Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
Redbaron, have you measured your
new coach and know the max height?
Yes. The height is 12' 10" if you have the in motion satellite.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Heading down I-76S in PA today. I'm in a class A that I have my Garmin 770 set to a height of 13'5". My coach is 12'10" according to Newmar, I think that's to the fiberglass roof, not sure if they take into account air conditioners. Some antennas go slightly higher. So what do you do when you approach a bridge at 65 MPH and see this??? Wowza! Plenty of trucks on the road too.

Video shot on my new Blackvue DR900S 4K dashcam from which I took a screenshot to show here.
Hahahahaha! Reminds me the first time I drove a VIT Kenworth cab over semi to Montreal, crossing the border at Detroit! I get on Hwy. 1 and cruising along at 65 MPH or so, came to the first overpass, it was in meter's! Dang, we do not do meter's in the U.S.! Dang, no time to stop,, I ducked in the seat as I rolled under, then realized that all the other trucks were making it just fine! This was before cell phones and google! I stopped at the next safe spot, and got out my pencil and paper, made my self the conversion for 13'6" in meters, (4.11 meters) and taped it to the bottom of the windshield! Now that was a pucker moment! Rail!
Old 12-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Perrin View Post
I drive a truck, so 13' 6" is pretty standard and I don't worry.
I was doing another guys run in SC, running 55 down a 2 lane, fairly straight road, when I came upon an overpass that said 13' 3"!
Yeah, I puckered up pretty tight as I went under.
I'm pretty sure that they use the "new math" down there.

My 5vr is 13'4" measure height

Somewhere in NY State we crossed over an overpass that then did a cloverleaf back under that same overpass.

No alternate route once you crossed over.
As we came around the curve the signage on that overpass stated 12' 8".
SO I came to a HALT ---trying to figure out what in the heck to do...traffic backing up on the roadway behind us.

Got out and as I headed back to let those folks sitting behind us that tere were going to have to squeeze by us on shoulder a guy back about 5 vehicles yelled......"It higher then posted, I drive tall semi and go under it all the time. They dug out the asphalt road, repaved it lower and having redone the signage. TRUST ME!"

So got back in and drove up to overpass at an idle then slowly went under the overpass and back out other side. As 5vr was entering I checked and there was less then a foot of clearance.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Heading down I-76S in PA today. I'm in a class A that I have my Garmin 770 set to a height of 13'5". My coach is 12'10" according to Newmar, I think that's to the fiberglass roof, not sure if they take into account air conditioners. Some antennas go slightly higher. So what do you do when you approach a bridge at 65 MPH and see this??? Wowza! Plenty of trucks on the road too.

Video shot on my new Blackvue DR900S 4K dashcam from which I took a screenshot to show here.
Pull over, let 30 psi out of the trailer tires and you are good. J/k.

I dread the day I run into a close call!
avigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:47 AM   #33

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's been my experience that most bridges under 13 ft will have multiple signs and a lot of times flashing lights warning of low clearance.. but one time in St Louis we were pulling into a Walmart parking lot and they had had a metal bar going across the entrance at the top it looked about 12 or 13 feet I edged up closer to it and decided not to risk it and unhooked my tow vehicle and reversed out.. there were no warning signs with that one
Old 12-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
This video has been posted several times but if you have seen it's worth the time.

CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ha Ha! We learned when we were kids to raise our feet off the floor when going under a bridge to avoid calamity.

Stills works to this day!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #36

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
This video has been posted several times but if you have seen it's worth the time.

Wonder how many of these drivers are still employed by their companies.

Some close calls with cars almost rear-ending the trucks! Yikes!

Fastest way to remove your AC for sure. It's called "situational awareness". Some have none.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Ha Ha! We learned when we were kids to raise our feet off the floor when going under a bridge to avoid calamity.

Stills works to this day!

As kids we raised our feet when crossing 'cattle guards' and ducked when going under bridges
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post

First time I saw a compilation. Should be required watching.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Hahahahaha! Reminds me the first time I drove a VIT Kenworth cab over semi to Montreal, crossing the border at Detroit! I get on Hwy. 1 and cruising along at 65 MPH or so, came to the first overpass, it was in meter's! Dang, we do not do meter's in the U.S.! Dang, no time to stop,, I ducked in the seat as I rolled under, then realized that all the other trucks were making it just fine! This was before cell phones and google! I stopped at the next safe spot, and got out my pencil and paper, made my self the conversion for 13'6" in meters, (4.11 meters) and taped it to the bottom of the windshield! Now that was a pucker moment! Rail!
LOL !!!! I can So relate to that !!!! Good thing my Speedo on my Truck showed both MPH and KPH, If not I would have left some Cash in Canada for sure !!!!
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #40

That video is too funny!

The first time we went out with our MH, DH was driving down I-85 through Atlanta and we came to our first overpass. He tensed up, looked at me and asked if the bridge was high enough for us to get under!

We were right next to a big rig at the time. Since I was more worried that we were going to sideswipe the big rig, I didn't worry about the overpass. As we went under we both looked up, then looked at each other and we both gave a sigh of relief!

Neither one of us thought about the thousands of big rigs that go through that same stretch of highway every hour. Yes, we have moved past both big rigs and Interstate bridges (at least locally).
Old 12-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #41

Took a wrong ramp in Nashville TN, was looking at an overpass labeled 12'6;MH is 12'3". Dumped air bags and creeped under w/spinchter at maximum strength.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
First time I saw a compilation. Should be required watching.
That bridge is here in NC! I shared it with the other 2 drivers. Safety first, ya know!