Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #15

Okay, tire blows at the top going down the road at 65 MPH. .03seconds later it's at the bottom and so on and so forth. Absent a very rare and extremely unusual circumstance, tires do not "blow out" sitting still.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #16

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
We must of used up all the allowed data for the original thread on blowouts, it's Closed.
But I have another question on the subject that wasn't covered.
This information may or may not be available. Where on the tire itself, does the actual blowout occur?, top, bottom, etc. And, in those areas, does the blowout have a different affect say, on the coach.
For instance. If the blowout happens at the bottom of the tire, does any damage happen to the coach other than maybe a quick bump up then of course the handling part afterwards. If it blows at the top, I visualize a lot of damage in the wheel well and possibly beyond. Just asking.
Thank you.

1st I suggest you read THIS post on why tires fail.

Next you need to think about what is happening to a tire while driving. It is rotating at 400 RPM or 6 rev per second so with a failure that takes more than 1/6 of a second there is no "Top" or "bottom".

You first need to remember that Run low flex failures are sidewall failures and can involve 360° of one or both sidewalls. A Belt separation (completely different cause and different structural failure involves the belts and tread. Usually initiating over an area about the size of a tire footprint but sometimes only one shoulder of the tire comes apart but the tire then tears itself apart due to the rotation forces.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #17

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
The "blowout" position is irrelevant, as the sudden loss of air is not what causes the damage to the RV, nor is it from a single blow from loose rubber. It is the rubber that is partially attached spinning around that does the damage. "tderonne" has it right; a 33" diameter tire traveling at 60mph will make just over 10 revolutions per second. So whether it starts in the top position or the bottom position, it has already made a complete revolution within 1/10 second. That also means that the rubber is hammering your rig at 10 times per second. THAT is what does the damage (been there, done that).
^x2
Old 12-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Had a blowout years ago, 31ft class A 19.5 inch tire. Inside dual passenger side.
Zipper failure of sidewall dislodged over half of the tread cap. Flailing tread Beat up wheel well, pushed angle iron frame forward of wheel well into the propane tank, and bent one side panel out about 30 degrees. It set up a tremendous vibration as it rode up on the tread flap with each rotation of the tire. The blast of air is not the destructive force, it's the disintegrating tire.

I was fortunate, as the tire blew I was 40-50 yards from entrance to rest area. No noticeable control problems with rear tire blowout.

Another post here indicted the tread from a blowout completed shredded a major wiring harness running through the driverside wheel well.
see 4x4van said same thing
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #19

Ok Tireman. I clicked and read, and read some more of your posts. You are well qualified my friend. I just learned a lot from you, Thanks. I know exactly what to do now. Appreciate your knowledge.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you want to avoid blowouts, don't push your tires to the last possible mile. I know many are on a budget, but typically, the damage caused by a blowout will exceed the cost of new tires.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When my RF tire blew, it did not come off the rim. However while it was going round and round, it was tearing up the wheel well of the MH. I was lucky in that it pulled out an AC wire (generator was not on), a few 12v lines and a 12v wire bundle. When the tire says, "steel belted radial" they aren't kidding, when I got stopped I could plainly see the steel belts...they caused most of the wheel wheel damage. That's another reason for getting stopped ASAP....but without braking.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, I had a right front blowout that did minimal damage; scratches and black rubber scuffing around the outside of the fender. But I also had an inside dually blowout that flattened the steel gas filter pipe like a pancake, broke holes in the floor (3 layer; bottom plywood, styrofoam core, plywood top), and splintered an interior cabinet wall. This was not from "air"; it was from the loose tread violently beating the underneath side of the MH.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #23

A MH tire blows or shreds or fails somehow. You're out a tire. No big deal. It's the 'consequential damages' that result from the tire failure that cost money, time, and maybe ones health (pray not). If the front wheel wells were built with a 'safety cage', wouldn't that reduce these 'consequential damages?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
A MH tire blows or shreds or fails somehow. You're out a tire. No big deal. It's the 'consequential damages' that result from the tire failure that cost money, time, and maybe ones health (pray not). If the front wheel wells were built with a 'safety cage', wouldn't that reduce these 'consequential damages?
Good point. My blowouts occurred on a class C; the front was the metal wheelwell of the E350 van cab; minimal damage. The rear was not much more than plywood, styrofoam, and thin aluminum...major damage. At the very least, wiring, LPG lines, fuel lines, etc should NOT be routed near/above the tires.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #25

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Had a blowout years ago, 31ft class A 19.5 inch tire. Inside dual passenger side.
Zipper failure of sidewall dislodged over half of the tread cap. Flailing tread Beat up wheel well, pushed angle iron frame forward of wheel well into the propane tank, and bent one side panel out about 30 degrees. It set up a tremendous vibration as it rode up on the tread flap with each rotation of the tire. The blast of air is not the destructive force, it's the disintegrating tire.

I was fortunate, as the tire blew I was 40-50 yards from entrance to rest area. No noticeable control problems with rear tire blowout.

Another post here indicted the tread from a blowout completed shredded a major wiring harness running through the driverside wheel well.
see 4x4van said same thing
"zipper failure" is classic proof that a steel body tire failed due to being run on very low inflation.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #26

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Doubt that people would want to pay a few hundred bucks or give up 3 - 500# of capacity to have a tire "scatter shield" in front wheel wells.
Our tire test machines use 1/4" x2" open steel grating that "contain" most of the rubber and steel shrapnel when a tire lets go. The grating is open so the air pressure can escape and lower the forces.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
"zipper failure" is classic proof that a steel body tire failed due to being run on very low inflation.
My failure was diagonal on the sidewall and into the tread cap which came loose- about a 2 ft section. Michelin covered it as a tire defect. Only 1100 miles.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #28

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
My failure was diagonal on the sidewall and into the tread cap which came loose- about a 2 ft section. Michelin covered it as a tire defect. Only 1100 miles.

OK If not circumferential then not an actual "Zipper" as that term is defined and used to describe Run Low Flex fatigue of steel body cords in Circumferential line.

You simply had a Body cord failure due to MFG Defect.