Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

Bring your TV on a USB stick.

We live in the country where the only outside contact is via satellite. Remember C-band? We had a 12' dish about 300' from the house because we are in the woods. We have DISH with a second dish for internet. (Hughes, I guess) ...and at $200+ at monthly it is a scam - loaded with stuff we would never watch and a marginal internet connection. (we often have to step outside to get 2 bars on a cell phone)

So... what I do is download programming off my Comcast account at my business in town. We have a basic plan to the extent I don't know what it is - other than it always does what I need.

I use a little program from Germany called Audials Moviebox. Unfortunately, it is PC only so I had to buy a PC laptop to use it.
(a cheap laptop did not work because its processor was not capable - check the specs first) The program was a little fiddly a couple of years ago, but I don't have many problems now.

With my Amazon Prime account, and shifting from Netflicks and Hulu, I download all sorts of series and movies to a USB stick that I carry home. I will often download HBO programming (we don't have the DISH recorder) to play back at a better time.

I also upgraded my USB stick to a portable drive called a Passport from WD. It's $50 and 1TB and loads very fast compared to the typical stick. Movies on Audial will stop when they are over, but many series will keep downloading until the season is over.

Not having watched local network TV for at least two decades, I want to make sure we have plenty of books and alternatives for our first trip.

Jim

https://audials.com/en/moviebox/audi..._software.html
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

I just download all I want on my $49 Kindle. No special software necessary.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #3

I do that with Plex, Kodi and a Roku. With the exception of the Roku (which plays the content from Plex) it's free. Plex organizes all of it for me and I use Kodi to save some additional programs.

Having said that, it's always interesting to see what other options are out there.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I just download all I want on my $49 Kindle. No special software necessary.
Do you have a older Kindle?
I had an older one that still had the HDMI port, it got stolen, I replaced it with a Fire 10 No HDMI port,,,,,
It was nice being able to plug into a larger screen and watch saved movies.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #5

"I just download all I want on my $49 Kindle."

Excellent. That's information I didn't have at the time. Thanks.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #6

We have Amazon Fire Stick to pick up Netflix,Hulu, Amazon Prime movies, and a lot more. Even when the local channels don’t pick up, we can use it with our portable hot spot. We are not going to get satellite till we are retired and going for long periods of time.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #7

Am also getting the audials to recited things to take. Tried them all and that is the best I found. Also have to install windows on one of my macs to use but ok if it works which it does.

We are getting dish at the house and will be getting a dish to go also. Basically directly download recorded from the dvr to take with us if wanted.

Have prime also and can download some to phone to take but they restrict how many - hence the audials above.

But then again we are camping so don’t watch much just nice to have the options.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote