Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffumdano View Post
We actually saw far more motorcycles than autos.
From your observation, I would conclude that the ride along the Blue Ridge Pkwy is better experienced on a motorcycle than a motorhome (or auto).

I have traveled most of that parkway on my 2003 Harley Davidson Road King. It is one of the best biking roads in the country.

I have never traveled the parkway in a motorhome. My experience towing my 27' 6,000 pound travel trailer through the Ouachita Mountains on Arkansas Hwy 7 was enough to make me realize I was concentrating 90% on controlling the rig and 10% enjoying the scenery.

SailorDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #30

I've been known to travel segments of the Blue Ridge Parkway, however I have no intent to run the whole length in any vehicle--much less a Class A.

Take some good road maps with you. When you get tired of the parkway, drop off and either catch the interstate or another good highway that's straighter.

There is a loop southwest of Asheville, NC that went up on top of the mountain--south of Andrews, NC. The sun up at 5:30 a.m. is absolutely breathtaking on that stretch of road.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
This from the guy touting that the person in front will be able to read your front bumper...

You're right, maybe they can't drive or a couple of q-tips out leafing are driving slow. You will get that. But if a deer runs in front of them, you're at fault when you plow into them.

The majority of accidents I see up in the mountains of North GA, Western NC, and Eastern TN are split 50/50 between idiots on motorcycles (mostly Harleys that can't turn) and big rigs (RVS and trucks) that are too big for the conditions.

The signs say slower traffic pull off, cars,rv's, motorcycle doesn't matter I'm just saying don't blame just rv's for slow pokes. If the speed limit says 35 it doesn't mean you should go anywhere between 1 and 35.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #32

SailorDon it would be a beautiful ride on a bike. I'm sure a lot more relaxing than a MH,,,but now I can say I did it!! I went with a friend last summer that shipped his BMW to Germany and we rode for five weeks doing Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Lichtenstein. Riding the Dolomites in Italy was my favorite ride. And of course the Amalfi coast.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438999328.948622.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	102482 We did run onto a few other Americans that shipped bikes or rented them there. Not many Harleys mostly BMW and Ducatis. Just a quick story in case you need something new on your bucket list
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438999025.987727.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	102481
cuffumdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsportys View Post
If I want to come from the Midwest with my Rv and tow dolly and not inconvenience can I parallel the length of the ridgeway. I'm assuming its only 2 lanes. Sounds like a lot of up and down doing it that way...........
I think you will find I-81 parallels most of the parkway. If you play with Google Earth or similar I think you will find some places are very tight and some pretty easy. You might want to either day trip some of the interesting spots or try part with the idea you can bail.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #34

Quote:
SailorDon it would be a beautiful ride on a bike. I'm sure a lot more relaxing than a MH,,,but now I can say I did it!! I went with a friend last summer that shipped his BMW to Germany and we rode for five weeks doing Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Lichtenstein. Riding the Dolomites in Italy was my favorite ride.
It seems like you understand the concept of what makes a road trip enjoyable.

I'm biased. When I go "travel trailer", I stay on major roads. When I go motorcycling, I go on back roads.
There are some places you just can't go with a motorhome.
If your travels take you to Colorado, you might encounter the Old Fall River Rd.

In the case of the travel trailer, just unhitch at the campsite and go for a really nice road trip.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
The signs say slower traffic pull off, cars,rv's, motorcycle doesn't matter I'm just saying don't blame just rv's for slow pokes. If the speed limit says 35 it doesn't mean you should go anywhere between 1 and 35.
The point was that most of our rigs are 40-60' long and have NO BUSINESS on tight mountain roads. Physics apply to all, and you just cannot make all the turns without crossing over a solid line.
As SailorDon just said wrote, go park the rig and then go enjoy the scenic roads.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
The point was that most of our rigs are 40-60' long and have NO BUSINESS on tight mountain roads. Physics apply to all, and you just cannot make all the turns without crossing over a solid line.
As SailorDon just said wrote, go park the rig and then go enjoy the scenic roads.
For example:

This ruins everyone's road trip.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #37

Ouch!! That would take the fun out of it fast!! Our wild daring days are over,,,life's to short not to take it slower and enjoy nowClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439166660.895195.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	102683
Cheers all
cuffumdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
... At the KOA in Front Royal
I believe that's a former KOA in Front Royal, VA. It's now called Front Royal RV Campground. And I agree that it's not that great.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #39

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Another view about rving on the BRP.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Another view about rving on the BRP.
I notice that in the last paragraph, they recommend not RV'ing the BRP on weekends and holidays (times of increased traffic).

I would agree with that 100%
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #41

Is there another route for the less experienced people? We will be driving from St. Louis area to Wilmington, NC. Can someone suggest another route other than 441?

Thanks, Dave
Old 09-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #42

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triatik View Post
Is there another route for the less experienced people? We will be driving from St. Louis area to Wilmington, NC. Can someone suggest another route other than 441?

Thanks, Dave
Just stick to the interstates: I64 east to I75; I75 south to I40; I40 east to Wilmington vicinity. I40 has some twists and turns through the Smokies, but shouldn't be an issue except during winter storms.