Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #1

This was on UvaldeRadio.com news (a on-line service affiliated with the Uvalde TX newspaper) 12-04-07
Hidden compartments in an RV , discovered by Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol agents running a highway checkpoint near Del Rio, yielded more than 600 pounds of marijuana Thursday afternoon.

Agents performed an intensive inspection of the 1989 Chevrolet Bounder after a service canine alerted to the rear and pasenger side panel of the RV. While in secondary inspection, consent was given for an interior K-0 scent search, the K-9 immediately alerted to the floorboard area. A complete and through searchc of the RV revealed that portions of the RV had been modified. The exterior luggage compartments had been modified with false walls and in the interior of the RV, an elevated false floor had been constructed. The hidden compartments contained approximately 197 bundles of marijuana. Agents recovered a little over 620 pounds of marijuana, valued at nearly $500,000.

The mariuana and drivers were turned over to the Office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement . The Chevrolet Bounder was turned over to the Del Rio Sector Border Patrol Office of Vehicle Seizure and Asset Forfeiture.

Point of this post is.......Dont take it personal if your RV is searched at a border checkpoint or you are stopped by the Border Patrol within about a 100 miles of an international border. Smuggling using modified and non-modified RV's is a common practice that is occuring more and more often.

Although I never go into Mexico, I take our RV through nearby border checkpoints on the US side (they place them usually within 100 miles of the border) several times a year and, even though I'm a 20 year law enforcement officer I always ID myself and ask them if they need to look anywhere, and would open any compartment they ask me to. I know of several cases where smugglers have used not only RV's but imposter vehicles made up to look like highway dept trucks, police cars, and yes even Border Patrol vehicles. I have seen them run a dog around all types of supposedly "official" vehicles. So just remember it is nothing personal, they are just doing their job.

Happy RVing over the CHRISTmas season and be safe.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #2

This was on UvaldeRadio.com news (a on-line service affiliated with the Uvalde TX newspaper) 12-04-07
Hidden compartments in an RV , discovered by Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol agents running a highway checkpoint near Del Rio, yielded more than 600 pounds of marijuana Thursday afternoon.

Agents performed an intensive inspection of the 1989 Chevrolet Bounder after a service canine alerted to the rear and pasenger side panel of the RV. While in secondary inspection, consent was given for an interior K-0 scent search, the K-9 immediately alerted to the floorboard area. A complete and through searchc of the RV revealed that portions of the RV had been modified. The exterior luggage compartments had been modified with false walls and in the interior of the RV, an elevated false floor had been constructed. The hidden compartments contained approximately 197 bundles of marijuana. Agents recovered a little over 620 pounds of marijuana, valued at nearly $500,000.

The mariuana and drivers were turned over to the Office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement . The Chevrolet Bounder was turned over to the Del Rio Sector Border Patrol Office of Vehicle Seizure and Asset Forfeiture.

Point of this post is.......Dont take it personal if your RV is searched at a border checkpoint or you are stopped by the Border Patrol within about a 100 miles of an international border. Smuggling using modified and non-modified RV's is a common practice that is occuring more and more often.

Although I never go into Mexico, I take our RV through nearby border checkpoints on the US side (they place them usually within 100 miles of the border) several times a year and, even though I'm a 20 year law enforcement officer I always ID myself and ask them if they need to look anywhere, and would open any compartment they ask me to. I know of several cases where smugglers have used not only RV's but imposter vehicles made up to look like highway dept trucks, police cars, and yes even Border Patrol vehicles. I have seen them run a dog around all types of supposedly "official" vehicles. So just remember it is nothing personal, they are just doing their job.

Happy RVing over the CHRISTmas season and be safe.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #3

Just went through a few of these check points near Tucson Arizona, and was amazed at how they just waved 90% of the vehicles through.

I expected a search as we were coming from the border (Hadnt crossed, we were just camping in Organ Pipe National Park)but no such thing?

The wife and I both commented on how many hiding places an RV would have and thought we would be searched.

I'll bet that one that was found, was smelling like it had just ran over a skunk with all that weed in there...LOL

Thanks for the post

Pat

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #4

Two years ago we were stopped at three checkpoints in AZ, and one in NM. All of them, after checking both our ID's, and asking a few questions waved us along. I was pleased at the friendlness and courtesy the agents displayed. We applaud their efforts and dedication!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #5

I'll second that. At every check point we've been stopped at, the friendliness and courtesy has been top notch.

I too would like to personally shake everyone of their hands and pat them on the back!

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:55 AM   #6

Reminds me of the scene in the old Cheech Martin movie, Born in East LA, where he stowed away in a middle aged smugler couple's motorhome trying to get back into the country.
A hallarious movie if you remember or ever come across it.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we were living in Oklahoma, the locals stopped an RV and the drug K-9 was a bit agitated so they let him out to sniff around. The dog kept going to the sewer drain hook up.

They had several kilos of stuff in the black tank. Completely bagged and chemicals, but the dog still found it. Now you why they say...it was some really good.......

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote