Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 06:17 AM   #1

Blue Ridge Parkway Tomorrow?

Good morning everyone! I appreciate all I've learned on this site. We are leaving from Gatlinburg in the morning in our new to us Serrano 31x MH and would appreciate any and all advice. We plan to drive the entire thing. This is our first major trip out so a wee bit nervous!!! Thanks all
cuffumdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You are in for a treat !!!!

The issue is that you really need a driver so you can focus on the surroundings.

Just do not rush take your time and IF you are being pushed by a follower, just wave them by as the sites will have your neck sore from swiveling back and forth !

We were in a jeep 4x4 when we toured and with a gps were brave enough to take side tracks to see wonderful things !
Old 07-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffumdano View Post
Good morning everyone! I appreciate all I've learned on this site. We are leaving from Gatlinburg in the morning in our new to us Serrano 31x MH and would appreciate any and all advice. We plan to drive the entire thing. This is our first major trip out so a wee bit nervous!!! Thanks all

I assume you are taking US441 through the park & over the Mtn to the southern terminus of the parkway. Here is a tunnel height list if you don't have it:

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisi...el-heights.htm

Gatlinburg will be the worst of the traffic. The G'burg bypass is good or if you go through G'burg,turn right on the RiverRd & dodge the worst of the strip.

I saw a 38-40' Allegro RED in the Clingmans Dome parking lot yesterday, so you are not alone. Saw one young black bear very close to Newfound Gap. It's black bear mating season so they are active.

You will have a long moderate grade of 4-6% for a few miles when you first turn onto the parkway. Just relax & enjoy the view. Be sure to stop in the Craggy Gardens area. The clouds blowing through can be really spectacular.

If you have time, take the spur up to the Mt Mitchell area. I think it's about 7 miles. The views are great. There is a little restaurant up there close to the top. Big parking area there and also at the top. Don't turn in at the camping sign. The lot is small and it's tent camping only.

Little Switzerland is fun and the North Carolina Mineral Museum is right next to the parkway. Linville Falls is a short hike. Linville Land Harbor is worth a stop. It's a mixed, high end residential, RV park. Something like the Great Outdoors in Titusville, FL.

Safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

Thank you Steve!! We will definitely check those areas out as we are recently retired and in no hurry😀
We are overall 12' my DH checked the heights and says we are OK,,I'll hold my breath, pray and not look!!
Hope to full time some day if I can convince him this trip of about 6-7 weeks will tell.
Have a most wonderful day!
Safe travels
Old 07-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #5

Thanks John! We both love the mountains. We take turns driving and so far I haven't scared him😎
Excited to see it all!!
Safe travels
Old 07-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #6

Personally, I don't think driving a MH on the Blue Ridge Parkway or 441 over the smokies is appropriate.

On 441 over the Smokies you are going to be a road block to every other car on the road going up, and down. Not to mention going down is not going to be much fun at all. When we were there in early June we were in our Jeep and ended up behind a big tag axel MH and you could smell his brakes for a mile behind, going 25mph and 20+ cars stuck behind it.

On the BRP, the trees overhang the road since there are no trucks to keep them pruned, so expect scratches on your sides and roof. It is also very narrow.

Yes it it legal, but I just don't think it is wise or courteous to do so....... If you do it on either road, watch the parade quickly building behind you and pull over to the lookouts often and let everyone go by (and expect a few "one finger salutes" along the way).
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats on your new coach. We lived in the Roanoke, VA area for 40 yrs and have driven all 479 miles of the BRP. IMO doing it in a motorhome is fun to a point. You will need a lot of patience. The speed limit is 45, slower in many areas. It is a beautiful place with much to see but you will need a lot of time to make it the entire distance to the northern point near Afton. As noted, there are plenty of turnouts and you will need to use them to allow fellow travelers to pass. Unfortunately, many locals along the way use the BRP as a short cut or routine travel route. They get impatient at times with the tourists.

The viaduct around Grandfather Mountain is an engineering feat and a must see. It was 50 years after the parkway was finished before they got that final piece in place.

Most of the campgrounds are smaller since they were designed many years ago. However, you should be able to fit into some of the sites at several of them....Linville, Moses Cone, maybe Peaks of Otter and Otter Creek. The lodge at Peaks of Otter near Bedford, VA is a great stop. Also, if you get that far, consider a day trip into Bedford to visit the wonderful National D-Day Memorial. There are three full hookup RV sites at the Bedford Area Visitor's Center, $25 per night, first come, first served.

There are some nice full hook up RV parks just off the BRP in several areas.....around Asheville, Meadows of Dan, and on the more northern end around Natural Bridge and Luray, VA.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffumdano View Post
Thank you Steve!! We will definitely check those areas out as we are recently retired and in no hurry😀
We are overall 12' my DH checked the heights and says we are OK,,I'll hold my breath, pray and not look!!
Hope to full time some day if I can convince him this trip of about 6-7 weeks will tell.
Have a most wonderful day!
Safe travels

Full timing is a very personal decision. I can only say, that for my wife and I, our 8 years full time has been a blessing. We will continue as long as we are healthy.

Good luck & enjoy your adventure. Let us know how you do and what you see.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
There are several state campgrounds along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. ~9 years ago on a trip back heading west we stopped at one of the campgrounds. After being there a short period of time a small herd of dear (+20) came meandering through the campground.

Also, as you travel west, after you get into Virginal there are a couple wineries that we usually stop at. Here is one we've visited several times, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway but worth the stop.

Chateau Morrisette: Virginia Winery and Restaurant on the Blue Ridge Parkway
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info. We aren't on a time schedule so no worries there. As new RVs if we find it stressing we will get off and head another route on to Maine as that is our eventual destination.
We are always very aware of the stack of cars and try all we
can safely to be courteous to others!
Enjoying the great info!! Blessings
Old 07-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I assume you are taking US441 through the park & over the Mtn to the southern terminus of the parkway. Here is a tunnel height list if you don't have it:

TUNNEL HEIGHTS - Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)

Gatlinburg will be the worst of the traffic. The G'burg bypass is good or if you go through G'burg,turn right on the RiverRd & dodge the worst of the strip.

I saw a 38-40' Allegro RED in the Clingmans Dome parking lot yesterday, so you are not alone. Saw one young black bear very close to Newfound Gap. It's black bear mating season so they are active.

You will have a long moderate grade of 4-6% for a few miles when you first turn onto the parkway. Just relax & enjoy the view. Be sure to stop in the Craggy Gardens area. The clouds blowing through can be really spectacular.

If you have time, take the spur up to the Mt Mitchell area. I think it's about 7 miles. The views are great. There is a little restaurant up there close to the top. Big parking area there and also at the top. Don't turn in at the camping sign. The lot is small and it's tent camping only.

Little Switzerland is fun and the North Carolina Mineral Museum is right next to the parkway. Linville Falls is a short hike. Linville Land Harbor is worth a stop. It's a mixed, high end residential, RV park. Something like the Great Outdoors in Titusville, FL.

Safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Thanks Steve! We travel the Blue Ridge Parkway every year, but have never taken the MH on it. This info will be very useful!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #12

The Blue Ridge is a great trip... but not in a MH or any large RV.
Set up camp and do day trips on the parkway in your tow(ed) vehicle.

The road is there for all to enjoy, but you need to do it in an appropriate vehicle.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Personally, I don't think driving a MH on the Blue Ridge Parkway or 441 over the smokies is appropriate.

On 441 over the Smokies you are going to be a road block to every other car on the road going up, and down. Not to mention going down is not going to be much fun at all. When we were there in early June we were in our Jeep and ended up behind a big tag axel MH and you could smell his brakes for a mile behind, going 25mph and 20+ cars stuck behind it.

On the BRP, the trees overhang the road since there are no trucks to keep them pruned, so expect scratches on your sides and roof. It is also very narrow.

Yes it it legal, but I just don't think it is wise or courteous to do so....... If you do it on either road, watch the parade quickly building behind you and pull over to the lookouts often and let everyone go by (and expect a few "one finger salutes" along the way).
I've never held up traffic going up or down pulling toad wat gets me is the leaf watchers or the idiot tat pulls out in front of me thinking I don't want to get behind them. Well they have another thing coming as they keep looking in there mirror reading revolution on my bumper.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #14

The speed limit is 35mph in many areas, so it's not about speed. It's about safety, stopping distance as Rooster tailgates you, long wheelbase on tight mountain bends sending the rear end over the centerline into oncoming traffic, etc.
Also, you will get passed by cars and motorcyclists in some unlikely places and a large RV makes that much more dangerous for everyone due to length and width. Granted, it's their choice to pass you, but you get the idea.
Also, there are frequent wrecks that block one or both lanes. The ability to get passed these or turn around should be a consideration.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote