Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coming from the banking industry myself, yet not sure if they still do this, dealers that wanted to sell a car/boat/rv could offer a "dealer recourse" which amounts to the dealer guaranteeing the bank would be paid if the buyer defaulted. In this case the dealer would take the unity back and pay off the loan and sell it to recover what they could.

Usually, this was a standing agreement the bank & dealer had if they brought a lot of loans to the bank. And don't be fooled into thinking the banks and dealers do not work together the same way a sales manager and sales rep work a deal to get the most cash down or profit margin from a deal.

Don't take things some folks say to personally. Some get pretty insensitive at times because they don't know all the facts. I can certain understand if you have set down and carefully budgeted for a specific payment amount that would leave you enough to enjoy your new rv. And to some of us $200 can represent a lot of money to enjoy camping. Or, it can be the principle of the matter seeing that you felt you had a deal based on the numbers the dealer gave you.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
Don't take things some folks say to personally. Some get pretty insensitive at times because they don't know all the facts. I can certain understand if you have set down and carefully budgeted for a specific payment amount that would leave you enough to enjoy your new rv. And to some of us $200 can represent a lot of money to enjoy camping. Or, it can be the principle of the matter seeing that you felt you had a deal based on the numbers the dealer gave you.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave
My feelings exactly.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #59

To the OP, looks like the ball is in your court. The way I see it, it's not the money, it's the principle, and the lack of communication on their part did not help. Looks to me like you have an "out" if you want to walk away.

Bought a car for my son years ago, got a cash price of $X "if I took it today." I said I don't spend that kind of money with out thinking it over and if the price is good today, it should be good tomorrow and walked out telling him I would let him know. I call the next day and said I would take it at that price and he agreed. Went to pick it up and he started adding on stuff like dealer prep and such, I stopped him and asked what that was for, he said oil changes clean up and such. I said that was done before I was given a price and I did not approve additional services. He said every one has to pay these charges, even him, and I told him no, I didn't have to and he could keep the car. He "talked to the sales manager" and rewrote the sale, moving numbers around with the bottom line equal to what I agreed to and I drove the car home.

Went back the next day to get the paper work and he totally ignored me when we passed going through the doors.

I always tell auto dealers that it's my money and if they want to sell me a car that I can buy just about anywhere about the same price, they have to play by my rules, that I don't care how many sick children they have in college! Not many times will they let you walk away!

Bottom line, it's your call.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #60

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Personally I would take he deal if the extra $690 gets ya 2 years off the note, which I assume is or was 12 years...They tend to do 12 year loans for tt's and 15 notes for higher end 5ers....

Chances are you know you are not going to have the RV 10 or 12 years. Our 99 Coleman pup we had for 6 seasons, 2005 hybrid 7 season, 2013 hybrid 1-1/2 seasons so far...

Since you called the dealer and was told they would call ya back. I would call again and ask for who ever was in charge. Settle this " NOW ....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
To the OP, looks like the ball is in your court. The way I see it, it's not the money, it's the principle, and the lack of communication on their part did not help. Looks to me like you have an "out" if you want to walk away.

Bought a car for my son years ago, got a cash price of $X "if I took it today." I said I don't spend that kind of money with out thinking it over and if the price is good today, it should be good tomorrow and walked out telling him I would let him know. I call the next day and said I would take it at that price and he agreed. Went to pick it up and he started adding on stuff like dealer prep and such, I stopped him and asked what that was for, he said oil changes clean up and such. I said that was done before I was given a price and I did not approve additional services. He said every one has to pay these charges, even him, and I told him no, I didn't have to and he could keep the car. He "talked to the sales manager" and rewrote the sale, moving numbers around with the bottom line equal to what I agreed to and I drove the car home.

Went back the next day to get the paper work and he totally ignored me when we passed going through the doors.

I always tell auto dealers that it's my money and if they want to sell me a car that I can buy just about anywhere about the same price, they have to play by my rules, that I don't care how many sick children they have in college! Not many times will they let you walk away!

Bottom line, it's your call.

H
Exactly, it's the principle over everything else. The one thing that really got me was when the finance guy said "I feel like I did all this work for nothing" when I said I no to giving more money. I replied "I didn't ask you to do that, if the numbers didn't change you wouldn't have had too, plus it's your job to do that isn't it?" He just paused.

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #62

Yes it was a 12 year, I waited all day today thinking they would be calling all day, but didn't get a call, I'll call Monday or Wednesday?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would call first thing Monday morning....Either talk to the salesman, finance guy or the dealership owner.....And not their voice mail....

What size dealer is it?

When we bought our 2013 tt in Feb of 2012 I had received a price from another dealer 2-1/2 hours away that was half of what my dealer wanted....Yes I said half...My dealer wanted $19.5k plus my 2005 tt. The out of town dealer wanted get this $9800 plus my 2005 tt. So to be fair to my dealer I called and said " I'll give you 24 hours to give me your "best and final offer". They called me back 7 times over the next day. They got down to $15.5k plus mine. Hence I drove the 2 hours to put down a deposit....
Old 08-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I would call first thing Monday morning....Either talk to the salesman, finance guy or the dealership owner.....And not their voice mail....

What size dealer is it?

When we bought our 2013 tt in Feb of 2012 I had received a price from another dealer 2-1/2 hours away that was half of what my dealer wanted....Yes I said half...My dealer wanted $19.5k plus my 2005 tt. The out of town dealer wanted get this $9800 plus my 2005 tt. So to be fair to my dealer I called and said " I'll give you 24 hours to give me your "best and final offer". They called me back 7 times over the next day. They got down to $15.5k plus mine. Hence I drove the 2 hours to put down a deposit....
They are big in SoCal Mike Thompson RV

Old 08-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #65

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Let us know if they ever contacted you...Either way they have your check....so either their going to have to "void" it out or make you happy.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #66

Ill make no comment on the OPs story. However, I am curious to know , if they wish to disclose, the interest charge being offered.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
Kathryn is very right. They knocked 24 months of the terms only wanting $690 more, they are not calling you back because they have told you everything that is needed to get this deal done. If you let this $690 keep you from getting what you want then you can't afford it. As for another post saying that you should arrange your own financing, we here at the car dealership almost always beat someone's own financing rates. We do more so we get money for less than you the individual can. I would have taken the deal. There's only so much the dealer can cut. He isn't a non profit organization.
People don't seem to get this. They go in with 'I know what I want and what I will pay and if the dealer doesn't give it to me, then they are trying to rip me off.'

620 is a marginal credit score. Sorry, if I were the bank I wouldn't give a house loan, let alone credit for a luxury item like a camper - not without enough down to insure that I'm not upside down on it if I have to repo it.
lemosley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #68

iRV2 No Limits Club
Just good advice given to me by a very wealthy self made man: "When negotiating, he who cares less..... wins." He is right.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #69

I though about buying MH 12yrs ago and made payments to myself, cash in hand buys things alot easier when was I was ready to buy. Plus no interest cost!
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #70

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I would threaten to walk. You'd be amazed the last minute concessions a dealer will make when you say 'Give me back my money, I don't want this deal'. I wouldn't under any circumstances give them any more money. They're already going to screw you on the financing.
On the other hand... your credit has already been pulled, perhaps more than once. This does not help your credit score, going forward. At this point, the only thing worse than the hit to your score would be if there is not a resulting trade line... which will make it look worse to anyone pulling it in the future. If you want the trailer and you think you got a good price, jump through the hoop the bank wants, thereby buying down the loan. By the way... as someone above suggested... talk directly with the lender, if possible.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote