RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
IC2

Broken window - HELP !!

I have a broken side window. How it happened is 'officially' unknown.

Locally, I have not found a source of a piece of tempered and dark tinted glass but lack of others COVID safety is hampering my search.

I have tried the internet which has been less then a roaring success.

My questions - is there any way to ID a Hehr window without breaking the seal and pulling completely out to access their sticker hidden on the inside of the frame. It's a fairly small opening pane in a large 47x57 window,

additionally, Has anyone found a glass shop that will make up a replacement piece of tempered and tinted glass? Location is not a factor.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #2

We had a side window get broken (also "officially" unknown cause) and our local RV repair shop (RV World in Weatherford, Texas - they're terrific) was able to get a replacement from a glass shop locally. It had rounded corners, dark tinted, tempered, etc. You can't tell by looking which one "somebody" managed to break out.

I don't know what size of a town you're in, but ours is about 35,000 people and it was a local glass shop and the glass shop did the install at the RV repair center.

Keep searching.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #3

After much searching with no luck I finally found a can do glass guy who came to the CG & had the cracked glass out & replaced with lexan in about an hour.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
After much searching with no luck I finally found a can do glass guy who came to the CG & had the cracked glass out & replaced with lexan in about an hour.

That's a temporary possibility along with some dark window film. I might even just have a piece of clear tempered glass cut with that film too until I can get the proper piece. COVID has not helped my glass shop search as here in Upstate NY, it's gotten bad and too many folks are not being careful
Old 11-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #5

i don't think you can cut tempered glass, it has to be cut from regular glass then tempered and there aren't many places that do it in smaller towns.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
i don't think you can cut tempered glass, it has to be cut from regular glass then tempered and there aren't many places that do it in smaller towns.
Jay D.

I'm not really in a small town as there is about 1.2 million in the NY Capital District. My problem has been finding a glass shop that will go the extra inch to find the dark tint color.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #7

Tempered glass is done by heating it to above 1000 F and cooling it. Once tempered, you can not cut it.

You will need to find someone who has a tempering oven.

You may be better off going with safety glass, which has a plastic lamanent between sheets. Windshields are made with it. That can be cut.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #8
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Tempered glass is done by heating it to above 1000 F and cooling it. Once tempered, you can not cut it.

You will need to find someone who has a tempering oven.

You may be better off going with safety glass, which has a plastic laminent between sheets. Windshields are made with it. That can be cut.

Yep, I'm well aware of what it takes to make tempered glass - and yes, laminated safety glass is on the table as well. What I'm trying to do is match the rest of the window without having to replace the entire assembly

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that RV builders don't use laminated safety glass. It has to be less expensive plus it wont break up in 1/4" pieces when hit with a sharp object. That would at least leave you with a window even if cracked or broken badly
Old 11-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I have a broken side window. How it happened is 'officially' unknown.

Locally, I have not found a source of a piece of tempered and dark tinted glass but lack of others COVID safety is hampering my search.

I have tried the internet which has been less then a roaring success.

My questions - is there any way to ID a Hehr window without breaking the seal and pulling completely out to access their sticker hidden on the inside of the frame. It's a fairly small opening pane in a large 47x57 window,

additionally, Has anyone found a glass shop that will make up a replacement piece of tempered and tinted glass? Location is not a factor.
I had the front, side window replaced by Binswanger Glass in Little Rock, Arkansas. It was the one right behind the side mirror in this photo except on the driver's side. They used the one on the passenger side to make a paper template. It was ordered on a Tuesday as I remember and installed on Friday. Binswanger has locations all over the country. The replacement even has the black areas around the edges that the original had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02100.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	308821  
Old 11-22-2020, 06:26 AM   #10
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
I had the front, side window replaced by Binswanger Glass in Little Rock, Arkansas. It was the one right behind the side mirror in this photo except on the driver's side. They used the one on the passenger side to make a paper template. It was ordered on a Tuesday as I remember and installed on Friday. Binswanger has locations all over the country. The replacement even has the black areas around the edges that the original had.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there is no nearby location (Virginia is nearest) though it may be worth a call to see if they can supply a piece of glass based on me supplying a template..
Old 11-22-2020, 06:48 AM   #11

Guardian makes or supplies glass for RVs.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there is no nearby location (Virginia is nearest) though it may be worth a call to see if they can supply a piece of glass based on me supplying a template..
Binswanger ordered the glass custom made out of Oklahoma. I'm sure other glass companies could do the same.

Good luck to you.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #13

Back in 2019 i struggled to find a replacement glass in our KZ 1500 i finally got hooked up with a gal at Lippert who knew exactly what I needed an d got it made and shipped to me. PM me if you want her name
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM   #14
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
Back in 2019 i struggled to find a replacement glass in our KZ 1500 i finally got hooked up with a gal at Lippert who knew exactly what I needed an d got it made and shipped to me. PM me if you want her name

Thanks for the tip.

I never even considered looking at their parts website which I just did. Lippert actually has an on line quote service which I will give a try.

Tags
wind, window