Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bring back the Non-slide

Yes you heard me and while you're at it please give me twin beds.

Where am I coming from?

Non slides have more interior room and isle space if your usage of a motorhome is going from point A to B and enjoying shorter stays. You collapse a lot of the slides today and they look great open but designers are encroaching more and more on the traveling isle. Some designs you can't enjoy half the coach in transit - a joke really, might as well get a trailer, right.

No slides mean no slides to deal with, ever - seals, hydro or corrosion.

No slides means Bigger windows - yea!

Beds, twins in the end you've got more real estate even if you've shared a king for the last decades at home and going to a small rv queen is a no deal, hate it.

The only coach that I know of that comes close to this design for traveling for a family is the "c" class Lazy Daze.

However, Why can't I get a 40-45 diesel with nose ides? I can I just gotta buy a 02 or earlier Prevost or even earlier Newell.

I think the manufactures are missing a demographic or am I alone?
Kasebeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Community Administrator

You may not be alone but I don't think you'll have a lot of others wanting to buy ( new ) or mfg them.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #3

I see your point,but,like they say,"to each their own" I wouldn't have another one without slides.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought I was alone in the world on this. Actually there are a few others that agree. We use our unit about 5 weeks out of the year spread over 3 or 4 trips, we just don't need the room and the problems that often come with slides. Something I feel is a big problem but doesn't get mentioned often is problems keeping a coach cool in the hot areas of the USA.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have shorter slides and ample room up front when closed, the same can not be said for the bedroom layout.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

I guess I am on the fence. I see the point of view. I had (2) W/O slides and now (1) with slides. I have had few problems, no water, no corrosion, no issues. We shopped by making sure the slides were IN when looking as we also use the coach when driving long distances. We made sure the access was there at the beginning and discarded any that did not have walk room. I agree about windows but our coach has large windows so we know it can be done. The biggest problem from my point of view is the manufacturers seem to think that "glitch" is more important than function. Fire the interior "desecrators" and get some real people that use RV's to help with the design. I cannot believe that most Mfgr's ever do this.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

Felt the same way when shopping for first class A. After looking, wanted the slides. Ours actually have more windows as the living room slide has operable, dual pane windows the entire length and one on each end. The bedroom slide also has a large, operable window on the slide. The only area not accessable with the slides in is the lower bedroom drawers.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasebeau2 View Post
Yes you heard me and while you're at it please give me twin beds.

Where am I coming from?

Non slides have more interior room and isle space if your usage of a motorhome is going from point A to B and enjoying shorter stays. You collapse a lot of the slides today and they look great open but designers are encroaching more and more on the traveling isle. Some designs you can't enjoy half the coach in transit - a joke really, might as well get a trailer, right.

No slides mean no slides to deal with, ever - seals, hydro or corrosion.

No slides means Bigger windows - yea!

Beds, twins in the end you've got more real estate even if you've shared a king for the last decades at home and going to a small rv queen is a no deal, hate it.

The only coach that I know of that comes close to this design for traveling for a family is the "c" class Lazy Daze.

However, Why can't I get a 40-45 diesel with nose ides? I can I just gotta buy a 02 or earlier Prevost or even earlier Newell.

I think the manufactures are missing a demographic or am I alone?
I just attended an RV show in Portland, and noticed that Fleetwood and one other (can't remember which) were offering a DP with one slide up front. It would be better on the road, and it was surprisingly spacious with one slide out. It might be a reasonable compromise for you. As for the twin beds...uh just UGH.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would give up my bedroom slide in a heart beat. Climbing on/over the bed to get a jacket out of the closet is just not worth it.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #10

We are enjoying the beginning of our 4th year and in our 2nd 36' Foretravel. They have built many custom no slide or single slide units, for buyers that wanted to avoid the possible issues.

For us, it's no slides, no leaks or rattles, huge overhead storage, huge pass thru bay storage below, large windows, simple designs that work. Great quality, fit and finish, factory support, and standard features like transmission retarder braking, and larger tanks than on most other brands and models we studied, or see today.

We have spent about 60+ nights a year, split between traveling and longer multi day stays. We have had 7 weeks now with my mom, who loves to travel, enjoys the passenger chair position, and was 85 this year.

I would like to also add to Kasebeau2's original request. Bring back the mid door entry. We are on our second mid door Foretravel. The DW loves having her nest of things, slippers, computer, purse and the dog bed in an area that never gets traffic in and out. The passenger does not have to allow access going in and out. The step cover sliding floor is never any bother to her. Her chair is about a 1' further forward and better for chatting without me turning so far. The mid door is under the main awning in the rain. The mid door is quieter than the front door coaches we have driven. The mid door is usually better placed with most patio setups. It is easy to step out to the BBQ without walking thru the party sitting around the saloon. The mid door step is never far from the ground after we level.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
HHg

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
I see your point,but,like they say,"to each their own" I wouldn't have another one without slides.
Agreed......my first RV was a Class C on the sprinter chassis (no slides)....got rid of it quick for Class A with slides so I could sleep at night. Couldn't give me a non-slide RV.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My Dutch Star has a lot of windows. It is also very easy to get around in with slides in. My bedroom slide is the closet and where the coats are put we have no problems. We love this MH and look at others and never see one we would want to replace it with, Jim
Old 03-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The perfect coach for you would be the one Robin Williams used in his movie RV. It had a big living room slide when they were camping but when he was driving magically there was no slide.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #14

To each his own. I'm not a fan of slides. When we looked for our current RV having no slides was a requirement. Just more to eventually go wrong. They add weight and I'd rather have the cargo capacity. It's just my wife and I and the dog so we don't need a lot of walk around space. Ours is 101" wide and gives us plenty of room. We found a floor plan we liked with a queen bed in the back that is is not sandwiched in the corner.

When we travel we can park and don't have to worry about extending slides. We actually looked at one model that without the slide extended the mattress was folded and the bed was unusable. Very poor design and would have never worked for our use.
For someone with a lot of kids/people on board they are probably a good idea if you are planing on being stuck inside a lot but they are not for us.

Tags
slide