Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #71

I have a fiberglass extendable pole saw that I use for trimming trees at home. It extends to 16 feet.

When we moved into an old neighborhood that had overhead lines in the alley, I was concerned that my fifth wheel I owned at that time wouldn't fit under the lines.

The 5er was 13"8" at the front a/c unit. I just used the pole extended to 14' and walked the entire length of the alley checking for clearance. All the lines were over 14" but not by much.

Maybe I should carry it in the motorhome now.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You don't need any fancy devices - it is as simple as measuring the height of the RV and posting it permanently on the dash where you can easily and always see it. All bridges below the "standard" height will have their clearance clearly posted and you will know immediately if you can pass thru. Simple common sense will prevail.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #73

Question Warning Rod

How about getting a rod like those fiberglass ones for bicycles and mount it at the front of your rig adjusting it so it is one or two inches above your trailer height?

Where I worked, they shipped a medium power transformer. The truck driver took "a better way" than his dispatcher assigned him, and wiped out the bushings.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #74

Sorry to hear of your experience.

We use GoodSams GPS which has done well keeping us out of trouble.

We also use an App on our android phone, Allstays Truck and Travel. It shows several low clearances in Maryville area, not sure if it shows the one you hit. It shows one of 12' 5" at 2301-2307 Maryville Pike (Rte 33) just north of Rte 168.

Besides the Good Sams GPS we use WAZE which has real-time traffic info and will reroute you around tie-ups. But WAZE doesn't know we're towing and will try to take us where we can't clear. So IF tempted to follow Waze instead of the GS GPS we check out the WAZE route on Truck and Travel before going their way.

Hope this is helpful.
762vram2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #75

Sorry to hear at least you are safe and had to swallow your pride. I don’t know how much damage you had but I’m sure the bridge won.

As for as height detection is concerned I would get an RV specific GPS, and watch the clearance signs. You should alway know the over all height of your rig to the highest point when hooked up and road ready. If in doubt take a different route. Always remember that signs could be incorrect if they haven’t been updated after road repairs so give yourself a few extra inches. Also when going through a dip or crest the front and rear of your rig can gain a few inches in height due to the fulcrum point at the axles.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloe View Post
Last Saturday, I was driving my new Coleman 202rd on a back road up to Cades Cove. I had gone under one bridge and was approaching a second slowly. I now know the sickening feeleng of being yanked to a halt and getting out to find a towable but basically destroyed trailer.

I've been looking at devices and programs to warn of low bridge height and there are so many of them I have no idea which way to go. So the question here is, what is everyone using and if you want to elaborate the pros and cons of each device it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Most highway bridges have 14' or more clearance, and I am aware of one stretch of I-95 in North Carolina where a laser device will alert you if your rig is too tall for this one bridge that has less clearance. I had someone drop a tape measure from my roof to the ground and found I am 12'6" so 14' is plenty. I think most low clearance bridges are marked but so far I've never encountered one that was an issue in some 45,000 miles in my RV. Sorry for the tough lesson you had to go through.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
There is a bad one in Mobile, AL. We stopped at the traffic light and a policeman came up to us and said we'd never get through it. We turned right to go around but GPS took us down into a rail yard, a huge one, and we got lost after dark. Some rail workers were surprised to see this big rig towing a vehicle in the middle of this huge rail yard. One of the men came up and told us he called someone in charge to come lead us out and back to the main highway. He did. And we went on our way but our GPS had taken us to that tunnel in the first place. We now use Maps and Waze but look ahead on the routes to see if we will be headed to the tunnel. There were signs not to go into it but none how to get around it.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #78

Damon Owners Club
Rule of thumb

Know the height of your rig. Measure it personally. Find the highest point, measure from there to the top of the rig, then from the rig to the ground. Write the numbers on a piece of paper and tape to your dashboard where it's always visible.

Hope I never have to go through any of those experiences first hand!

We use a Garmin RV 660LMT 6-Inch Navigator.
BirdsGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #79

Post you height on your dash as a reminder. I have mine on my speedometer as a constant reminder. Just a thought.
Littlestinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
...My wife's number one job when we travel is to watch for low bridges. My number one job is to catch the ones that she doesn't.
Love this. Sharing with the DW.

As an added note, just knowing the distance isn't quite enough, you have to account for "bounce" - how much leeway do you guys allow for? Say the rig is 12'6" and the bridge is 13'. That's 6" of clearance, if not bounce. Is that enough clearance for your butt-pucker factor or do you allow for more?
SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #81

We are looking at a Giraffe G4. We are looking at this one and it is 250.00. It's supposed to tell you what the height of something before you get to it. We also have the park advisor app.If you enlarge the road you are on like exits off the interstate tha the app will show red triangles where there are low clearances. Hope this helps
Stevemarshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #82

Re: Bridge strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloe View Post
Last Saturday, I was driving my new Coleman 202rd on a back road up to Cades Cove. I had gone under one bridge and was approaching a second slowly. I now know the sickening feeleng of being yanked to a halt and getting out to find a towable but basically destroyed trailer.

I've been looking at devices and programs to warn of low bridge height and there are so many of them I have no idea which way to go. So the question here is, what is everyone using and if you want to elaborate the pros and cons of each device it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Can't help suggesting a device but will add my 2 cents to the others who have told you to measure the height of your rig when hooked up.

Next time you want to travel the roads in GSMNP, try this link to get travel tips and road maps: https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...traveltips.htm

But, having lived near GSMNP for over 50 yrs, I'm wondering which road you were on. There's only one 2-way road into Cades Cove - Laurel Branch. There's 2 one-way gravel roads going out but you'd have to be crazy to tow anything larger than a small popup on them.
horsecollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #83

Bridge clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I don't think that there is anything out there that will show all the low bridges on back roads. I don't even think that all the low bridges in metropolitan areas are shown. Your only defense is your own diligence. My wife's number one job when we travel is to watch for low bridges. My number one job is to catch the ones that she doesn't.
Commercial carriers road atlas will tell every low clearance bridge/over-under pass on all state and federal highways. Now local/county roads you have to know your height including a/c and you have to pay attention to what’s ahead of you. It’s unfortunate you had that accident, but it could’ve been prevented with proper knowledge and attention.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #84

We are always worried also - always WC route with program called Low Clearances.com (https://www.lowclearances.com/). Supposed to have the best database of bridge heights.
MnRBuck is offline   Reply With Quote