Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2023, 09:11 AM   #15
Aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It also has pet bowls hidden in a drawer! Well worth the price!!
That is the stupidest thing ever, either the drawer is out and in the way or your poor dog doesn't have full time access to water.

Trailers like the Bolus are for people with more money than brains.
Aaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2023, 09:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudist View Post
The lack of a real RV toilet is a deal breaker. The hallmark of a crappy travel trailer is the "cassette toilet". That means after going poop you need to carry your poop to a location to pour it out. This means even if your campsite has a sewer hookup, you still need to carry your poop to a toilet somewhere to empty it. This is the most expensive travel trailer and at the same time the worst simply because you have to carry your poop. It's like buying a $2 million home with an outhouse and no indoor plumbing. If you want to pay the most for the worst, buy a Bowlus. The cheapest camper I have ever owned had a "cassette toilet". You remove the cassette from the outside and go pour your poop somewhere. Hooking up a sewer hose is so much more sanitary than pouring your urine, feces and toilet paper somewhere on, at least, a daily basis. When you have one of these "cassette toilets" you always try to never use it and walk to the campground's bathroom or outhouse.

This travel trailer has everything I want, except the worst thing any travel trailer could possibly come with. Before spending more than $150,000 to pour your poop somewhere, try pooping in a bucket at home for week. Then, carry it on a walk around the block every day and then empty it in a toilet when you get home. This simulates what it is like to have a cassette toilet in a camper. You can't pour this at a dump station, you have to go to a toilet. The small hole for a sewer line is not for pouring a cassette toilet in to. Plus, where does all the wastewater from your sink go? Not into a tank or what the point of not having a black water tank. If off the grid, where does your sink and showers waste water go? On to the ground? My guess is that is illegal.
I'm finding scant details on the Bowlus site about this other than describing it as a "cassette." If it's a true composting toilet it's a good idea, if it's a glorified catbox (unlikely), then no.

Lots of folks install composting toilets for extending time off-gird. I'd like to talk with a Bowlus owner to get some firsthand comments but yea, my guess would be most owners aren't boondocking. I don't think that's the demographic here.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 03:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
I'm finding scant details on the Bowlus site about this other than describing it as a "cassette." If it's a true composting toilet it's a good idea, if it's a glorified catbox (unlikely), then no.

Lots of folks install composting toilets for extending time off-gird. I'd like to talk with a Bowlus owner to get some firsthand comments but yea, my guess would be most owners aren't boondocking. I don't think that's the demographic here.
If it is a true cassette, then it is just a very small holding tank for whatever you put it the toilet. It is a new age chamber pot.that you have to pull out, lug to a toilet, and try to empty without getting the contents on your shoes.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:34 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
At first glance, i thought it would make a great toaster.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:56 PM   #19

Bowlus owner here. Ask me anything.
gglockner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:54 PM   #20

Looks like Bowlus announced a southwest tour with the Rivet. Locations in San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson, Houston, Austin and Dallas.

https://bowlus.com/events/
sue_travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglockner View Post
Bowlus owner here. Ask me anything.
Where is the propane tank and battery?
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Methinks he is being sarcastic.

Pet bowls in a drawer have been in RV for at least a dozen years, maybe longer. They seem to be popular with low end Class A gasoline powered rigs. Some have two stainless steel bowls that can be lifted out and cleaned individually rather than the Thor plastic one-piece.

That white plastic photo is from the Thor A.C.E. brochure. One of those was the first place I saw one back in 2010.

The two stainless bowls is a product available on Amazon in a cabinet. You can get rid of the cabinet if you want.

The blue plastic is $40 from Amazon and can be used anywhere.

Thor used to have what they called a Doggie Window, near the feet of the front passenger side foot area - so the pets could see out the window. One couple I know said both their small dogs would puke there while traveling. Getting sick from watching the movement out that window. But it was great while the RV was parked, Kept the dogs of the table and back of the couch trying to look out.

Grand RV apparently has them as options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-ace-29-3-mesamineral-malibumaple-kibblestation-kf.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	415408   Click image for larger version

Name:	R (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	415409  

Attached Images

OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
Where is the propane tank and battery?
I have a 2022 Terra Firma. On it, the batteries are underneath the bed on the driver's side, and the fixed propane tank is on the passenger side on an exterior hatch.

I have only seen photos of the redesigned models (2023+) where the propane is optional, so I'm not 100% sure but here you go. Where the fixed propane tank used to be, I believe that space is now used for extra batteries. The optional propane tank appears to be a standard portable tank, mounted on the tongue inside a storage device. Personally, I find the new propane tank to be an eyesore. If I were buying a new Bowlus, I would go all-electric and skip the propane altogether.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:11 PM   #24

Quote:
One of the first things I did was remove the pet bowls and reclaim the extra drawer. Storage is extremely limited, and the pet bowls were a colossal waste of space. Even if I still had a dog, I would just use a portable dish. DM me if anyone really wants the pet bowls and mount.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:47 AM   #25

If I had the money to buy a bowlus, I'd go buy the Airstream Classic, then use the leftover cash to buy a new tow vehicle; like the new Ram EV pickup w/onboard generator.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote