Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #15

Any dealer, or their employees who don’t notice something like this, should not be selling anything.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #16

Are all the tires the same size and brand?
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
Just get a lawyer, check out the rv web site RVTravel.com, there are articles about a guy who specializes in rv lemons etc. Pay for help, let them send the letter. In the long run the dealer is going to realize he will lose and cost him attorney fees as well. Start with wanting it all paid for including labor at a local to you service place--after all you will have to pay your lawyer at least for his time to write a letter treating to take them to court.
And that's the problem these days.
First thing people say is "just get a lawyer"
And you know who always ends up winning, the lawyer.
So far the op is working with the dealer and it's not a lemon, it's a mistake.
He said they haven't offered any money but I haven't seen where he asked for any.
He's in the process of sending pictures which the dealer requested so the dealer may still come through.
Al Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Are all the tires the same size and brand?
Yes and the rims are identical. I measured the hub face of both: 86.5" & 85". It's even on the stickers.

"Although the buyer is still required to make a reasonable inspection of goods upon purchase, increased responsibilities have been placed upon the seller, and the doctrine of caveat venditor (Latin for "let the seller beware") has become more prevalent. Generally, there is a legal presumption that a seller makes certain warranties unless the buyer and the seller agree otherwise. One such Warranty is the Implied Warranty of merchantability. If a person buys soap, for example, there is an implied warranty that it will clean; if a person buys skis, there is an implied warranty that they will be safe to use on the slopes.

A seller who is in the business of regularly selling a particular type of goods has still greater responsibilities in dealing with an average customer. A person purchasing antiques from an antique dealer, or jewelry from a jeweler, is justified in his or her reliance on the expertise of the seller."

He has been in business for 47 years. As with the skis (above), there is an implied warranty that the RV is safe/legal to use on the highway.

Of course, I will not be heading back to NM to fight this. BUT, bad Google reviews can/will be a real bitch. Just hoping he is honest and will make an offer to help with the costs. I will have the RV fixed and ready for the road within the next 60 days....takes 3 weeks to get the axle.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #19

3 weeks to get the axle ???
There are trailer repair shops
Trailer manufacturing shops all over.
Im sitting 3 miles from a trailer sales dealer that had a dozen Dexter axles on desplay in his shop the last time I was there.

Better get on the phone and start calling.

You may have the axle close by.

Many large farmers and construction companies build custom trailers and keep Dexter axles on hand.

In my opinion.

The manufacturer of your new to you trailer
Would be the last place I would look.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #20

My thought/opinion is whenever I buy something used and hand over payment, it becomes mine and my responsibility. If I missed something during the inspection, shame on me. If the OP has the means to replace the axle, then just do it and chalk the experience up to the risk of buying a used RV. If you expect warranty on a item, then either buy new or get the warranty agreement in writing before the purchase.
Leaving a bad review on the dealer is not the right thing to do unless they intentionally and knowingly sold you a defect RV, which doesn't sound like the case here. It sounds like the guilty party is the original RV owner and the dealer and OP both missed the scam.
I once bought a Buick Lesabre that turned out to be a flood car and a 3 year old pickup that turned out to be a roll over. I didn't find out until years later when I did a title search on them. "Oh Well", lesson learned there and the risk of buying used!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:36 AM   #21

I agree, it would be nice if the dealer chipped in something to help cover the expense, but I don't see that he has any obligation. It sounds like the previous owner took a shortcut repairing the trailer, and that it slipped through the cracks. AS-IS means AS-IS, if you missed something during the inspection that was not intentionally hidden by the dealer, then it is on you.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple of years ago we bought a used, 2012 Class B on a Chevy chassis from a large, national RV dealership. After we took delivery, I noticed that the fairly new tires (most likely installed by the previous owner) were undersized for the chassis capacity. I brought it to the dealer's attention to see if they would replace them as being unsafe. The dealer agreed to replace them with new, correct sized tires at their expense.

I had two things in my favor though. The 1st was that I was still in the area of the dealership. The 2nd was the fact that the RV weight/tire placard (i.e. yellow sticker) was for a Mercedes Sprinter based RV with dual rear wheels and not a Chevy based RV with single rear wheels. The RV manufacturer screwed up at the factory with the sticker and the previous owner must have used that wrong sticker data to replace the tires.

In any event, I believe your dealer should take some responsibility by selling you an unsafe RV. Getting them to compensate you could prove interesting.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #23
IC2

Work with your dealer. He may not agree to full costs for that axle but may share it for his reputation and to maintain a good future relationship. A local dealership lost my business over less then a hundred bucks worth of accessories on a new $80K 5er when he changed trailers after the first one was damaged in transit.

Suggest a 50-50 split on wholesale cost along with full drop shipping costs to you at a minimum. 100% of the costs is best and first to be discussed though. Adding a lawyer or even the threat of one to the mix will only cost you dollars and most likely wont get the problem corrected
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #24

I really think if this was checked out by the dealer before you bought it and dealing with so many RVs, he should have noticed this. You deserve compensation for it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #25

Got a very apologetic email from the owner today - Sunday. He stated that he does feel responsible and has added an inspection of the axles "date of manufacture" and "rating" to their list of inspections. He stated that his wife/office manager will begin looking for a replacement axle tomorrow and appreciates my willingness to do the replacement work.

I will call Dexter to see if the hub and brake assembly on the current axle is the same one used on the 7000# axle. If so, that will reduce the price by about 60%.

Again, once this is resolved, I will post who the dealer is....one way or the other.

Thanks for every ones input.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Definitely take it back and demand they fix it. Document it as of today. They are liable if anything should happen.
If you buy a used RV why are they liable for anything?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
If you buy a used RV why are they liable for anything?
Read the first OP's post. It stated that the dealer went out of his way to make sure everything was good.

This issue is so obvious. Why didn't he see it? No excuses.

Sounds like the OP has resolved the issue. That's good.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #28

2 different weight rated axles - problem???

Long story but to make it short: I purchased a used 2015 Brookstone 5th wheel with a GVWR - 14,500# and a Hitch Weight - 2350#.

One of the axles has been replaced. It is 85" HF & rated at 6000# (per Dexter, not 3500# as I indicated in another thread). The other original axle is 7000# and 86.5 HF

At this point I "think" that the dealer is willing to pay for a new axle ($728). My experience with them has be excellent to this point.

So, my question: is it prudent to split the difference on the length (3/4" shorter on both sides) and be comfortable with a combined 13,000# total axles rating. Or should I hold the dealer's feet to the fire and insist on a new 7000#, 86.5" axle?

Tags
problem, weight