Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

Boondocking lessons about other Boondockers

Here's what I've learned so far about other boondockers when I've boondocked.

If you are first to an area - let's say a football size area - you park at the 10 yard line. The next person that shows up will park on the 15 yard line next to you.

If they have a dog(s) they will let them off the leash and constantly be yelling to them as if they were a human to 'get back here'.

The dogs(s) will piss on your tires.

The dog(s) will bark a lot and the owner will act surprised when they run at you and bark at you when you dare to leave your RV.

The other Boondocker will like rock from the 60s that you've all heard millions of times and they will play it loudly from bad speakers.

There generator will sound like a jackhammer. They will point the exhaust towards your open door.

They will sit around a fire until 2 am, talking loudly, then get up at 6 am to drive their mufferless pick up to go fishing.

Have you met these people or other's like them?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
And people complain about Wallydocking? LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
If everyone were exactly the same, it sure would be a boring world to live in.

I've also read hundreds of complaints about neighbors in full hookup RV parks.

Perhaps a 4×4 overlanding RV where no other RV would dare go might make life more peaceful.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #4

I'm glad we don't boondock where you do! We generally meet very nice people.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Yup, I have met them. We actually have moved a few times just to get farther away. I think some inexperienced boondockers just don’t u derstand the concept of space, and they need other people around them. I remember one time we moved to a spot much farther away and the other party came to our place and asked why. We just said we prefer our privacy, smiled, and said “Good day.” You could tell we blew his mind.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Here's what I've learned so far about other boondockers when I've boondocked.

If you are first to an area - let's say a football size area - you park at the 10 yard line. The next person that shows up will park on the 15 yard line next to you.

If they have a dog(s) they will let them off the leash and constantly be yelling to them as if they were a human to 'get back here'.

The dogs(s) will piss on your tires.

The dog(s) will bark a lot and the owner will act surprised when they run at you and bark at you when you dare to leave your RV.

The other Boondocker will like rock from the 60s that you've all heard millions of times and they will play it loudly from bad speakers.

There generator will sound like a jackhammer. They will point the exhaust towards your open door.

They will sit around a fire until 2 am, talking loudly, then get up at 6 am to drive their mufferless pick up to go fishing.

Have you met these people or other's like them?
Yes we have. The dog, the gennie and the park way to close when there is so much room. Mens room urinal rules apply to boondocking. gennie counts as talking and that is a very much against man rules. Always take the space farthest from the closest other person. If there are 5 urinals and all empty you dont take number three. You take 1 or 5 and the next person takes the oppisite side and if a third one shows up they are supposed to take the center spot . Same simple rules should apply.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #7

Truthfully, we haven't encountered any of those. We try to find one-space spots where we can tuck in and be by ourselves. If it's a big open area we'll go way to the rear. If it's an area that ATVs gather we won't even stop there. There are choices.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #8

My old timer mentor once told me that if you meet 100 jack holes per day...maybe it's not the people you're meeting!

On a more serious note, it's the same in Baja, in the middle of no where in a SoCal BLM area desert.

We are generally well behaved, I'll admit to guilt on the dog thing time to time. If I'm there first I will go tell the folks that are about to park next to me that I have dogs (13 year old Boxer, still looks tough, has a fast first step/bark then he gives up, 3 year old Boston Terrier/Blue Heeler mix, she listens to voice commands). My dogs are either on a tie out or in the camper 90% of the time. I know...I know...it's the other 10% of the time that makes others mad.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #9

the best defense is your wheels roll them along onto another yard line a lot further away! We would not hesitate to move fast. We never feel abused if we have to move, we truly believe that is why we ARE mobile
But I have never encountered troubles when we boondock. So far no crazy situations.
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is why you have a key,,, turn it..
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:30 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
You were camping on a football field on the 10 yard line ?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
There was no sign prohibiting overnight parking
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Camping on a football field? Hey, great way to provide more RV space and get more use out of off season stadiums!

Kidding... sort of
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #14

We just move.

Tags
boondocking