RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #1

Blue Ox system - Total Costs?

I have a Blue Ox towing system that includes braking on my Chevy Spark. I'm selling the RV with the tow car and want to know how much the total purchase and installation would be for the towing/brake system. I want to be truthful in my advertising.
DBAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #2

Different authorized retailers have different rates. I paid $3,000 for new Blue Ox Avail, all accessories, baseplate, and M&G engineering air braking system.

That was installed price and all taxes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
NXR

Unfortunately there's not enough information here. Please list the make, model, and age of the tow bar, the braking system, the baseplate, and the tail light system.

Ray
Old 11-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #4

I'm at about the same price as Ray. I have the Avail towbar, Patriot II braking system, and baseplate, professionally installed. Three grand would be an honest estimate on your part, assuming similar quality parts.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Unfortunately there's not enough information here. Please list the make, model, and age of the tow bar, the braking system, the baseplate, and the tail light system.

Ray
What tail light system? All the same lights are used that are OEM on the truck.
If you want actual used prices begin an internet search. My tow bar system was bought in 2017 when I bought the truck. The $3K included labor and taxes I have no ideal of individual components.
I will say you will not recover 1/2 the cost of a new tow bar because buying a used tow bar is too risky, you don't know its actual history.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What tail light system? All the same lights are used that are OEM on the truck.
If you want actual used prices begin an internet search. My tow bar system was bought in 2017 when I bought the truck. The $3K included labor and taxes I have no ideal of individual components.
I will say you will not recover 1/2 the cost of a new tow bar because buying a used tow bar is too risky, you don't know its actual history.
I got the impression that the OP was selling everything as a total package (rv, car, and tow package) and might be trying to show how much a person would spend if they were starting from scratch. Maybe I read that wrong?
Old 11-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I got the impression that the OP was selling everything as a total package (rv, car, and tow package) and might be trying to show how much a person would spend if they were starting from scratch. Maybe I read that wrong?

That's how I read it as well, hence my question to them. But that is not a valid approach since the equipment is all used, we don't know what it is, nor its age. It may be several years old and approaching Blue Ox's end of life criteria.

Ray
Old 11-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #8

Since we're lacking any detail information, I think the wholesale price of the car and $1000 for the total tow package would be in the ballpark if well maintained. What you're going to get doesn't have anything to do with the original cost.

If you have this now, how much did you pay for it?
Old 11-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

In round numbers, it costs about $3000-$4000 to equip a toad for towing, i.e. base plates, nice tow bar, lighting and brake system. A chunk of that is labor, but that is essentially included when you sell the toad along with the coach. However, the labor cost isn't much of a factor if the buyer is a DIY type. A DIY guy is looking primarily at hardware costs only.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
PKI

When one of the video channels posted their toad setup, the cost was about $4000 and that had just a little bit of discount built in from shopping for the install and gear.

I've been trying to find a reasonably priced toad complete with setup and the cost always sends me back to buying new. Part of that is being picky. Part of it is also the high milage (and hidden milage) that most toads have when they get sold.

Carizona has a variety of vehicles that they setup for toad use. It's not a bad place to compare pricing. They install the BO product, but I do not see info on the braking system.

From a personal opinion - 50% of the cost of the setup is the maximum that I would consider added value. And, I'm not sure the BO gear would be my choice, so I like that $1000 estimate posted above. However, convenience might just push me forward to paying more money. The kicker is that at too high an adder, I would just look at other coaches. Buying used is all about value.

EDIT - yes, the DIY - when I first started looking I expected to pay to play. After seeing some baseplate videos, I'll likely install it myself. Note the BO is harder to install and folks report problems down the road. Started with a like for the product, but have some doubts.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Sold separately, a high end tow bar is worth about $300-$400. Brake system probably about the same. The rest (lights & face plates) are a pot-sweetener but not much cash value. I'd put the whole package at no more than $1000.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Sold separately, a high end tow bar is worth about $300-$400. Brake system probably about the same. The rest (lights & face plates) are a pot-sweetener but not much cash value. I'd put the whole package at no more than $1000.
Gary, the next time I'm shopping for a tow setup, I'm gonna send you a PM.
But I suppose that you are talking "used"?
I just spent 3K setting up my Wrangler and I did the install.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
$4000 new for everything would be a good price. Tow bar, Base plate, Wiring and a Brake controller plus installation is costly.
I would hope this would add a minimum of $1500 to the price.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox