69

Do NOT lose track of the fact that there is NO substitute for a good and responsible DRIVER. The large mtorhome is equipped with a very powerful power steering system that only the driver can totally command to defeat the attempt of the flat tire to STEER the motorhome towards danger.
Granted, we have the technology to offer DRIVERLESS vehicles, but those are not a viable atlternative to a large motorhome.
HOWEVER, we are fortunate to have an in-house expert on this related subject. His name is Ken Sherwin, and you can find him in a "clicky" in the Newmar Owner's Forum. He is a top member of the team who developed the Comfort Drive steering system which is offered, as original equipment on some large motorhomes. As far as I know, this is the only electrical/mechanical system that also commands the powerful power steering of the vehicle. He is the most qualified person that I know of who can answer questions on this subject.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #70

Thor Owners Club
What bothers me is the manufacturers should include these things, steering stabilizers, better sway bar, etc. Yes it will cost more, but I would think less than what the buyer would pay after purchase.

Stepping on the accelerator makes sense. If you've ever gone in to a curve too fast & feel your vehicle getting squirrelly, getting on the brakes doesn't make it better. Just a little additional throttle will give you control.

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote