Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

Boondocking on the beach

I recently returned from a fishing trip on the coast of the gulf of Mexico. We parked in a RV park about 100 yds off the beach where we fished the jetties from a pier. After talking to locals about a place that had rural beach access I was given directions and low and behold there were a couple tt parked 50ft from the water. Me being of the opinion that if you don't ask you want know. So it turns out the camping is free with the only aminities being a outdoor shower and porta Jon's that we're clean . The beach has a high sell and gravel content making the road bed quite firm and where you would park was not bad either though all tt's we're parked on ply wood. Is there anything special I would need to do different for this type of boon docking. I will be using my generator for power and plan to leave it in the back of my truck to keep sand away it. Disturbing others will not be a problem since it is easy to distance yourself from others. Are there any special consideration I may be missing?
Porkchop401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just know that corrosion happens rapidly that close to the ocean and the air itself will kill televisions and other electronics really quickly, not to mention water heaters, refrigerators etc.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You best find out the high tide point and then stay 20 feet past that.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:29 AM   #4

Which one of the area beaches did you go to?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:42 AM   #5

WD40 is your best friend if you spend a lot of time close to salt water.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #6

can`t make this stuff up

I think some nasty weather might be heading your way keep an eye out, might be a bit of a surge.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #7

The generator in the bed of a pickup will tend to run hot or at least hotter due to the restricted airflow around the engine. Wouldn't be an issue in cooler weather but I saw this happen to a neighbor once.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was 3 weeks off beach near Galveston this spring. Lots of starting corrusion under neath. Repainted. Chrome on mirrors cracking.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
The generator in the bed of a pickup will tend to run hot or at least hotter due to the restricted airflow around the engine. Wouldn't be an issue in cooler weather but I saw this happen to a neighbor once.
I would not have thought that .... I intended to leave the tailgate down . Certainly something to consider . My reasoning for doing this was to keep it out of the sand and n the event I run to town I do not have to worry about it walking off. The corrosion issues are what is really own my mind . The park I stay in in Cameron is only a couple hundred yards from the gulf and it has thinking about that salty air doing harm to my RV. I usually only stay a few days at a time and I rinse it with fresh water when I get home. What areas should I look for corrosion aside from the ovious?
Porkchop401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

We were selling fireworks in Fresno for our local Elks lodge and we ran a generator in the bed of a pickup for 7 days from 9 in the morning until 8 at night.

The temps were about 105 every day and we never had a problem. So my experience says heat is not a problem.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #11

Quote:

So what about all those engines in riding mowers, totally enclosed except for little cowl vents?

The shrouds and flywheel fans are designed to force air across the engine. Unless the pickup has a tonneau / camper shell or something to seal it off it's going to get lots of air, even in a truck box.

Tags
boondocking