Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2021, 03:43 PM   #1

Blue Ox Base Plate

I put a new Blue Ox base plate on my 2020 Gladiator about 11 months ago and the powder coat/ paint is peeling completely off. I would understand road chips but this is peeling off on almost the entire baseplate. I contacted Blue Ox customer service and was told this is normal wear and tear and that peeling is not covered by the warranty. The metal underneath look like itís been run through a salt water bath. It has never been on any road with salt. They said I should clean off the rust and paint it myself. In order to paint all the areas that need it I will need to unmount it as the peeling goes all the way to the rear of the baseplate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A5DC6FDB-4EBB-42E4-875A-DADD70C9D79B.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	339790  
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #2

Rattle can and blue tape should do the trick.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Same here

My 1 year old Blue ox baseplate on 2017 Jeep Wrangler did the same. Paint peels off in large pieces. Figured I'd get crap service so I just painted their crappy product. So disappointed and will never buy their brand again.
BMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Same thing on the Jeep...looks like the dickens but it's only surface rust. Those BO baseplates are pretty beefy so I'd just clean up the areas you can get to.

I'm still running the same baseplate on the same Jeep today...They're tough.

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	339802

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #5

Well, I've been using Blue Ox products since year 2001 and that has to be the worse flaking paint job I have ever seen! In my opinion, since the baseplate is only a year old, Blue Ox should repair or replace that base plate. If that is normal for powder coat, then Blue Ox needs to go back to another type of painting system.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTT1953 View Post
I put a new Blue Ox base plate on my 2020 Gladiator about 11 months ago and the powder coat/ paint is peeling completely off. I would understand road chips but this is peeling off on almost the entire baseplate. I contacted Blue Ox customer service and was told this is normal wear and tear and that peeling is not covered by the warranty. The metal underneath look like itís been run through a salt water bath. It has never been on any road with salt. They said I should clean off the rust and paint it myself. In order to paint all the areas that need it I will need to unmount it as the peeling goes all the way to the rear of the baseplate.

I would just leave it on and paint what you can with POR 15. Buy a kit or individual bottles. You need a cleaner, then a prep then paint. It STOPS RUST in its tracks. The black shiny finish is indestructible. Its like a ceramic finish. I used it on the bottom of Jeeps, put on my Blue Ox tow bar, and custom hookup in front of Jeep. Highly recomend.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #7

Blue Ox Base Plate

Had the same issue a few years ago and it looks as if Blue Ox has still not refined their process. The bare metal receives an acid bath which must be washed and dried prior to getting the powder coat. This didnít happen and the metal is rusting under the black coating. If done properly, the coating would be difficult to remove even with sand blasting.

Iím lucky to have a good powder coat house near me and they did a great job of sand blasting / coating for $150 and it looks brand new after about 2 1/2 years.

Hereís my 2018 JLUR before doing the powder coat.

Name:	IMG_1249.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	339812
Old 08-17-2021, 02:23 AM   #8

I would rather see these and hitches just painted with a Rustoleum direct over metal paint. Once it starts to peel stuff rusts twice as bad under as if was bare metal.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Same thing on the Jeep...looks like the dickens but it's only surface rust. Those BO baseplates are pretty beefy so I'd just clean up the areas you can get to.

I'm still running the same baseplate on the same Jeep today...They're tough.

Attachment 339802
That's cute how both your RV and Jeep sleep on their sides together.

Tags
blue ox