Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #15

I have a 12v CPAP and run it off an xPower (450 w, about 30 lbs.) battery pack using the 12v adapter. It will last for 2 night easily but not quite 3. With your 24' requirement, you could run it off the 120v invert or side,

My wife has a 1 lb battery that provides v her about 18 hours v of use. It is c designed specifically for a CPAP and configured for her power requirements. She can take it on overnight kayak trips.

Neither of us use the heater any more.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
How are y'all getting away without the humidifier? When I forget to put water in mine I wake up the next day with my tongue glued to the roof of my mouth among other things.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #17

My spouse stopped using the humidifier part years ago with no issues.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
How are y'all getting away without the humidifier? When I forget to put water in mine I wake up the next day with my tongue glued to the roof of my mouth among other things.
I think it may depend on where you live, but maybe not. Since we live in the NWet, the air almost always is a little humid. I found mine to be a pain for travel and after a trip to Europe when I left it home, I never used it again. I've done without it for almost 10 years.

I get the glue mouth sometimes caused by opening my mouth in my sleep and letting the air rush out. I just live with it.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
If your tongue is getting glued to the top of your mouth it is likely caused by your mouth being open. If this occurs, not only are you getting the glue problem but the CPAP is also not able to deliver the correct pressure to keep your airway open.

I had this problem and got a chin strap that helps to keep mouth shut, allowing the pressure to be maintained and forcing the air out through my nose, the way the system is designed to work.

I find there to be no difference with or without a humidifier but your mileage may vary.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are many people that use CPAP machines that also have to have supplemental oxygen. Is this an issue with you. Most will use an oxygen generator. If so those machines will need 110v to operate. Factor this in when determining how much battery you need to have.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #21

You can get passive humifiers, an enclosed tray that holds water an has hose connections and requires no electricity to function. The CPAP air passes over the water, picks up moisture before going through the tube to you. That is the only CPAP humidifier that I've experienced and quit using it as I kept forgetting to add water.
This is not the one that came with mine, but the concept is the same:
http://www.thecpapshop.com/resmed-ai...-water-chamber

Here is an interesting alternative:

cpapXchange: In-Line Heat Moisture Exchange (HME) Humidifier with Bacterial Viral Filter for CPAP/BiPAP
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I use my humidifier but not the electric element. If I go too many nights without the humidifier I will get sneeze attacks during the day. I guess my sinuses dry out.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
I've used the closed tray humidifier and found I can easily adjust the moisture into the cpap machine by using hot to warm water in the tray. The hot water is like being in the humid rain forest.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I never thought about just putting two of the group 27 batteries in parallel! That Might be the cheapest route to go. Her unit does use a humidifier, and if she doesn't use it she gets a bad burning sensation in her sinuses. I'm guessing it pulls somewhere around 80 watts as the max wattage for the power brick is 90 watts.
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm on my third CPAP, second one lasted over 15 years and the Dr. was amazed at the number of hours it had. My newest one is a 12 V model and needs a transformer to work off 120. The, new to us, Magna doesn't have a 12 V plug by the bed, the Dutch Star we traded in did but it was a special order.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'm on my third CPAP, second one lasted over 15 years and the Dr. was amazed at the number of hours it had. My newest one is a 12 V model and needs a transformer to work off 120. The, new to us, Magna doesn't have a 12 V plug by the bed, the Dutch Star we traded in did but it was a special order.
Mine didn't have a 12v receptacle by the bed, so I added one. I just tapped into the wires for the reading light and placed the 12v outlet near the head. I plan to redo with heavier wire directly from the battery bank if I can find a good path and place the receptacle in the closest where the cpap sits.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking